The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Default Pictures of my Applegate

Hi All

I realized that I have talked about my Applegate C quite a bit without posting any pictures. It is time I corrected this.

I got the guitar a year ago, this month, from Dream Guitars. I had been looking at other crossovers and when this popped up for a price I could actually afford, I jumped on it. I have not regretted that decision.

It has an Engelmann top and Myrtle B/S. The pictures do not do justice to the myrtle. It has enough flame that is starts to rival koa for just out and out pretty.

The scale length is 26 inches. I have to admit that caused me some concern and I am glad Dream Guitars has a return policy, otherwise I would not have gotten it. After playing it for a day or two I decided it wasn't going to be a big issue for me. The one thing I did discover is if I hold the guitar more in a classical position it is easier for me to make longer fret reaches. My Neck Up is a great help for that.

I have added a K&K classical dual source (Pure Classical and internal mic) that I run through a DTAR Solstice. Wes Brandt here in Portland did the install (Eric Skye recommended him). He did a great job. With Jim Prior retired, I think Wes is going to be my goto guy for serious work.

I love the guitar. I will admit, I don't play in a classical style. I play it pretty much like I would a steel string. That may continue to evolve over time but I bought it for the tone. And I love the tone. Brian built a truly great instrument when he built this one.

Now, onto the pictures.....

Front

Back

Back, Close Up

Rosette

Enjoy

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339

Last edited by jayhawk; 02-10-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM

Hey,

Nice guitar! How do you like the Engelmann?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:19 PM

I like the Engelmann top. I have found that on steel string guitars in 'blind' tests I tend to like Engelmann better than Sitka. I also have not played a lot of cedar tops that I really like. So when this one popped up I was not at all put off by the top. It may have been a real positive for me.

I don't see that the lower tension of the nylon strings have any problem driving the top on this guitar.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
I like the Engelmann top. I have found that on steel string guitars in 'blind' tests I tend to like Engelmann better than Sitka.
I feel the same way about Engelmann over Sitka... Of other spruces, I also like red spruce... But after a while I feel like the red spruce is very harsh to my ears... while Engelmann is so pleasant to listen to.

Also -- Very cool rosette =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical