The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=Wrighty;6390477]Hi all

So today I decided to add the G23 into the mix for your review - cedar top / rw b&s and made a three way video (inspired by Phil's Brook comparison)

so here it is - let me know your thoughts;

And for those interested here is the worked up version of the full version on the G23;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-25-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipII View Post
From a process-of-elimination statement, there is no worthwhile comparison. there are too many variables - two different tops, but two different B/Ss and two different strings.

I made a point of trying to forget what you said each one was, but I would have thought the second one was cedar and the first spruce, but that may be the influence of the B/S woods or the strings. Top my old ears, the first one felt clearer, then second one richer but almost to the point of muddy.

If you have to get rid of one, our opinions are irrelevant. Which ones feels exciting to play and invites you to step up your game? For me, if I were to have two Furch guitars (I have a cedar/RW Gc), I would want two different tops more than any other consideration since that is the bigger influencer on tone. .

Thanks for the input - I think your summary was what I was hearing too.

“Top my old ears, the first one felt clearer, then second one richer but almost to the point of muddy”

In terms of which feels exciting to play, the challenge is that they all do on different occasions...

Interestingly, the GC that I added today, I think is the balance of both.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I think the SR sounds richer to me, but I've always loved Rosewood more.

The CM sounds great, but also, was expecting it to be warmer.

As others have said, it seems the bass is a bit more muddied, although richer to my ear on the SR.

It seems to me that perhaps a Cocobolo B/S OM might be really special. I find that since Coco is 'glassier' it also gives all the sparkle of EIR, but cleans up the bass a bit.

Also, you should really try some 80/20 strings on your Rosewood. I find they work really well with my Coco/Alpine G Furch. (I really like the EXP's even more than traditional D'Addario actually).

So I followed your advice and put some Elixir 80/20’s on the OM24 yesterday - I was well pleased..

They seem to have tightened up the low mids / bass and added some of the clarity I was missing - so far they are a success so thanks!

Old 05-30-2020, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Edit...saw the above post about the 80/20s after I made my comment (also see your other thread
About the 80;20s

I would love to hear both with newer strings as well as the same brand/type. How old are the strings on the Rosewood/spruce guitar. Compared to the cedar top guitar it sounded a bit dull. It could be the strings. This assumes that all other things were equal, such as mic position, signal chain etc.......

Nice playing
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-30-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Edit...saw the above post about the 80/20s after I made my comment (also see your other thread
About the 80;20s

I would love to hear both with newer strings as well as the same brand/type. How old are the strings on the Rosewood/spruce guitar. Compared to the cedar top guitar it sounded a bit dull. It could be the strings. This assumes that all other things were equal, such as mic position, signal chain etc.......

Nice playing

Thanks for the input.

The OM 24 in the original video was on pretty new strings as I tend to change fairly frequently at the moment. Maybe a week old compared to the day old on the OM22 (cedar) The OM22 strings were also DR Sunbeam which I tend to find softer and warmer in general.

It did sound a bit dull - that was my issue, and I think that dullness was from the muddy bass.

I’ll try to post a sound clip later on the new strings - although it was recorded inside vs outside as the originals were so won’t be a true comparison.

What strings do you put on your spruce/RW Stonebridge?

Old 05-30-2020, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Thanks for the input.

The OM 24 in the original video was on pretty new strings as I tend to change fairly frequently at the moment. Maybe a week old compared to the day old on the OM22 (cedar) The OM22 strings were also DR Sunbeam which I tend to find softer and warmer in general.

It did sound a bit dull - that was my issue, and I think that dullness was from the muddy bass.

I’ll try to post a sound clip later on the new strings - although it was recorded inside vs outside as the originals were so won’t be a true comparison.

What strings do you put on your spruce/RW Stonebridge?

On the OM Stonebridge i did try the Elixir 80/20s but found them to be a touch to shrill. For this guitar the PBs give it the warmth that I look for.

As I mentioned in your other thread, nice playing. In the vids recorded outside, I find the birds singing in the back round to fit the song
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-30-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
On the OM Stonebridge i did try the Elixir 80/20s but found them to be a touch to shrill. For this guitar the PBs give it the warmth that I look for.

As I mentioned in your other thread, nice playing. In the vids recorded outside, I find the birds singing in the back round to fit the song
Thanks - much appreciated.

Here's the two sets of strings on the same guitar (as I mentioned not same location..)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion