The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-27-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
In all honesty I think I could be satisfied with a UST+IR if it wasn't the element. I could get along fine with a Matrix or another that doesn't impact the unplugged tone of the guitar too much.

I'm not stuck at home though I still consider myself lucky to be working full time through this mess. A part of me is a little jealous as I could make good use of that time!

Agreed, I'm certainly an SBT guy for sure. It's too bad they couldn't make the element have less of an impact on the acoustic voice of a guitar.
Though I am retired, collecting SS as of last year, I work a three month, three day a week engineering contract in medical electronics every year. I have five weeks remaining on this one. Then, I will have three rest of the year to fiddle about with my guitars. Though for me "fiddling about" simply means exploring making music on the guitar. That is one of the great things about the McPherson - what you see is what you get, no "opening up", no neck shifting, probably no fret wearing with EVO frets - just the same guitar year after year, or as the song says "same as it always was...".

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-27-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Though I am retired, collecting SS as of last year, I work a three month, three day a week engineering contract in medical electronics every year. I have five weeks remaining on this one. Then, I will have three rest of the year to fiddle about with my guitars. Though for me "fiddling about" simply means exploring making music on the guitar. That is one of the great things about the McPherson - what you see is what you get, no "opening up", no neck shifting, probably no fret wearing with EVO frets - just the same guitar year after year, or as the song says "same as it always was...".

Tony
Agreed. I put my Emeralds through the cold and the heat test long ago by leaving them in the truck all day and night in both extreme temperatures. The Sable should hold up the same. I must say this guitar really did kill the GAS I had for a high end wood guitar. I hope it lasts!
Old 04-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Agreed. I put my Emeralds through the cold and the heat test long ago by leaving them in the truck all day and night in both extreme temperatures. The Sable should hold up the same. I must say this guitar really did kill the GAS I had for a high end wood guitar. I hope it lasts!
I think it will. The Sable has a habit of growing on you. I have a really nice Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition that I bought last October when visiting my wife's sisters in Arkansas and it has been in its case while the Sable is getting played. I wasn't sure if that would happen, but it did.

Lately, I have been arranging chord melody solos of standards (Great American Songbook stuff) on the Sable and it is just fun to do, playing with harmony like fitting pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together.

I can just set the Sable down and not be concerned about humidity or dryness at all, take a break for a while, and come back and do some more arranging. Freedom at last.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-27-2020, 05:54 PM

Default NGD: McPherson Sable Gold Honeycomb + Review

Quote:

I’ve been playing the Sable almost exclusively and I have two beautiful Martins. Heck, I’ve been reaching for the 12 string more frequently than the Martins to play and record. I still want a McPherson wood guitar, but I can never justify that much money for an instrument. I’m very happy with the choices I have now. That said, I would trade the Sable for another McPherson carbon fiber, if they ever make one based on their full sized guitar. That would be bonkers.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I’ve been playing the Sable almost exclusively and I have two beautiful Martins. Heck, I’ve been reaching for the 12 string more frequently than the Martins to play and record. I still want a McPherson wood guitar, but I can never justify that much money for an instrument. I’m very happy with the choices I have now. That said, I would trade the Sable for another McPherson carbon fiber, if they ever make one based on their full sized guitar. That would be bonkers.
If you ever get the chance, try a McPherson Camrielle, which is the wood version of the Sable. I have yet to find and play one, but the comparison would be interesting. The full size wood McPherson is too large for me to play comfortably.

https://mcphersonguitars.com/product-tag/camrielle/

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-27-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I think it will. The Sable has a habit of growing on you. I have a really nice Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition that I bought last October when visiting my wife's sisters in Arkansas and it has been in its case while the Sable is getting played. I wasn't sure if that would happen, but it did.

Lately, I have been arranging chord melody solos of standards (Great American Songbook stuff) on the Sable and it is just fun to do, playing with harmony like fitting pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together.

I can just set the Sable down and not be concerned about humidity or dryness at all, take a break for a while, and come back and do some more arranging. Freedom at last.

Tony
Absolutely but I don't think it can grow on me any more than it has already. I still have a few wood guitars kicking around, including a Gibson that survived my purge years ago.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Doesn't surprise me at all. It has a great tone and can stay out unharmed taunting you to play it.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:52 PM

Instead of creating a new thread I'll throw this here. After waiting for weeks for a string order through Amazon they finally showed up yesterday. Well I ordered 4 packs of D'addario XT 80/20"s and they sent me one pack, yayyy Amazon. Anyway I threw them on the Sable yesterday and after playing for several hours yesterday and today I can safely say I like 80/20's better on this guitar, not that phosphor bronze were bad by no means. The XT strings are a touch louder than Elixirs though I know from previous experience that they don't last quite as long but I like the feel better as well. Now I'm sitting here wondering if I'll ever receive my other 3 packs.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Instead of creating a new thread I'll throw this here. After waiting for weeks for a string order through Amazon they finally showed up yesterday. Well I ordered 4 packs of D'addario XT 80/20"s and they sent me one pack, yayyy Amazon. Anyway I threw them on the Sable yesterday and after playing for several hours yesterday and today I can safely say I like 80/20's better on this guitar, not that phosphor bronze were bad by no means. The XT strings are a touch louder than Elixirs though I know from previous experience that they don't last quite as long but I like the feel better as well. Now I'm sitting here wondering if I'll ever receive my other 3 packs.
Well, now you have me thinking that when it is time to change strings on my Sable(s), maybe I should give a try with a pack of my EJ-16s. Always fun to try something different. I do like the Elixir HD Lights though.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-22-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, A Lot, GuitarLuva! You've given me GAS for a McPherson Sable Gold Honeycomb!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-22-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks, A Lot, GuitarLuva! You've given me GAS for a McPherson Sable Gold Honeycomb!
Well, dang it! It's about time you got a new guitar.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-22-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Well, now you have me thinking that when it is time to change strings on my Sable(s), maybe I should give a try with a pack of my EJ-16s. Always fun to try something different. I do like the Elixir HD Lights though.

Tony
It is fun trying different strings. I really like Elixir strings but I always find myself missing the bite from other strings when I use them for too long. I also have some Santa Cruz strings en route, looking forward to trying those on my wooden guitars.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Ken, I don't want to get you in trouble! However, I see your collection is constantly growing so maybe you should buy a Sable. They're great guitars and I'm sure you would love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber