The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2019, 02:20 PM

Default Separate saddle for each of the strings? (to aid balance)

I have problem with uneven output on a guitar with an undersaddle pickup. As the problem lies (in most cases) with uneven pressure on a piezo strip, wouldn't (in theory) that be solved with an individual saddles for each of the string for a maximum output? Yet, I've never seen such saddles on a guitar, so there must be a good reason for it?

Last edited by diego; 01-16-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:19 PM

There have been guitars with separate saddles for each string, but I believe the design was more for intonation rather than string balance. I doubt splitting the saddle would solve the balance problem, as each string has slightly different tension and break angle which would result in uneven downforce on each saddle.
et al
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
I have problem with uneven output on a guitar with an undersaddle pickup. As the problem lies (in most cases) with uneven pressure on a piezo strip, wouldn't (in theory) that be solved with an individual saddles for each of the string for a maximum output? Yet, I've never seen such saddles on a guitar, so there must be a good reason for it?
I think that's an excellent idea worth experimenting with. Meanwhile, here's a ready-made product that seems to hit on the same idea:
Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Diego,
The Gibson SST Chet Atkins came with a six element pickup, and each element had its own micro volume control inside the electronic compartment.

Most under saddle pickups should be pretty well balanced under normal circumstances. Most of the time its something else causing the issue such as a badly seated saddle, a saddle that's too tight, too loose, badly cut saddle slot or small piece of dirt under the element, etc, etc.

HE
Old 01-16-2019, 07:52 PM

Just one more reason I favor soundboard transducers over UST's.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I have an old LR Baggs Hex system in my classical, but they quit making that product. Shadow, Graph Tech and RMC still sell hex pickup systems for acoustic guitars.

Baggs still makes the LB6 pickup which has the six piezo crystals built into a saddle. I've had three LB6 rigs and they all had a pretty even string response. Barbera has a similar pickup which is much pricier.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 AM

Quote:
I have problem with uneven output on a guitar with an undersaddle pickup. As the problem lies (in most cases) with uneven pressure on a piezo strip, wouldn't (in theory) that be solved with an individual saddles for each of the string for a maximum output? Yet, I've never seen such saddles on a guitar
No longer made but here you go:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ckups-set-of-6

Similarly, reviewed by AGR regular Doug:

The majority of factory electro acoustic guitars are shipped with basic piezo/preamp systems that are cheap to make and install. Individual saddle systems are much pricier and depending on the design could be very fiddly to install (saddle slot routing etc). The thing is the UST tends to be the least favourite method of amplifying because of the sound, in other words for most people I think the string balance would be the least of their worries.

If you can afford to upgrade to install an individual saddle system you have much better options for pick ups for both sound *and* balance IMO, which is why this approach is not hugely popular.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification