The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 AM

Default Studio Monitor Suggestions??

I'm downsizing and plan to sell a bunch of my electric guitar amps and pedals. I'm going digital and buying an Eleven Rack that I plan to run through studio monitors. Since I'll be using the Eleven Rack for home playing, I want powered monitors that really have a full rich sound. I'd like to keep the monitors as small as possible and still have great sound. I'm guessing the biggest problem with small monitors would be the bass response. I know it's possible to use a sub woofer with some studio monitors, but It seems I've read that a Sub Woofer is not that great for electric guitar.

What do you recommend?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you work with an integrated system, there is nothing at all wrong with subwoofed monitors.

If you have the dough, the JBL LSR4328P powered, intelligent monitors are a great, smooth-sounding system when coupled with the JBL LSR4312SP powered subwoofer. They network together and automatically align themselves to your room, by the way. Here at the studio we've got them in three control rooms as the primary surround system.

You can find them at Sweetwater.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Near-Fields - Adam A7X's

Aloha,

There are surprisingly few neutral-sounding monitors in the under $1500 range. In this case, unlike w/ other gear, the choices really do get less impressive & much less accurate sounding as the price-tag gets lower.

About four years ago, I went to the Mainland for a "monitor week," hitting many studio's & pro audio shops, & tried em all - with my own ears - up to about $3300.

I went with a pair of Adam A7X's for my near-fields. I'm still very satisfied with their performance, & the honest sound they reveal.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ADPA7X

The A7X's work VERY well for my small, acoustic-only, real-time-only, live miking projects. I don't need a subwoofer either with them for my applications. Accurate. Detailed. Great sound-staging & depth. Crystal clear. You can easily add a sub to the A7X.

My guitars & voice sound as good as they can through the A7X.

Another really good monitor to investigate is the Neumann KH-120 which came out a couple years ago. People love that affordable monitor.

Also check out Dynaudio BM5A or 6's, Event TR6's, Focal CMS 65's, Acoustic Energy AE22's, Quested S6R's & better JBL's as Bob mentioned above.

To be honest, my ears rejected all of the Yamaha, KRK, JBL & Mackie under-$1000/prs. Your experience may differ. It's a big candy store, Denny. Go have a Listen & Enjoy!

In addition, I use my custom Koa Daedalus 803 three-ways (my live speakers) as mid-range speakers. And also my Alpine Car stereo speakers as small speakers to listen for balance in compressed formats or low-volumes.

Go have a listen to many types of monitors, Denny. Even more expensive ones. It'll educate your ears greatly. Allow your ears make the final call. Or narrow it down to 2-3 pairs & "buy" them (depending on the return policy - most work fine). Try out at home on your rig, & then return the one's that lose your shoot-out.

Listen to monitors at pro stores or rent some studio time or rent the monitors. The best place to really have a listen is on your home rig.

Good Luck Denny.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 10-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 PM

I really liked the Dynaudios too but also ended up with the A7s. No regrets at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD