The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-20-2020, 11:04 AM

Default NAMM changes for the Sable?

Hi all, I haven't given up after my not-so-successful attempt at ordering an X30. An X20 might be the next logical option but I don't want 24 frets and a custom fret count would make it too custom to return. I'm still a little worried about the same issue that plagued my X30.

There's a local dealer who's quite helpful, but doesn't stock a 2018 and later model. The pre-2018 model he had was nice sounding but something about that guitar put me off the purchase right then. Also, it's branded Kevin Michael unlike the current ones, I didn't want it for vanity reasons (and I want Evo frets!).

I figure with the 2018 and later improvements, there's a good chance I'll be happy with the current Sables. I could order one off him, but would have to take whatever comes in (regardless of how it sounds), for a good price. I hear McPhersons are quite consistent so that should be a minimal risk. But before I do, I thought I'd check if there are any changes announced at NAMM that I should wait for, so they will filter down to production. Does anyone know? I could ask the dealer as well, but I should probably do some homework first.

Thanks!

Last edited by L3stat; 01-20-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-20-2020, 11:41 AM

The Kevin Michael is now the Touring... no changes to the Sable that I know of ...McPherson was not at NAMM this year
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-20-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I have the Touring and had played an early Kevin Michael. I really like the Touring, but would not have purchased the early Kevin Michael. There must have been a number of improvements on the way to becoming the Touring, because it seemed like a better guitar to me.

As for any changes for NAMM, I have no idea and have never been to NAMM. However, I can say that the current Touring and Sable are fine instruments as they are.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-20-2020, 03:35 PM

Larry retired from McPherson last year so assume they have not found a worthy replacement or have changed their marketing strategy. It was hinted they were changing their marketing strategy/order structure.

From my discussions with Larry before he retired, from Kevin Michael to McPherson branding of the carbon fiber guitars...there was some major changes underneath and upgrades to the quality, such as heat resistance. That was because McPherson made his own changes (when it became Mcpherson labeled) after the guy who originally designed it for the Kevin Michael name(same one who designed Cargo).

My discussions were mainly around the Touring so all of the above may not be as accurate from the Sable standpoint but do know they waited until they were happy with them before they put the Mcpherson name on them.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvguitars2005 View Post
t but do know they waited until they were happy with them before they put the Mcpherson name on them.
True that. Ellis Seal is said designer.

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Guest 928

If he's unsaid, is he still the designer?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
If he's unsaid, is he still the designer?
Unc, please don't go all deep on me..I've had an easy day
Old 01-20-2020, 10:23 PM

Thanks for all the inputs and insights! Yeah I remember reading here that 2018 had plenty of refinements made to the Sable, but not sure if that was the same time the branding switched (i.e. those improvements made it worthy of the McP name?). I played a Touring (but not sure what year) alongside the Sable, can't get used to the small size. Portability is not high on the list of criteria for me.

Sorry, I realize I wasn't clear. The "Kevin Michael" I tried in my post, is a full-sized Sable, not a Touring. It wasn't branded McP on the headstock, but "Kevin Michael".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber