The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-19-2020, 04:03 PM

Default Zoom H6, SSH-6, AG6/S-mic test.

I just put this test up on YouTube. The goal has been to record myself singing and playing guitar. The things I am trying to achieve are the following:

Note that in this video I am using the H6 as a USB mic/mixer, not as a stand-alone recorder.

1) The mic can be in frame but I don’t want it to block my face.
2) I want less background noise than I would get with one mic picking up both the guitar and vocal.
3) I want control of the guitar/vocal blend
4) I want to use the direct audio from my excellent Schertler AG-6/S-mic pickup with the mic turned up.
5) I want the system to be usable with any video recording app, or with Zoom or Facebook Live.
6) I want to be able to use it outside on battery power.
7) I want the setup to be relatively simple and inexpensive yet to sound very good.

Here is the test video:
https://youtu.be/gBuRGq7I6nI

Last edited by lkingston; 05-19-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:52 PM

...and the same recording with a little reverb added in post:

https://youtu.be/ySMkQkRd29k
Old 05-19-2020, 08:43 PM

Default Zoom H6, SSH-6, AG6/S-mic test.

I am so happy with the sound using the Zoom H6/SSH-6 as a USB mic/mixer this way! This is about the same quality I get in my studio setup, except that it is mobile and the shotgun mic doesn’t cover my face.

My studio is just a boring bedroom and I really wanted to be able to record in prettier settings. I also didn’t like the fact that as much as I love the sound and room rejection of the SM7B, you have to be so close to it that it really blocks your face most of the time. The shotgun mic and the guitar pickup/mic blend will really keep the background noise down in outdoor pretty settings.

I also wanted to avoid the step of synching audio and video, which this does.

I also wanted really great sound for Zoom and Facebook live. I believe this does it as well as is currently possible (although it likely will trigger the Zoom level compression more than the Apogee Hype Mic with it’s analog compression).

In the studio I was recording the mic and guitar on separate channels and mixing them, but I can do that by panning the shotgun mic all the way left and the guitar all the way right. If I was using a pickup without a mic blend, I would just pan the vocal mic all the way right and both the pickup and the guitar mic all the way left. If I really want complete channel independence I can still use the H6 as a standalone recorder and sync the tracks in the video editor.

For someone without a mic/pickup blend system, you could also plug the guitar pickup into one channel and a mic on the guitar on another.

It would also work well with my mirror less camera since the H6 line output can now be adjusted down to mic levels.

As I compare this to my recordings where I use a single mic for both the guitar and vocals, I like the sound of this a whole lot better!

I am one happy guy! This is the sound I’ve been looking for!

Last edited by lkingston; 05-19-2020 at 09:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD