The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-27-2019, 06:34 PM

I'm on Facebook and enjoy it. Of course, I judiciously use the unfriend and unfollow features so I don't see all the crap that everyone hates about Facebook. I do think it's interesting the number of posters on the AGF that state they don't use social media, though. The AGF is social media, after all.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I use FB frequently, as it keeps me connected with family and friends all over the world. Sure, it can be a dumpster fire, if you allow it, so it's a matter of controlling the content. You can choose whom/what to "see first," and you can ignore certain pages and people entirely. Anyway, for me, the good outweighs the bad, although in the last three years, the bad has tried to close the gap.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:07 AM

I use Facebook to keep up with far flung family, old military friends, racing colleagues, and other friends from back in the day. Not that many, and I know how to keep stuff I don't like away from my page. The block and unfriend buttons work pretty well.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:45 AM

Fascinating...

A thread about being Facebook clean and sober brings out lots of support with those of us who've NEVER used the platform, and others who have used it, seen it's problems, and quit it for good as well.

But then, JUST LIKE alcoholics, you will see others chime in about how they just use it from time to time. Socially. It's not a problem for them because THEY can handle it....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-31-2019, 06:42 AM

I recently deactivated my Facebook account, and it feels great. I don’t miss it.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:12 AM

I like Facebook even though I don't post much at all. It keeps me somewhat in touch with family around the country, plus I love reading all the funny stuff that people find on the internet and share. Lately though, all the political posts are beginning to wear on me. I also think that Facebook's time may be drawing to a close. Seems like younger folks are moving on to other platforms for their social sharing.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 12-31-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
But then, JUST LIKE alcoholics, you will see others chime in about how they just use it from time to time. Socially. It's not a problem for them because THEY can handle it....
Why "just like alcoholics"? Some people can actually have an occasional drink without becoming an alcoholic. And some people can actually use Facebook without it becoming an addiction or destructive. I'm on it but use it VERY sparingly. I was never all that into it, but I AM in loose FB contact with a number of people from my life who I either HAD lost contact with or probably would, and I'd prefer not to. I've de-activated once, because I do object to their business model and think they're doing a lot of harm on a macro basis, but then my wife would show me something and I realize I'd like to see that kind of stuff. So I'm on it. I'd say I actually go to the site once a week, sometimes a bit more, usually less.

For me, it IS a lot like alcohol - I'm a very VERY light drinker as well. Someone for whom drinking has never been a problem. We exist - lots of people can have an occasional drink and not have an alcohol problem. I can use Facebook (and Twitter for that matter) in a way that works for me and keeps me away from the worst of it. Alcohol isn't a problem for me, FB isn't a problem for me - neither ever has been. I used to use it more than I do now and ran into some of the toxicity that's prevalent on the site now. But I learned there were just some people I need to unfollow and just go check on them once in a great while, instead of having all of their garbage come across any time I log in.

Yeah, I know people who are addicted to Facebook and other social media, and I don't get the appeal, or CONSTANT appeal. I have my issues - I spend too much on guitars (and other hobbies at other times). But Facebook isn't one of them. Believe it or not...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 01-07-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Fascinating...

A thread about being Facebook clean and sober brings out lots of support with those of us who've NEVER used the platform, and others who have used it, seen it's problems, and quit it for good as well.

Having had three alcoholics in my immediate family over my life, two of whom are still alive, I take a bit of exception to your comments. Especially since, as you say, you've "NEVER used the platform..."

Where does YOUR experience come from? Besides the internet, I mean.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I've never joined it.
Nor did I. Something about loosing one's personal business to the ether made/makes no sense to me.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:12 PM

I got an account a year ago. Since I knew next to nothing about it,I wasn't sure about protocol and all of that. As soon as my former co-workers found me they bombarded me with friend requests. In no time my feed was jammed with stuff I could care less about.

I wanted to block everyone but figured that was not the cool thing to do,so my daughter showed me how to unfollow them. So out of way over a hundred "friends" I now only see what ten of them post. All of which leaves me asking WTH am I even doing on FB?
Old 01-07-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Dropped off of Facebook on my birthday 9 months ago and...........zero withdrawal symptoms.

Yesterday I picked up my wife’s phone and there it was.....ugh.......so many “Look at me!” pics and selfie’s. Smiled to myself and thought.....gee, I don’t have the time to like all these! It’s like a full time job. Staying out.
Good for you!

If I didn't actively play music, I'd get rid of it myself. I use it to network a lot. Got a gig just yesterday via FB Messenger. However, if I ever stop playing music completely, I'll ditch it. I've already "hidden" a ton of people from my news feed for various reasons.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:30 AM

I've never been able to get into it. I don't have enough time to worry about 100 other peoples latest cup of coffee or great bowel movement.

The trouble is that no-one seems to communicate outside of facebook anymore so I'll get in touch with someone I've not seen for a while and find out that since I saw them they've got married, changed job 3 times and moved town.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
I wanted to block everyone but figured that was not the cool thing to do,so my daughter showed me how to unfollow them. So out of way over a hundred "friends" I now only see what ten of them post. All of which leaves me asking WTH am I even doing on FB?
You're staying in fairly close touch with those people you chose not to unfollow. And of the others, you're not seeing their stuff every day, but if you ever choose to "stop by and see how they're doing", you still have access to their page and you can look in on them every now and then. Like an old relative or a friend you don't really want to hang out with regularly but don't want to lose touch with.

That's how I do it and it works for me. I only have about 40-50 "friends" to begin with - a lot of friend requests I just never answered. But everyone I'm friends with I like to be able to check in with once in a while and a few of them I like to keep up with more regularly. Sort of like people elsewhere in life. Sounds like you're using it the same way - it's not a bad way to do it...

-Ray
Old 01-07-2020, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Much like Facebook users, we alcoholics are a rather diverse group. Stereotypes don't apply to all of the members of either group.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Having had three alcoholics in my immediate family over my life, two of whom are still alive, I take a bit of exception to your comments. Especially since, as you say, you've "NEVER used the platform..."

Where does YOUR experience come from? Besides the internet, I mean.
You've missed the whole point. I've had MUCH alcoholism in my family and friends. Have lost many.

The POINT was any thread that speaks of this addiction OR alcohol addiction (or any other addiction) always has people who chime in saying THEY can handle it, they just do it SOCIALLY, rather than being supportive to the OP and it just seems inappropriate to me.

Didn't mean to ruffle.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic