The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 05:58 PM

Default PRS P20e Parlor Mini-Review.........

OK, I think in a way it's too earlier for me to review this but I also feel I'm doing a review based on my ears that are accustomed to a Dread... and not letting my ears adjust to the PRS

First off, I'm a Dread guy...Even a Jumbo guy, I like a big sound so I can immerse myself into the music....
But I want a smaller guitar...or maybe thinner because a Dread or Jumbo is awkward standing up...Yes it can get's done daily but I'm looking for a smaller guitar with a big voice... Not necessarily a big bass but that is fine also if it has it..

Ok...Onward and trust me I'll add on through the weekend as I play it more

As the saying goes...Small box..what do you expect?

It's not a loud guitar as PRS would like you to believe ...
It does have a Nice tone.... Not too boxy, I could live with the little it has but it's not a full voice guitar...It's a Parlor, No magic here
Fit and finish is great... It does need a setup, It's not bad but the strings are a bit higher than I like.
I haven't plugged it in yet, I will this weekend
Also the strings feel...loose, Maybe its the shorter scale??

It has shown me some limitations of my Ibanez AW54OPCE... It's a bit harsh compared to the PRS mmmmm

Neck feels wide and nice

This guitar is a really nice guitar for people who what a Parlor or fingerpicking guitar... Heavy strumming isn't it's thing..... It's Ok.. but those strings feel like spaghetti lol...

I'm going to have fun with it this weekend and see if things change...because I really want a smaller guitar and to like this one...

Later..............
Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Well so far you're making me feel glad that ProAudioStar messed up my "order" and I put in for a PayPal refund....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-28-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Well so far you're making me feel glad that ProAudioStar messed up my "order" and I put in for a PayPal refund....
Sorry, I'm not really bad mouthing the guitar, it's more about the right tool for the right person lol, for a person who plays Parlors I imagine this would be a killer guitar. For a Dread guy that likes a full loud tonal range this wouldn't make you happy., it could be fun but at the end of the day you would like to pick up your dread and immerse yourself
Old 05-29-2020, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the follow-up review. Let's see what you think in 2 weeks after a string change.

I just checked the PRS site. The P20 has 12s (lights) on them and a 24.72" scale length. Perhaps that's the slinky feeling you're getting?
Old 05-29-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I've yet to find a small parlorish size guitar that sounds good to my ears strumming-unless its very light brushing type strumming. I think they have a niche spot for crosspicking and fingerstyle styles. I've owned some Collings 0 and Martin 0 sizes and someone strumming those just sounded...eeek!

I have one of the PRS parlors in the house right now and its just about the size of a GS mini other than the longer scale length. It does look and feel more lux than a Mini, but both are similar type instruments imo. I do hear a more full note quality, especially going up the neck on the PRS, and that I think is a direct link to the longer scale, and the fact that its a solid mahogany top-that definitely sweetens things up.

for me its a neat travel type instrument that doesn't take up much space, very light weight to pack, cool looking vibe, perfect couch guitar, and at its pricepoint really hard to beat. I've yet to plug in, that will happen this weekend maybe, interested to see how that pickup sounds.

coming from a healthy dose of dreads and larger body styles, I would think you might be a lot happier with an OM or maybe the right 00(the Martin 00-18's are killer small body guitars, but do cost about 4x what this parlor does).

d
Old 05-29-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
I've yet to find a small parlorish size guitar that sounds good to my ears strumming-unless its very light brushing type strumming. I think they have a niche spot for crosspicking and fingerstyle styles. I've owned some Collings 0 and Martin 0 sizes and someone strumming those just sounded...eeek!

I have one of the PRS parlors in the house right now and its just about the size of a GS mini other than the longer scale length. It does look and feel more lux than a Mini, but both are similar type instruments imo. I do hear a more full note quality, especially going up the neck on the PRS, and that I think is a direct link to the longer scale, and the fact that its a solid mahogany top-that definitely sweetens things up.

for me its a neat travel type instrument that doesn't take up much space, very light weight to pack, cool looking vibe, perfect couch guitar, and at its pricepoint really hard to beat. I've yet to plug in, that will happen this weekend maybe, interested to see how that pickup sounds.

coming from a healthy dose of dreads and larger body styles, I would think you might be a lot happier with an OM or maybe the right 00(the Martin 00-18's are killer small body guitars, but do cost about 4x what this parlor does).

d
You need to play a broken in Cedar topped Seagull Grand. My wife's is easily a match for many 00's and can take a very heavy R hand, despite having a Cedar top.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-29-2020, 04:33 PM

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Thanks for the follow-up review. Let's see what you think in 2 weeks after a string change.

I just checked the PRS site. The P20 has 12s (lights) on them and a 24.72" scale length. Perhaps that's the slinky feeling you're getting?
+1......
Old 05-29-2020, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Sorry, I'm not really bad mouthing the guitar, it's more about the right tool for the right person lol, for a person who plays Parlors I imagine this would be a killer guitar. For a Dread guy that likes a full loud tonal range this wouldn't make you happy., it could be fun but at the end of the day you would like to pick up your dread and immerse yourself
Well the rest of the story is that ProAudioStar did in fact take my order, but the guy I spoke to on Wednesday didn't know what he was talking about. Long story short, I went to Richmond this morning and like Daryl, found a new PRS Parlor on my door step when I got home. I actually found lots to like about and have to think long and hard about keeping it or sending it back. So far keeping it is winning.

I'm also a big guitar fan but accept that a parlor is not going to be a great strummer or offer a booming voice. I'll be the first to say that I love the gig bag. Aside from the absence of neck support, PRS's gig bags are terrific, and this one's no exception. It fits nicely in the boot of my Mazda MX5, a primary reason for the purchase, reasonably priced at $449 delivered to my front door and is a fun finger style guitar. I could see learning to play slide on this baby guitar. It sounds amazing in this video.

With its charcoal top and hog back & sides and herringbone binding, it's quite attractive. I have a feeling that the white pick guard isn't going to stay. It's kind of garish looking to my eye. It's got the sound I'd expect from a small guitar which is not a bad thing. That and the relatively narrow 1 11/16" neck are things I'll become more used to as I play it. Mine looks like the one shown below...

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-29-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

RP
I'm probably going to cut a new nut for the one at my house this weekend , to see how I like it. there is a solid 1/8" inset on both E strings, and the fret ends are finished with a steep angle (which I like).

feel pretty safe to say I can spread the low E outward 1/16" and the high e 1/16"( or for sure 1/32"). that will give an additional 1/8" or 3/32" to widen the string set. the fret ends being cut with a steep angle shouldn't let the high e fall off especially with hammers and pulls.

I think it will work splendid.

keep you posted, will take a before and after pic and post

d
Old 05-29-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
RP
I'm probably going to cut a new nut for the one at my house this weekend , to see how I like it. there is a solid 1/8" inset on both E strings, and the fret ends are finished with a steep angle (which I like).

feel pretty safe to say I can spread the low E outward 1/16" and the high e 1/16"( or for sure 1/32"). that will give an additional 1/8" or 3/32" to widen the string set. the fret ends being cut with a steep angle shouldn't let the high e fall off especially with hammers and pulls.

I think it will work splendid.

keep you posted, will take a before and after pic and post

d
Uh oh. Sounds like a road trip to SW Virginia might be in the offing....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-29-2020, 06:27 PM

I agree this would be a great travel/couch guitar... But I'm asking too much of it, It's me not the guitar ..

I'll check out that Seagull Grand....
Old 05-29-2020, 06:31 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thanks for the videos. I think it's a good looking guitar and sounds good in the demo. I want to try one.

JR
Old 05-29-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Uh oh. Sounds like a road trip to SW Virginia might be in the offing....
i'll let you know what I think, I can cut you one and drop it in the mail if it works as well as I think it will, PRS build specs are taloresque so it would be a 5 min change for you, just gently tap yours from side and on back(fretboard side) and the nut will come out, sit the new one on with no glue and try it out.

will send you the outcome
d
Old 05-30-2020, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
i'll let you know what I think, I can cut you one and drop it in the mail if it works as well as I think it will, PRS build specs are taloresque so it would be a 5 min change for you, just gently tap yours from side and on back(fretboard side) and the nut will come out, sit the new one on with no glue and try it out.

will send you the outcome
d
That would be great. Many thanks...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-30-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
That would be great. Many thanks...
Considering it's a Parlor with that Parlor sound, it's growing on me Lol and plugging it in. You would never know it's a small guitar....Perfect!! More later

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion