The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Default I'm returning a Cervantes Crossover I IR Spruce

After 3 days of vigorous deliberation with myself, I decided to return it to exchange for a Crossover II. I can live with the 1-7/8" nut but not the 2-3/16" string spacing.

Don't misunderstood that I don't like it. In fact I like a lot. But I get used to a wider string spacing at 2-5/16" (all my steel string guitars are of this size except the Larrivee OO couch guitar).

I just wish that the ll would be every bit as nice as the I with a better playability that suits me

Will post again when it arrives
Martin D-18GE Sunburst
Martin OOO-28VS
Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Sounds like a wise decision. No need to compromise. I am sure you will find it to be just as pleasing to your ears and eyes, and even more so to your hands. Keep us posted.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Yeah, spacing needs to be more for nylon strings if anything. Having them closer together than on your steel string would drive me crazy. They must think people are going to be strumming the darned thing.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Wise decision. As we discussed a few days ago, if the spacing is bothering you now, it is likely to bother you more as time goes on. It is better to exchange this guitar for one with the string spacing you want while you still have "new" inspection-period return rights.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Can you please clarify what is meant by the "2-3/16th" spacing? Does that refer to the width of the strings at the 12th fret, or something like that?

So does this mean that the Cervantes Crossover I has a tighter string spacing than typical steel-string guitars? Have any of the other Cervantes owners noticed a problem with this? I ask because I am strongly considering getting a Cervantes.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbl View Post
Can you please clarify what is meant by the "2-3/16th" spacing? Does that refer to the width of the strings at the 12th fret, or something like that?

So does this mean that the Cervantes Crossover I has a tighter string spacing than typical steel-string guitars? Have any of the other Cervantes owners noticed a problem with this? I ask because I am strongly considering getting a Cervantes.

Thanks.
My string spacing measurements are at saddle or bridge not at 12th fret although I don’t know if there is a material difference.

A steel strings guitar usually has spacing ranging from 2-1/8” to 2-5/16”, with the most common is 2-3/16”, e.g. Taylor and Larrivee. Martin’s are all over the map depending on specific model.

I have two Martin’s that are both 2-5/16” (so is my soon to arrive Bourgeois), which I find excellent for fingerstyle. A narrower spacing is good for flatpicking but a little bit limiting for fingerstyle, unless you have good technique. Anyhow, it finally boils down to personal preference and ability to adapt. No black and white rule here. Some people play 2-3/16” nylon strings with ease. See post by maplebaby

Bear in mind that the nylon treble strings are thicker than that of steel strings. So a same spacing size may mean differently for the two types of strings.

Cervantes Crossover is a sure-win, doesn't matter Crossover I or II
Martin D-18GE Sunburst
Martin OOO-28VS
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 PM

The spacing on the Cervantes Crossover 1 is wider than a steel string. It is even wider on the Crossover 2. It is all a matter of preference and what you are most comfortable with. Those who are more comfortable with the standard classical guitar neck and sometimes larger hands will prefer the Crossover 2.
Having smaller hands and coming from a steel string background, I definitely prefer the Crossover 1. I bought and sold many beautiful sounding and looking classical guitars because my hands can't handle a standard non radiused wide classical neck.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM

I measured my Crossover I which is 55mm or 2-3/16", which is same as my Larrivee steel strings
Martin D-18GE Sunburst
Martin OOO-28VS
Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 PM

You can have a slim, radiused neck and a 48mm (or so) nut width and still have more than 55mm string spacing at the bridge. That is quite narrow for nylon strings and I can see how it would not work if you wanted to dig in and use the full tonal palette of the nylon strings (unless you have very slender fingers). Something in the 56-58mm would be a moderate string spacing in my opinion, suitable for a "crossover" or "hybrid" instrument. At least 58mm is desirable for a classical, again in my opinion.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical