The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Many years ago when I started to gig, I played the only guitar I owned. Many years later when I owned some very nice guitars, I decided that I needed a "gigging guitar." I bought an (at the time) not too expensive Taylor 314CE. Nice guitar, certainly a competent pro-grade instrument played plugged in most of the time. I played that on stage for over a year and then decided to gig with one of my nicer guitars. At issue was the amount of practice time required and playing a guitar that didn't really float my boat like the other ones for all that time. I found that I would rather play a guitar that I loved all the time instead of one that I didn't love as much. I learned something from that experience. Since that time I have avoided "gigging guitars." That's been 18 years now, and I have gotten a few dings in my nice guitars but I've loved playing them on stage and in rehearsals and I believe that that love shows in my playing. As usual, YMMV.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
OP: Since we don't know what guitar you favor now, or the style(s) you play, it tends to devolve quickly to wild guesses where everyone just throws out their favorite 'budget' instrument.

Can you give a little more detail? Flatpick, fingerpick?

That Yamaha is a good generic choice. I think much more highly of Eastman, though not sure if they are available in the UK.
I've updated my signature to cover what i own.

A lot of instruments from a UK Luthier called David Oddy who is sadly no longer around though his son now makes and carries on the business.

The Sigma was a possibility but its 1 of only 120 made in Solid Adi and Solid Madagascan Rosewood so no actually easily replaceable despite relative low cost.

I play a mix, English/ Celtic fingerstyle (Martin Simpson, Martin Carthy ect) in alternative tunings but also Richard Shindell, Eric Taylor, Richard Thompson ect too.
Fylde Falstaff- Sitka/ Rio Rosewood
Maestro 00-IR- Adi/ Rosewood
Yamaha LL-16D- Spruce/ Rosewood in Black
David Oddy Mandocello- Sitka/ Indian Rosewood
G7th Capos and Elixir Nanoweb PB 13-56
Old 05-30-2020, 05:51 AM

I agree with AZLiberty. I had a 0001XAE & it was great for it's price. But because the top would move a bit with climate change & nothing else would give(stratbond, HPL etc), I had to really humidify otherwise it would start to buzz etc. If you keep it humidified you shouldn't have a problem. I love Yamahas for their price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
These are great guitars for gigging, but they are actually far more susceptible to damage from low humidity than wood or laminate guitars.

Seen more of these with cracked tops than any other design. The HPL doesn't contract at all with low humidity which means more strain on the top.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:56 AM

Another vote for Takamine. But I would also give Epiphone a look. Maybe even a Gibson G45.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 05-30-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
If you can swing it, a Cole Clark would fit the bill. Interesting wood and a ready to go pickup system. A friend has the three way and can blend the mic, the UST, or the SBT depending on situation.
I have had one for 13 years, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. It sounds truly great plugged in, and I can attest that the Fat Lady series are TOUGH. It's had things happen to it that no other wooden guitar would survive intact. I've done hundreds of gigs on it and lent it out at open mics etc.

It's 'ok' unplugged. But only 'ok', if you get me.

In the daylight, at home, it looks badly put together and always has. There are sanding marks on it and loads of filler visible around the inlays. When I got it I took a look inside with a small camera and a light and the braces looked barely sanded and crudely shaped. I contacted Cole Clarke to ask if it was a second, they confirmed that it was NOT. Then I sent them pics and they agreed it was sub-par, but promptly told me that because the (at the time) sole UK dealer had ceased dealing with them, he was considered it's first owner and thus I had no warranty. I swore at the guy (I had called Australia because I doubted the email I had was legit) and he hung up on me.

But since then I've hammered it to hell and back and it's held up fine. I have had compliments about the sound numerous times and it looks different enough that people ask me about it a lot. So with all the above said, I'd get one to gig with again.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 05-30-2020, 12:58 PM

I don’t gig, and likely never will with my personal guitar goals, but the virtues of carbon fiber would make it my go to suggestion. I say this as an owner of one. This is especially true plugged in...Even unplugged some of the good ones are great sounding, but plugged it’s a no brainer.

Price is a barrier depending on budget, but if one could stretch their budget and make it work I think it would make for a great experience....No environmental concerns, tough as nails, etc...

Best of luck
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-30-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
Another vote for Takamine. But I would also give Epiphone a look. Maybe even a Gibson G45.
The G45 is tempting but almost sold out everywhere in the UK and would be roughly the equivalent to $1050.

Older Tak's are harder to come by in the UK

The LL16D in Black is the way i'm thinking, partly because i can get one brand new for $880
Fylde Falstaff- Sitka/ Rio Rosewood
Maestro 00-IR- Adi/ Rosewood
Yamaha LL-16D- Spruce/ Rosewood in Black
David Oddy Mandocello- Sitka/ Indian Rosewood
G7th Capos and Elixir Nanoweb PB 13-56
Old 05-30-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarisrshevy View Post
The G45 is tempting but almost sold out everywhere in the UK and would be roughly the equivalent to $1050.

Older Tak's are harder to come by in the UK

The LL16D in Black is the way i'm thinking, partly because i can get one brand new for $880
The LL-16 will serve you well. Solid build and great tone. Nice pickup and no batteries to deal with.
Black would make for a great looking gigging guitar.
The gig bag that my LL-16-12 came in is nice but no place for extras.
You may want to upgrade to a hard case at some point.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:04 PM

Another vote for Takamine. EF-341C, new or used are worth every penny.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 06-11-2020, 07:21 AM

I will be installing a LRBaggs Lyric in my Larrivee OM 40. Perfect for the local open mic night.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:49 AM

Not sure what style the OP is playing, but my gigging (100% finger-style) is done on Taylor 414 and 712 Nylons. There are also lower priced series. If you have not played a good hybrid lately, you might want to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion