The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 08:05 AM

Default Consignment rip-off or legit practice?

I think one of the local shops ripped me off, but before I decide what I'm going to do going forward I want to know what you guys think.

I put a Les Paul, numbered limited edition in a shop for consignment sale. We agreed that the commission for the consignment would be 25%. I thought it was high, but agreed. There is a lot more to this story. The short version is that it sold 3 months ago for $2000 and they never called me and only when I went in to pick up the guitar was I told it was sold.

But the part that got me riled was, with tax the guitar cost $2200 as there is 10% tax. He said he takes commission on everything INCLUDING THE TAX! Then he deducts the tax after he took his commission on everything including commission on the tax.

The difference didn't come out to be a lot of money, but it's the principle. The tax was paid by the customer through him. It wasn't paid TO him, yet he felt free to take 25% of that extra $200.

Am I right to feel cheated?

PM me if you want to know the name of the store.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post

Am I right to feel cheated?
Yes! Taking a commission on the tax seems absurd. It's not like you received the other 75% of the tax collected....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 AM

I agree it seems like you got shorted $50.00. Was there any signed agreement on specifically how the commission would be calculated? I've never seen it calculated on gross price including sales tax, but it's all in the agreement. The owner may need to know it could be the last time you use him.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 AM

ripoff here.

Last edited by sportycliff; 08-23-2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Political comments removed.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 AM

I'd feel cheated, yes, and especially since they didn't tell you the guitar sold.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:27 AM

I believe 25% is standard for consignment but paying an additional 25% on the sales tax is definitely a ripoff.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

In all of the consignments that I have done, I have not run across that practice. I have had to follow up with shops who, due to their own cash flow, do not always contact me in a timely manner to let me know that an instrument sold. I tend to monitor the situation myself and stay in touch with them.

The tax thing sounds weird to me. That should have been spelled out clearly in the beginning if that is their practice. 25% including tax is a high consignment fee.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-22-2019, 08:28 AM

The fact that he took commission on the tax AND id not call you to tell you the item sold tells me this is someone you don’t want to do business with again.

Did you have a contract that spelled out anything?
Old 08-22-2019, 08:38 AM

That stings. NOt sure what the fine print says. I get it's the principle, and it is. There squeezing every penny from you. To me, you should present your case to the owner. Maybe you weren't informed of what you feel you should of been upfront. You don't have anything to lose at this point and at least you'll get the satisfaction of telling your side. Also that there losing a solid customer and anyone else that you speak to.
Really, what's wrong with people?
Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Yes. That is not fair.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:41 AM

I'm going to have to chime in with my "Yes" vote. You do have the right to feel cheated. The fact that it sold and they didn't notify you really chaps my hyde. PM'ed.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
The short version is that it sold 3 months ago for $2000...

But the part that got me riled was, with tax the guitar cost $2200 as there is 10% tax. He said he takes commission on everything INCLUDING THE TAX! Then he deducts the tax after he took his commission on everything including commission on the tax.

The difference didn't come out to be a lot of money, but it's the principle. The tax was paid by the customer through him. It wasn't paid TO him, yet he felt free to take 25% of that extra $200.
If he is charging commission on tax, then he should be reporting that income as well. That smells like tax fraud.

The 10% does not go into his pocket at all. It is paid by the buyer, and should be passed along in its entirety.

I would discuss the matter with the shop, and offer to refer them to the tax commissioner if they need to better understand the math of doing business.

George
Old 08-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
If he is charging commission on tax, then he should be reporting that income as well. That smells like tax fraud.

The 10% does not go into his pocket at all. It is paid by the buyer, and should be passed along in its entirety.

I would discuss the matter with the shop, and offer to refer them to the tax commissioner if they need to better understand the math of doing business.
Agreed they sold the guitar, not the tax.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I've sold two guitars and an amp through a local store. The selling price was specified in a written contract, along with the commission, and what I would net. Sales tax was not included in the calculation.

At minimum I'd leave an FYI Yelp review to warn others of their commission strategy, as well as how three months after the sale you still hadn't been notified. If they have a Google business listing, leave one there, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post

Excellent points, George. I agree.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion