The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I think the risk is that in the future a consumer could get the same quality of build and tone in a new Bourgeois/Eastman guitar (and have the Eastman lifetime warranty) but only have to spend used Bourgeois guitar money to do so. And they may even get the new guitar for less than what a used Bourgeois guitar goes for now.

So if I'm a consumer, why would I spend X amount for a used guitar when I can buy a new one in better condition for the same amount, if not less?

I have no doubt the new guitars will equal what Bourgeois puts out now.
I have plenty of doubts. I suppose time will tell.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I have plenty of doubts. I suppose time will tell.
Yeah I don't think Bourgeois or Eastman would make that claim, either.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budglo View Post
Honestly I have never made a purchase based on resale value. Guitars are a really poor investment anyways.
The 1962 Stratocaster I paid $400 for would probably say otherwise.

I'm shocked that Bourgeois is going to offshore manufacturing. In my eyes, it really does hurt the brand's image. If they did something like a Gibson/Epiphone thing that'd be okay, but keeping the Bourgeois name on it cheapens the brand and, as a result, would probably have an adverse effect on resale...
Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
The 1962 Stratocaster I paid $400 for would probably say otherwise.

I'm shocked that Bourgeois is going to offshore manufacturing. In my eyes, it really does hurt the brand's image. If they did something like a Gibson/Epiphone thing that'd be okay, but keeping the Bourgeois name on it cheapens the brand and, as a result, would probably have an adverse effect on resale...
To play devil's advocate, Martin puts "C F Martin & Co" on the headstocks of guitars down to the very bottom of the price/quality range and it hasn't cheapened the value or perceived quality of the Standard series guitars and above. Same thing with Taylor, as well.

For the most part, consumers who will be buying guitars above a certain price threshold are discerning. Consumers will be know the difference between an offshore Bourgeois and a made-in-USA-by-Dana's-people Bourgeois.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:19 PM

The $5000 Martin's seem to be doing ok.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Well, if there are any Vintage D owners out there who are suddenly ashamed of owning a Bourgeois because of their merger with Eastman, I'll be glad to take it off your hands for a good low price, because now they're worthless!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 11-13-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyongargon View Post
... Martin puts "C F Martin & Co" on the headstocks of guitars down to the very bottom of the price/quality range and it hasn't cheapened the value or perceived quality of the Standard series guitars and above. Same thing with Taylor, as well.
Fender also has guitars priced over a wide range including brand new guitars selling as low as $150.00, or so. Maybe these inexpensive guitars have hurt their image a bit?
Old 11-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Fender also has guitars priced over a wide range including brand new guitars selling as low as $150.00, or so. Maybe these inexpensive guitars have hurt their image a bit?
I'm biased and quite frankly pretty ignorant about electric guitars but really don't think that MIM Strats and Teles do anything but provide a low cost, high quality alternative to the more expensive offerings from Fender...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm biased and quite frankly pretty ignorant about electric guitars but really don't think that MIM Strats and Teles do anything but provide a low cost, high quality alternative to the more expensive offerings from Fender...
I was thinking mainly of acoustic guitars priced around $150.00 such as this one:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...onalizedViewCP
Old 11-13-2019, 05:41 PM

Bourgeois guitars are at the top of the pile. Therefore resale and value keep at the top as well. Don't worry. I paid a lot for my Bourgeois and would do it again in a second. In my opinion, after 40 years of gigging nearly full time, using dozens of high end guitars, the Bourgeois line tops them all. So buy with confidence and enjoy fully and keep it forever.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was thinking mainly of acoustic guitars priced around $150.00 such as this one:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...onalizedViewCP
Fender has had a longstanding hit-or-miss (largely miss IMO) relationship with producing acoustic guitars. I don't think their acoustics have ever really taken off nor do I think they've ever tarnished their brand. It's kind of like Andy Gibb and the Bee Gees. All Brothers Gibb but their musical careers have been separate...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-13-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I believe those are branded as Squier, though...
Old 11-13-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Fender has had a longstanding hit-or-miss (largely miss IMO) relationship with producing acoustic guitars. I don't think their acoustics have ever really taken off nor do I think they've ever tarnished their brand.
My understanding is that Brian Swerdfeger, former VP of Sales & Marketing at Taylor, was brought on at Fender to revitalize their acoustic line some time ago...
Old 11-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Bourgeois guitars are at the top of the pile. Therefore resale and value keep at the top as well. Don't worry. I paid a lot for my Bourgeois and would do it again in a second. In my opinion, after 40 years of gigging nearly full time, using dozens of high end guitars, the Bourgeois line tops them all. So buy with confidence and enjoy fully and keep it forever.
As a first-time Bourgeois owner who's owned just about everything out there, I'd have to agree with this assessment. The top of the heap. I'm just sorry it took me so long.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 11-14-2019, 07:57 AM

I played a Bourgeois for the first, and only time about 20 years ago. Not sure of the model, but it was a dread, and it remains one of the most lifeless and unimpressive guitars I've ever held.

Unfortunately, as they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion