The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-17-2019, 12:11 PM

Post New amp day

I wish I could tell to I just got a new Princeton or a deluxe reverb because that's what I want But it's not in the cards for awhile. What I did get was a Fender Mustang 'll v2 . So far I like it and the presets sound pretty darn close t I the amps they represent. The effects are really good also. I have been playing my Tele clone and Strat clone thru my Loud box and I gotta say there's a bunch more things I can do. It's not a Princeton but for now I'm pretty happy ☺
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2

Last edited by steve223; 08-27-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:28 PM

I have the same amp and my most used preset is a simple '65 Princeton with spring reverb. Works well with HBs and single coil. I also like the Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb amp models, but the Princeton just sounds the most like the original version, to me. Learning how to use the Fuse software is worthwhile, though not that intuitive.

If you want "Mid" to go with your Treble and Bass eq settings on any amp, and you're not connected to the computer/Fuse, simply hold down the Exit button on the amp while you work the Treble knob. Can't do that on a real Princeton.

My Mustang II v.2 sounded fuller, with more bass and clarity, after I replaced the original speaker with a Celestion G12-75 (used). This speaker is similar to the one used in the Mustang III (also a Celestion), and is notable for its neutral character that lets the modeling stay accurate, rather than be colored by a speaker's character.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the tips.. I haven't played with the software yet but I plan to... The Princeton and the deluxe are my favorites also... Like you said they are really close to the real thing... I am going to look for the creation g12-75.....I was wondering this morning about upgrading it. I appreciate your help ChrisN !!
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
Old 08-17-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve223 View Post
Thanks for the tips.. I haven't played with the software yet but I plan to... The Princeton and the deluxe are my favorites also... Like you said they are really close to the real thing... I am going to look for the creation g12-75.....I was wondering this morning about upgrading it. I appreciate your help ChrisN !!

Celestion G12-75 is the one to try. Look for "used," esp as these came in cabs and aren't off-the-shelf findable new. The stock speaker isn't bad at all, but the Celestion is noticeably better, to me.

The amp is loaded with 24 preset amp/effect combinations, almost all of which are unusable. They're there to highlight the amp's capacities in those areas, not sound good.

The 24 presets come in 3 banks of 8. The first is Amber, second is Green, third is Red. On the amp, you can change ONLY the Green and Red banks. You're stuck with the Amber bank unless you use the software to save over the Amber bank.

Here's a good place to start: https://fender-mustang-amps-and-fuse..._and_Fuse_Wiki
Old 08-17-2019, 10:32 PM

Cool....I really appreciate your help and tips!! And that website is going to be a big help!
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
Old 08-18-2019, 08:32 AM

Also, if you're using Fuse on a Mac, you can't run it without Silverlight, so if you run into issues on that: https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/...-Steps-for-Mac
Old 08-18-2019, 09:32 PM

Yep, I too own a Fender Mustang amp. (Alternate between the three Fender simulated amp sounds with reverb and delay when I want).

I'm a fan!
Old 08-19-2019, 09:48 AM

I grew up as an electric player playing a "real" blackface Princeton.

I spent a lot of time with a Mustang III v2 set on just the Princeton patch. I did have some other settings I used from time to time, but 90% it was just the Princeton. I set it as the default patch, and there is was every time I turned it on.

That other 10% of the time with the other patches was "just gravy".

Modeling amps are neat to experiment with different sounds, and I don't mind having those options. I'm not bothered by their optional presence, and they add no complexity when I don't use them. None. If someone enclosed it in a "black box" and said "Here's a $300 amp that sounds like a Princeton with a speaker emulated direct out and the ability to get certain Princeton sounds at your choice of volume levels" I probably buy it again.

Someday I might stretch my budget and get one of the Princeton Reverb reissues. I'd miss the direct out a little and there'd be times when I have to accept a desired amp volume vs timbre compromise in my informal use.

There may well be other tube amps that offer the same pleasures, and maybe a bit more tube amp playing feel, but the Mustang III satisfied me as a "Princeton" and was dead easy and convenient to use.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 AM

welcome to the world of Amp modeling!

I love my Mustang III (V1)... not much I can't do with it.

I also have a Marshall CODE 50. Comparative wise, I still like the Fender sounds better. but there are a few models on the CODE that are killer. The CODE also allows you to change settings on the fly via Bluetooh on an Android.. that is a hoot!!
Old 08-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I grew up as an electric player playing a "real" blackface Princeton.

I spent a lot of time with a Mustang III v2 set on just the Princeton patch. I did have some other settings I used from time to time, but 90% it was just the Princeton. I set it as the default patch, and there is was every time I turned it on.

That other 10% of the time with the other patches was "just gravy".

Modeling amps are neat to experiment with different sounds, and I don't mind having those options. I'm not bothered by their optional presence, and they add no complexity when I don't use them. None. If someone enclosed it in a "black box" and said "Here's a $300 amp that sounds like a Princeton with a speaker emulated direct out and the ability to get certain Princeton sounds at your choice of volume levels" I probably buy it again.

Someday I might stretch my budget and get one of the Princeton Reverb reissues. I'd miss the direct out a little and there'd be times when I have to accept a desired amp volume vs timbre compromise in my informal use.

There may well be other tube amps that offer the same pleasures, and maybe a bit more tube amp playing feel, but the Mustang III satisfied me as a "Princeton" and was dead easy and convenient to use.
Great post to which I'd add: it sounds pretty good, very close to the real deal (you already covered low cost, as well), plus you can play quietly through headphones and you can Aux in your backing track of choice.

Oh, and having the Master volume lets you "drive" the amp while keeping things manageable on the decibel front. No tube amp maintenance or cost for tubes, too. Instant-on w/no warmup. I have a couple of low-end tube amps and they sound good (enough), but they're not as feature-laden.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the comments every one i appreciate it! I had a little time today to play with the fuse software... Pretty cool! It's all most endless what you can do and the tone options!
Thanks again for your thoughts and tips it is very much appreciated.
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
Old 08-24-2019, 10:35 AM

Good pick for your first amp, and it may be all you'll ever need. I own the tube versions of your favorites (Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb) and they are indeed fabulous sounding amps. They are tubes tho with no line out, heavier, and 2x the price. Where tubes amps shine is when you can open them up and let them breathe a little, which is louder than you'd want to play with anyone else home (or at all if you live in an apartment). They also provide juicy, complex tones when overdriven (solid state amps don't have preamp tubes to overdrive) If you're mostly a clean player and/or want to record, then your present amp is great. Enjoy the new world of electrics!
Old 08-25-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Good pick for your first amp, and it may be all you'll ever need. I own the tube versions of your favorites (Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb) and they are indeed fabulous sounding amps. They are tubes tho with no line out, heavier, and 2x the price. Where tubes amps shine is when you can open them up and let them breathe a little, which is louder than you'd want to play with anyone else home (or at all if you live in an apartment). They also provide juicy, complex tones when overdriven (solid state amps don't have preamp tubes to overdrive) If you're mostly a clean player and/or want to record, then your present amp is great. Enjoy the new world of electrics!
If you get a tube soaker, you can open a amp up and then use it to turn down the volume so you get the soaked sound at a normal listening level.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-27-2019, 12:23 PM

Thank you Royboy and Ron144!
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a Boss Katana 100 head earlier this year and use it to drive a Celestion Gold speaker in my Marshall 1x12 tube combo that I've had since the 90s. I can run the Marshall amp into as well. And it even sounds reasonable at low volumes through the built in 4" speaker plus it has way more features.

The Marshall tone is great in a number of ways when you play it loud enough not so much when you play it at levels that are suitable in my house.

The Katana has a massive variety of tones and flexibility and took me a while to get it setup but I feel like I can get tones that are on par or better with the Marshall amp but at large volume ranges. (Although the Katana does have more noise added to the signal on most of the overdrive setup)

However, it took me a fair bit of tweaking with the attached computer software to get there. Out of the box it wasn't matching the Marshall.

The Marshall on the other hand is relatively easy to get good tone out of. I compared the Katana to the Fender champ x2 driving the same speaker, but I didn't have the chance to try a Mustang. I ultimately preferred the Katana over the Champ, but the Champ was also much easier to get a good setup out of the box

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars