The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 AM

... he just can`t stop playing his new guitar...
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENSTAYLOR View Post
Great replies on Taylors' ns24ce ,and Taylor ns series are great on sound and playablity,,,,Hum, just wondering about brianlw.
Playability... is the reason I bought the guitar! I've been away from guitar for a while. I had a Gibson SG Junior since 5th grade, which was 48 years ago, but sold that 8 years ago, when cash flow was poor. That was replaced by an Alvarez all laminate classical, which actually had a nice sound for an inexpensive guitar, but I couldn't adapt to the wide, flat neck. I sold that last summer. I took the Taylor factory tour a couple weeks ago, then tried various guitars in their showroom. Chords I used to play on the SG, but couldn't really do on the Alvarez, were easier on the steel strings I tried in the showroom. Then I went to the service center next door. When I tried the NS24ce, the same chords were much easier, and the tone was very nice, limited I'm sure by my rusty technique.

This is the perfect guitar for me to relearn on, and exercise fingers that are starting to feel stiff when I wake up in the morning.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlw View Post
Playability... is the reason I bought the guitar! I've been away from guitar for a while. I had a Gibson SG Junior since 5th grade, which was 48 years ago, but sold that 8 years ago, when cash flow was poor. That was replaced by an Alvarez all laminate classical, which actually had a nice sound for an inexpensive guitar, but I couldn't adapt to the wide, flat neck. I sold that last summer. I took the Taylor factory tour a couple weeks ago, then tried various guitars in their showroom. Chords I used to play on the SG, but couldn't really do on the Alvarez, were easier on the steel strings I tried in the showroom. Then I went to the service center next door. When I tried the NS24ce, the same chords were much easier, and the tone was very nice, limited I'm sure by my rusty technique.

This is the perfect guitar for me to relearn on, and exercise fingers that are starting to feel stiff when I wake up in the morning.

I just switch back from playing a (very) nice crossover to a cheap-o steel string (with mediums), and it's putting some hurt on my fingers! Boy do I miss the crossover now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM

I tried the NS24, the NS74, and the Jason Mraz. I also tried the Yamaha crossovers the old ones and the new NTX series. The Yamaha's sound MUCH better, but the string spacing is too close. The Taylor had the better playability.

The NS74 sounds better to me than the NS24. After playing the NS74 I no longer wanted the NS24, though I suppose if I never compared the NS24 to the NS74 or the Yamaha I would think it was fine. Jason's signature guitar was more comfortable because it was a GC body and it sounded good to me. I just can't get over the zodiac goofiness on the guitar. I mean really... the zodiac?

UPDATE: Recently compared NS24ce, NS34ce, NS72ce, Jason Mraz NS. The NSx4 all seem to have an undefined bass. The NSx2/Mraz series provided definition for all strings, much better sustain and was a joy to play with the 12 frets above the body and short scale. I also think the combination of the cedar/rosewood is perfect for nylon strings. I ended up buying the NS72ce.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 08-20-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM

When I decided to buy a crossover, first guitars I tried was a Yamaha NTX 700 and a Ortega (forgot which model it was). I compared them both at the same time and never had a Taylor in my hands at this time.
The Yamaha neck felt sticky and my fingers didn`t slide well over the fretboard, the sound was flat without sustain and character. In this comparison I liked the Ortega more but didn`t convince me enough to buy.
A few weeks later I found the Taylor 24ce in a shop and wow - this on I would have bought right up the way, if I would have had the money at this time.
After all luckily - because a few weeks later I was able to buy the NS72 at a very special price.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 PM

Tried a Jason Mraz model today...

Very cool, but $3,000 price tag, yikes.

Also tried a NS32, noticed that the X2 model feels too small for me. Wasn't able to try an X4 model (guess they are not that popular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical