The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graylocks View Post
Factory? Really? What's your definition of factory? To me Martin, Taylor, Gibson et al qualify as factory level output.
Yeah, Collings are generally considered to made in a factory, it's definitely a smaller factory than Martin or Taylor, but it's a factory. There's a certain amount of splitting hairs here. But they do make about 5 times more guitars every year than Huss and Dalton, for example (~1000 vs ~200).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-26-2021, 11:22 AM

Default Collings

I have only played one Collings, the 1993 D3 I own.
Compared to my Martin dread, it has more midrange and presence.

They make some nice electric guitars too!
Old 10-26-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Another satisfied Collings owner.

I play a Baby 2H and a 001 14 fret. They are remarkable instruments in build, sound, and playability. They do cost a lot but they are worth it to me. I've owned plenty of high end Taylors and Martins but in the end, Collings are my favorite brand. Are there others just as great? You bet there are : ) To each is own, right?
Old 10-26-2021, 11:26 AM

Asking this forum if anyone owns a Collings kind of made me laugh!

I was in Nashville a few months ago and one of the best guitars at TNAG was a Collings, was not in the market, but if I was, that was what I would have purchased.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Yeah, Collings are generally considered to made in a factory, it's definitely a smaller factory than Martin or Taylor, but it's a factory. There's a certain amount of splitting hairs here. But they do make about 5 times more guitars every year than Huss and Dalton, for example (~1000 vs ~200).
Technically true, as they have maybe 70+ employees; but I think the term "factory"carries associations with most folks that do not accurately align with the Collings business model.

To the OP — I have owned mostly vintage Martins and Gibsons in the past. My OM2H is my first Collings and I absolutely love everything about it. It is true a joy to play. As for the Collings brightness that occasionally gets mentioned (relative to a Martin), to my ears it's really more about clarity and balance across the spectrum. Also, across the Collings line you will find a good range of acoustic profiles. Mine is a Traditional Series with a baked Adi top and satin finish, which results in a bit more sweetness and warmth than you might find in some others. It sounds like sunshine seen through a jar of honey.

Find a dealer with some good stock and try a few with different specs. You might like what you hear.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:33 AM

I have several, and someone sniped an adirondack/madigascar dread from me at Boston's Music Emporium last week. I was about to put a couple guitars up for sale and buy it but somebody beat me to it!

They got themselves a fantastic guitar!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 10-26-2021, 11:57 AM

I have bought 5, kept 3. I think their OM’s are very special (I have an OM2HG). Their dreadnaughts are terrific….louder than many a Martin I have come across, and I like the balance of the Collings tone. I also love my CJ35.

Even the two I sold were very fine guitars that I enjoyed playing and owning…i just longed for something different, and sold them to make room and clear funds to buy other guitars.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

I've owned three. The thought of a Traditional Collings dread with satin finish haunts me daily!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-26-2021, 12:15 PM

I’ve owned 2, still have the second. The first was an 01 and the other is an 02H. Both superlative in every way, IMO. The 01 has mahogany back and sides. The 02H has EIR back and sides and 28 styling. I was able to do an in person trade - my 01 plus cash for his 02H. Both guitars are from my admittedly limited perspective - I haven’t played enough high end guitars from various makers to know what I might be missing - at the pinnacle of guitar craftsmanship.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 10-26-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

My history with Collings standard series guitars is checkered. I have owned two OM1s, a CW Indian, and an OM1MC, and played dozens of others. I'm a fan of the neck profiles and the volume on the standard line, but not the voicing. At first I liked it, but after a bit, I got tired of the hot midrange and nails on a chalkboard grating clarity, and longed for the familiarity and warmth of the Martin/Gibson vintage voicing.

Playability was another sore spot with me (except on the OM1MC which was perfect) and there are countless threads here in the AGF of me commenting on their 'unforgiveness' of sloppy or loosey-goosey play. I came to understand much later that due in part to their precision builds, there is a very small sweet spot of action and relief that is measured in increments, especially when the guitars are new. When you find it, they play like butter. Clearly the ones that I owned were not dialed in just right.

Anyway, that is in the past. I now own a D2HTS (Sitka/EIR Satin Finish Traditional) that is among the finest dreads I've ever had. It is also the most Martin-like/vintage sounding of all the Collings I've played too, with one of the best C to V vintage style necks available. A near perfect guitar.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 10-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

I also agree on what was said about Collings midrange strength (probably better described as ‘balanced’) vs. Martin’s depth of bass and strength of trebles. Not better- but different. I love both and play both everyday. Collings fit, finish and overall construction quality are impeccable. Also- I think Bill’s affinity for Adirondack and mahogany is borne out by the nearly universal love for the D1A- regardless of the series. I currently have a D1ATS which I believe I will never sell and an OM42BaaaA.
2021 Martin 39' D18AA
2015 Duff F5
2008 Kimble A5
AO Tele 60's LPB
Vintage Fender Twin
Old 10-26-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Asking this forum if anyone owns a Collings kind of made me laugh!

I was in Nashville a few months ago and one of the best guitars at TNAG was a Collings, was not in the market, but if I was, that was what I would have purchased.
Yeah, maybe I should have rephrased that! Kinda like asking anyone at AA meeting if they have ever been drunk. 😂
Old 10-26-2021, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Also should mention to the OP that I bought my OM for the same reason that you referenced, a shoulder issue. I had surgery to fix that and so I am back to the dreads. But it is a good solution and smaller guitars are a joy in their own right.
2021 Martin 39' D18AA
2015 Duff F5
2008 Kimble A5
AO Tele 60's LPB
Vintage Fender Twin
Old 10-26-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
I have several, and someone sniped an adirondack/madigascar dread from me at Boston's Music Emporium last week. I was about to put a couple guitars up for sale and buy it but somebody beat me to it!

They got themselves a fantastic guitar!
I have a C10 MRA, it’s a wonderful guitar.
Small guitar but the sound is great
Old 10-26-2021, 01:42 PM

I've never seen a post or heard anyone say, "I hate my Collins!"

Collins owners seem to be a pretty content bunch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion