The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Our band communicates through Messenger. I have a flip phone. I don't stare at FB for hrs a day so I have nothing to withdraw from.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 01-09-2020, 09:27 AM

Hello, my name is Ray and I'm a recovering Facebook-aholic!

well not really, but I do check it now and then as I also have family that do not live close by. It's just a way to keep in touch, nothing more. I like the jokes and the music related stuff.

I cannot and don't dwell in the politics that are just overwhelming FB. I stop following people who seem to live to throw anything political on there.

That quiets down the white noise considerably.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:46 AM

I've been thinking of signing up for YouTube under a pseudonym. Personally, I don't WANT to be spammed by people I deliberately cut out of my life in the interests of self preservation - much like the one I use here.

I have no interests in using it to share family stories; I would use it purely as a networking tool for special interests - again, much as I do here. I have no interest in either exploiting my family for monetary gain unless it were to benefit the family as a whole, and my wife is NOT on board for that because we value what privacy we can afford in this day and age. Unfortunately, in this "selfie" age I see too many younger families doing just that and it concerns me.

BTW, my wife is on Facebook and she gets "lost" in it while I try to initiate conversations. I literally have to text her from somewhere else in the house to get a response without spooking her out of her reverie. It amazes me how in this age of "wokeness" we seem to be sleep walking.

That being said, as a professional looking to promote one's abilities or craftsman looking to promote their wares or an artist looking to promote their talent I see a certain usefulness to it - but still I see the potential for seduction and feel it can be dangerous. Just like fire, if you play with it you might get burned.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:58 AM

~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Andromeda; 01-10-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I was seeing tons of memes with obviously bogus information that people were believing and promoting, I had to get away. That's when I lost my faith in humanity.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-10-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I'm a "social" drinker of Facebook. Never did have a problem with it, just use it a bit to stay in touch with folks.

Frankly, I think guitar forums are a MUCH bigger problem for me than Facebook ever was. There, I just stay in touch with a few people I'm happy to stay in touch with. But HERE I'm encouraged to consume, consume, consume, and consume some more. I check in with Facebook maybe once a week or so. I'm on 4-5 guitar forums that I check in on a few times each DAY! And to some productive purpose - I do learn useful things here.

But the MAIN thing these forums do is feed completely un-needed GAS. I have two acoustic guitars I love (and I probably wouldn't have either if I hadn't learned about them here) and two electric guitars I'm totally happy with (that I also learned about on other forums). I don't need or want any other guitars. But when I'm browsing around on the forums, I regularly FORGET that I don't need or want any other guitars. It's ALWAYS FEEDING IT!!!

It's a bit of problem - not a big one, not an unmanageable one, but it is one. I've bought guitars I didn't need only to like them a lot, but realize I had no need or even really want for them, and I've returned them. This does nobody any good! Me or the shops involved. I'd quit, but I enjoy the interactions, and, as noted, I DO learn useful stuff on these forums too.

So I can't condemn Facebook as some unbridled evil when I spend far more time and money around guitar forums than I ever would there. In fact, now, when I go to FB, the main thing I have to do is clear out all of the freaking guitar ads to get to the people I care about.

Lets all have a look in the mirror a little bit, eh?
Old 01-10-2020, 09:54 AM

I can't escape it because of use and market share. In my day job and for organizations where I volunteer many just go there.

It is nice to the extent that it is a view or peak at family and old friends stuff with people you just can't or don't see often. It's not so nice when you see how some are doing better than others in various ways but that's life. We're a lot less the same several decades after kindergarten or 3rd grade.

My work does show something very dangerous with Facebook but the sources are often not even Facebook and beyond. There are systems and services that create large databases of knowledge for malicious and fake content. Some is available to any home user such as the free version of Cisco Umbrella that was once OpenDNS. I have that at commercial grade and other state of the art products with a network-based security system that monitors all traffic. I see truly fake and dangerous news get flagged.

It can be Facebook but very often it's content linked via Facebook that is truly bad stuff created to manipulate people. It's even been stuff people will link in very well moderated forums like this that can raise a flag when behind those systems. Stuff the great staff here has no or little control over. We're in an era where we have to be vigilant.

For sure I do not consider popular social media as news the way many do. In this era I subscribe to or get at the library credible news whether or not it fits my leanings. Not doing stuff like that and only getting info in circles where it supports our personal leanings is my biggest bother with the Facebook era.

You can tune your Facebook experience too. I've blocked some nonsense. If the security systems I mentioned flag malicious or truly fake content I also take the time to report it to Facebook. This leaves my feed rather decent. I see the important friends and family stuff and see what I must for work and the volunteering I do.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:14 AM

I was on Facebook briefly a few years ago but disconnected - I used to have a hostile attitude toward it, but thinking about it now, my view now is that it’s a good way to connect with people from the past, family and friends, if one is competent at filtering out unwanted feeds.

I’m definitely with Ray that the guitar forums (for me) easily become an expensive and unnecessary distraction - a few guitars I have now are good for a lifetime of music making, and adding to that number of instruments or swapping for something else is an unhelpful diversion away from what these things are designed to do in the first place.

So yeah, it’s good to look in the mirror and avoid encroaching corruption.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:34 PM

I am not a fan of Facebook. I understand the attraction and the willness to want to stay connected with others, but I found it to be invasive, every time I went to my computer to do something there were so many friend suggestions from people I have never met, or even knew. No thank you.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:58 AM

I resigned from Facebook two days ago. I'm also pulling back from discussion forums like this one.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I resigned from Facebook two days ago. I'm also pulling back from discussion forums like this one.
Oh, come on, AX. We're not Facebook. Hope you stick around.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
This place is nowherer near as invasive, but yeah sometimes there's a lot of grumbling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic