The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 07:57 AM

Default Furch guitar comparison - input welcome!

Hi all

As I played both my Furch OM's this week (and with half an eye on having to ket one go if I order a custom build) I got to thinking how different they sound - and how I like both but..

I would love to hear others opinions on what they hear and what they like in these two different guitars, so I recorded a section of O'Carolan's Fanny Power on both.

Guitar 1 is cedar top and mahogany B/S and guitar 2 is Sitka spruce top and Indian RW back and sides.

Strings were different - guitar 1 is on DR Sunbeam lights and guitar 2 is on D'Addario true mediums.

They have both only had levels adjusted (matched I hope) and a high pass to cut some room noise - nothing else.

The break between the two is at just under 2 mins in case you want to jump.

Thanks for your input..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-24-2020, 09:03 AM

They both sound great but the second one, the spruce/rw one, sounds really special. More depth, more overtones as it's rosewood but the medium strings may also account for that.

That's what my ears are telling me.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 AM

I prefer the warm,th of guitar1, but for that particular air I prefer the slightly 'harpier' sound of guitar 2.
Hardly surprising given the composer I suppose.
I really wouldn’t want to have to have to pick without having heard a wee assortment.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:30 AM
Get off my lawn kid

The cedar doesn't sound as warm as I expected cedar to sound. Maybe it does in person?
The spruce top sounds more what I expected the cedar to sound like. True mediums have a 13 17 and a 56, but the 3 to 5 are the same as lights.

I like the spruce top better in this comparison. Now I'm rethinking my Furch cedar desire. I wonder if the rosewood is really making the difference too.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-24-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The cedar doesn't sound as warm as I expected cedar to sound. Maybe it does in person?
The spruce top sounds more what I expected the cedar to sound like. True mediums have a 13 17 and a 56, but the 3 to 5 are the same as lights.

I like the spruce top better in this comparison. Now I'm rethinking my Furch cedar desire. I wonder if the rosewood is really making the difference too.

Hi Barry

In this comparison I hear more of the back and side woods than the top. The Rosewood gives way more overtones and (to my ears at least) less clarity - which is a shame as I like clarity.

The mahogany also offers more bass and certainly more mids as opposed to the slight scoop in the rosewood.

Funnily enough - as much as I am drawn to the spruce/RW combo I prefer the clarity and balance (and warmth) of the cedar/mahogany in this piece.

I feel that the spruce guitar should have more cut and clarity than it does..

Peter

Old 05-24-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
They both sound great but the second one, the spruce/rw one, sounds really special. More depth, more overtones as it's rosewood but the medium strings may also account for that.

That's what my ears are telling me.

Thanks Charles - I was looking for that in my recordings but find myself gravitating to the sound of guitar 1 as I think I am drawn to the warmth and clarity of it.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:57 AM

I think the SR sounds richer to me, but I've always loved Rosewood more.

The CM sounds great, but also, was expecting it to be warmer.

As others have said, it seems the bass is a bit more muddied, although richer to my ear on the SR.

It seems to me that perhaps a Cocobolo B/S OM might be really special. I find that since Coco is 'glassier' it also gives all the sparkle of EIR, but cleans up the bass a bit.

Also, you should really try some 80/20 strings on your Rosewood. I find they work really well with my Coco/Alpine G Furch. (I really like the EXP's even more than traditional D'Addario actually).
Old 05-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I think the SR sounds richer to me, but I've always loved Rosewood more.

The CM sounds great, but also, was expecting it to be warmer.

As others have said, it seems the bass is a bit more muddied, although richer to my ear on the SR.

It seems to me that perhaps a Cocobolo B/S OM might be really special. I find that since Coco is 'glassier' it also gives all the sparkle of EIR, but cleans up the bass a bit.

Also, you should really try some 80/20 strings on your Rosewood. I find they work really well with my Coco/Alpine G Furch. (I really like the EXP's even more than traditional D'Addario actually).

Thanks for the input - muddy bass I agree with, hence the clarity comment I think..

Spruce/RW guitar is definitely richer in tone but can, as a result, lack the cut.

The cedar topped guitar may be showing the effect of new strings, as they had only been on a few hours..

Old 05-24-2020, 11:29 AM

the first guitar sounds tinny to me. I wouldnt keep that one
Old 05-24-2020, 12:28 PM

#2....definitely 2

but if you had not told me they were diff guitars I doubt I would be able to tell. It was that close. Had to go back and forth a bunch of times
Old 05-24-2020, 12:55 PM

Both nice but definitely prefer the first one in this recording. It has more clarity and a woody sound which I like.

Hard choice.......

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 05-24-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
Both nice but definitely prefer the first one in this recording. It has more clarity and a woody sound which I like.

Hard choice.......

Glad it’s not just me Phil - I really felt the first one just had more clarity and bite to it. The second one just felt a little muted in comparison.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymuzzle View Post
I prefer the warm,th of guitar1, but for that particular air I prefer the slightly 'harpier' sound of guitar 2.

Hardly surprising given the composer I suppose.

I really wouldn’t want to have to have to pick without having heard a wee assortment.

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:28 PM

The Cedar/hog sounds fuller in the midrange to me, that's the one I prefer. I'm not very fond of rosewood's scooped mids, but of course that's a matter of taste
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 05-25-2020, 07:10 AM

From a process-of-elimination standpoint, there is no worthwhile comparison. there are too many variables - two different tops, but two different B/Ss and two different strings.

I made a point of trying to forget what you said each one was, but I would have thought the second one was cedar and the first spruce, but that may be the influence of the B/S woods or the strings. To my old ears, the first one felt clearer, then second one richer but almost to the point of muddy.

If you have to get rid of one, our opinions are irrelevant. Which ones feels exciting to play and invites you to step up your game? For me, if I were to have two Furch guitars (I have a cedar/RW Gc), I would want two different tops more than any other consideration since that is the bigger influencer on tone. .

Last edited by SkipII; 05-30-2020 at 03:02 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion