The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM

Default Proud new cordoba owner...finally

So i finally (after months of being wish washy) purchased a used Cordoba
C5-Ce. I had been looking to purchase one ever since i felt the neck on the GK-Studio, though the GK's body wasn't what i was looking for it has the same neck as the C5. After months of waiting to get a new one i realized one was on our classified site and picked it up from Jhomer for half the price used...imagine that.
He said its double boxed and it'll be making its trip (I had it 3 dayed) through fedex from florida to california today. So hopefully I'll have it Mondayish.
This will be my first real guitar purchase so im pretty excited to progress from my Hohner that got me started.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:48 PM

Congrats! I had a C5-CE briefly, and it was very nice guitar, much better than even the new price would normally buy. I would have kept it if I thought I'd get used to the classical neck. I'm a 6th string thumber with a little arthritis coming on, and that task was just a bit too painful with the classical neck. I ended up buying a Fusion 14 for the more comfortable neck.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM

Default Cordoba gk

I just purchased a cordoba gk and I love it.I live in southern california , to be specific I love in the city of chino. So my question is to the gentlemen with the cordoba in cali..how to you plan on keeping an awesome instrument such as that one in check humidity wise?? I'm new to the whole thing. Is this even a concern for you?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM

Well done. My C7-CE arrived by Fed Ex this afternoon. I can't wait to get home!
After I've spent some time with it, I'll post a little review. Please let us know how you like yours.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM

I live in Northern San Diego county on the coast and this is the first guitar ive felt the need to humidify so ive just recently been looking into it. any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spainguit86 View Post
I just purchased a cordoba gk and I love it.I live in southern california , to be specific I love in the city of chino. So my question is to the gentlemen with the cordoba in cali..how to you plan on keeping an awesome instrument such as that one in check humidity wise?? I'm new to the whole thing. Is this even a concern for you?
It's a concern, but not an overriding one. I have a couple of hygrometers in the house and only become concerned when the humidity drops to low levels.

That said, my Fusion came with one of Protege hardshell cases Cordoba sells and ships with some of their guitars, and it comes with two humidifers and pockets that hold them tight inside. That's handy when the air becomes too dry. For my others I use old-fashioned Dampits, and they work quite well.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Default Dampit

I bought a Grover "dampit" instead of the original. In addition to the wormy thing that you soak before using, it has a plastic disk that fits over the sound hole. I like the idea of closing up the box to keep whatever moisture the dampit produces inside the guitar, but the plastic disk can scratch the guitar top. So I bought a sheet of that thin foam plastic blotter-stuff (stationary store) and glued (Duco household cement) a generously-sized piece to the bottom of the Grover disk. Now it stays in place, and really seals the hole.
T/
Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 AM

That's cool Tommy, but your fingerboard gets no moisture if you lock it all inside the guitar. You might consider a second dampit in the area underneath the peghead. Just make sure never to over moisten the dampit - wring it out first, then monitor it occasionally.

The method that's worked for me all these years is to keep a digital hygrometer inside the case. Everytime you open the case, you'll know where your relative humidity is.

Best,

Jay
Old 02-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Congrats! I actuallly JUST got a C10. Yesterday in fact. I'll have a post up soon too.
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach
Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygits View Post
That's cool Tommy, but your fingerboard gets no moisture if you lock it all inside the guitar. You might consider a second dampit in the area underneath the peghead. Just make sure never to over moisten the dampit - wring it out first, then monitor it occasionally.

The method that's worked for me all these years is to keep a digital hygrometer inside the case. Everytime you open the case, you'll know where your relative humidity is.

Best,

Jay
A hygrometer would just make me worry more. To hell with that! I've got enough things to worry about. As far as over-wetting the 'worm' is concerned, I soak mine for 5, 10 minutes, dry it off with a towel a bit and stick it in. There's a lot of dried-out wood in there in the wintertime!
Tommy__
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Yea besides guitars i've played in store this will be the first (in my eyes)quality guitar i will have had a chance to really experience on a day to day basis. For the first time i'll have a solid opinion on differences regarding guitar tonal quality.
Guitar should be here wednesday....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical