The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-09-2019, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the great replies. All of them.

I've decided I have no need for any pedals at this time. I think I was kidding myself. Especially in the way that the amp has a ton of onboard effects. I just need to zero in on different tones for different tunes.

That said, would a compression pedal be good for sustain, alone.?? I certainly don't want to limit the "signal." I don't like that sound. Not at this point anyways. And that goes right to the dynamic thing as previously mentioned above. I can live with the highs and lows for now. I want sustain.

Anyways... I play a lot of single note melodies. Would a compression pedal be good for sustain.??
Old 12-09-2019, 04:28 PM

A compression pedal evens out the sound of the notes when you are playing and it's probably the least popular of any pedals out there, save for a lot of country pickers. (And even then).

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2019, 04:39 PM

A compressor can also be handy before a distortion/overdrive pedal, or a similar setting on your amp, to increase sustain for legato type lead playing. You can leave it off for rhythm then kick it in for a bit of boost and sustain for the lead work.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post

I've decided I have no need for any pedals at this time. I think I was kidding myself. Especially in the way that the amp has a ton of onboard effects. I just need to zero in on different tones for different tunes.

That said, would a compression pedal be good for sustain, alone.?? I certainly don't want to limit the "signal." I don't like that sound. Not at this point anyways. And that goes right to the dynamic thing as previously mentioned above. I can live with the highs and lows for now. I want sustain.

Anyways... I play a lot of single note melodies. Would a compression pedal be good for sustain.??
Yes, a compression pedal can be used for sustain; however, you lose dynamics in your playing. I find a very short delay and some reverb can help add a little girth to your notes. Overdrive can add sustain as well.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Does your amp has reverb and delay? Another way to add (the illusion) of sustain is with some delay. Listen to David Gilmour how his solos are so spacey and his notes seem to hold on forever. He does use a compressor with the delay, but that tone is mostly delay.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:47 PM

I like the onboard delay. Once again, just to be clear, my amp is a Fender Champ 20. The tremolo is fantastic. The reverb is okay. The chorus is pretty good. The wah isn't bad but, even with the tones I like, they need to be pushed with the FX level, gain and volume to really get the full effect on most settings. I prefer to play at a volume of 3 or 4 and gain 3 or 4 or 5 and FX level around 5.

Can I get to a tone like John Mayer in this link.?? I'd like anyone to listen to the first 2 and half minutes. Or begin listening at about the 1:40 mark. His tone is just fantastic to me. How do I get there.?? Is his tone here what you would call clean with overdrive.?? Some reverb in there.?? He's playing with the dead doing Cold, Rain and Snow.

Also, I'd like to hear more about dynamic playing. I understand it to be technique. Harmonics. Hammer on's and pull-offs. Dynamic playing is about tone and tonal changes. Pick attack. It's how one colors their playing. Dynamics add culture to the music. Am I warm here.??.....

PLease keep this thread going. I'm learning a lot and I appreciate you all pitching in. And I really want to say this.... I'm playing really good right now. The new Yamaha electric is really just out of this world. I'm playing rythym in ways I never have before. And my melodies are prettier. I'm full on electric right now.!! Right when I didn't think there was an electric guitar made for me. Yamaha did it. And I love this little Fender amp. Powerfull.

Thanks everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygnOuNoBwek

Last edited by 3notes; 12-09-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I'm one guitarist and I don't know a lot of tricks to fill in the holes.
A looper. Get a simple looper pedal so you can play along with yourself. My first pedal was a very simple Ditto Looper and it's come in handy for laying down backing tracks for both electric and acoustic playing.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I'd rather put my money toward a nice tube amp. Learn how to play it. Then later decide if I want to add effects.
Quote:
...I've decided I have no need for any pedals at this time. I think I was kidding myself...I just need to zero in on different tones for different tunes...
Smart move, and if you've got $400 here's a great starting point - handles a 600-700 seat house with no problem, powers down for home practice, and as many happy owners here on the AGF will tell you it's most likely all the amp you'll ever need with more tone than anything this inexpensive has the right to have:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...itar-combo-amp

Old 12-09-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I like the onboard delay. Once again, just to be clear, my amp is a Fender Champ 20. The tremolo is fantastic. The reverb is okay. The chorus is pretty good. The wah isn't bad but, even with the tones I like, they need to be pushed with the FX level, gain and volume to really get the full effect on most settings. I prefer to play at a volume of 3 or 4 and gain 3 or 4 or 5 and FX level around 5.

Can I get to a tone like John Mayer in this link.?? I'd like anyone to listen to the first 2 and half minutes. Or begin listening at about the 1:40 mark. His tone is just fantastic to me. How do I get there.?? Is his tone here what you would call clean with overdrive.?? Some reverb in there.?? He's playing with the dead doing Cold, Rain and Snow.

Also, I'd like to hear more about dynamic playing. I understand it to be technique. Harmonics. Hammer on's and pull-offs. Dynamic playing is about tone and tonal changes. Pick attack. It's how one colors their playing. Dynamics add culture to the music. Am I warm here.??.....

PLease keep this thread going. I'm learning a lot and I appreciate you all pitching in. And I really want to say this.... I'm playing really good right now. The new Yamaha electric is really just out of this world. I'm playing rythym in ways I never have before. And my melodies are prettier. I'm full on electric right now.!! Right when I didn't think there was an electric guitar made for me. Yamaha did it. And I love this little Fender amp. Powerfull.

Thanks everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygnOuNoBwek
I have been playing various versions of electric guitars since 1978 and I have been picking up pedals along the way. I have way more than I would like to admit.

In the end, I think a multi-effects unit that is not too complicated can be a huge help. Something like the Boss ME-80. I have it's older brother, the ME-70. They keep upgrading these things. Considering that so many well made pedals are around $150 today, the ME-80 at $300 seems like a good deal. It takes time to learn how to use these devices, and if you hate that kind of effort, maybe a multi-effects unit is not right for you.

I still have all my pedals. I think a good compressor can be helpful, but I don't think it's that good for giving you a John Mayer sound. It gives you a nice early Mark Knopfler sound, however. The pedal I used most of the time to give me the on-the-edge overdrive sound that John Mayer produces so often was the Boss Blues Driver.

I never liked a lot of effects or a lot of distortion, though I have always liked good reverb. And sometimes I like old fashioned tremolo. Mostly though I liked being on the edge and producing the overdrive sound depending on dynamics. Or a slight change in volume knob or volume pedal position can take you there.

I recently picked up a very inexpensive and yet great sounding pedal from Joyo that emulates the sound of a Fender Tweed Deluxe. It really does a very good job and sounds very convincing for $40. It provides a great deal of control and can put you on that edge between clean and overdrive very nicely. I have been having a lot of fun with mine even though I just got it a couple of days ago.

- Glenn
Old 12-10-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
...I never liked a lot of effects or a lot of distortion, though I have always liked good reverb. And sometimes I like old fashioned tremolo. Mostly though I liked being on the edge and producing the overdrive sound depending on dynamics. Or a slight change in volume knob or volume pedal position can take you there...
Real old-school electric guitar tone at its finest: guitar-cable-amp, onboard trem/verb, and ride the sweet spot with touch and picking dynamics alone - sad to say that's becoming largely a lost art...

These kids have it too stinkin' easy, Glenn...
Old 12-10-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Does your amp has reverb and delay? Another way to add (the illusion) of sustain is with some delay. Listen to David Gilmour how his solos are so spacey and his notes seem to hold on forever. He does use a compressor with the delay, but that tone is mostly delay.
Yes. The amp has delay and reverb. I like that.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Yes. The amp has delay and reverb. I like that.
Yep, that's all I need. (Perhaps a little tremolo also).
Old 12-10-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Real old-school electric guitar tone at its finest: guitar-cable-amp, onboard trem/verb, and ride the sweet spot with touch and picking dynamics alone - sad to say that's becoming largely a lost art...

These kids have it too stinkin' easy, Glenn...

Ok boomer. [emoji1787]

Lol refer to the open mic thread. [emoji13]
Old 12-10-2019, 08:48 AM

Get a multi FX pedal. Yes, I get it that your amp has effects, but you also have to go over to the amp, lean down and turn knobs to affect change.

Get a Zoom G1Four or G1FourX. Most of the presets are crap, but you can delete and add amp models, pedal, cab sims. There is a small learning curve, but not difficult to learn. You can build and use a lot of very usable tones.

The ability to use several effects at once is a huge advantage over just your amp alone. Overdrive, phaser, flanger, tremelo, vibrato, reverb, delay, chorus, etc - too many to remember. Set you amp up for great cleans and then just add dirt or effects through your pedal. I have a couple of fantastic OD pedals, but use my Zoom for gigging, as it runs on batteries and no need for a power supply + it has a small footprint.

You may want a tube amp later, or maybe not - it depends on how far you take it. I have 3, but usually opt for using an amp sim pedal straight into the PA now. Most people cannot hear the difference.

If you do go the tube amp route, a good multi FX unit will only sound better with it and you'll know how to use it.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-10-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I'd rather put my money toward a nice tube amp. Learn how to play it. Then later decide if I want to add effects.
This is good advice. I’ve been gigging for decades and I rarely use any pedals. A good amp will take you places no pedal will go, especially if playing in a band situation.
I have a lot of respect for players that know how to use pedals only when needed but I prefer the sound of an amp and guitar. FWIW my use is in blues, southern rock, classic rock situations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars