The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-08-2021, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Here's mine:

Custom Shop '60 NOS

Leo sure did have an eye for design....

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-08-2021, 01:52 PM

Todd, I believe it's called Sienna Burst... beautiful! I've always liked that color but you don't see it around often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Here's mine. This is an American Profession (1) strat. I love the color, but my secondary reason for buying this color was that it was the only color for which I could get it in swamp ash. It's a great sounding guitar. It's not blocked, but I did add two extra springs and don't really use the tremolo.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Todd, I believe it's called Sienna Burst... beautiful! I've always liked that color but you don't see it around often.
Correct Dru! I do remember it being called Sienna Burst. I think it's a right attractive guitar in that color. I just looked, and the same color is offered for the AM Pro II version but it's now in roasted pine. No idea how that translates tone wise from the ash version I own. It's a great sounding guitar for sure. I have grown into more of a semi-hollow and hollowbody fan, but I plan to probably keep the strat and tele around anyway.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:01 AM

Here is mine. American Professional II...

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 10-09-2021, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I love 'em all, especially those beautiful bursts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Here's mine. This is an American Profession (1) strat. I love the color...
That really is lovely, BD. Unusual color... what'd you do... pour honey all over it? Gorgeous!
Old 10-09-2021, 09:35 AM

Here are mine. From left to right:

* American Standard with Hotrails in the neck and bridge
* American Standard
* Mexi Strat with a Vineham custom pickup in bridge (a la Super Distortion)

Old 10-10-2021, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
My Strat is a Warmoth body & neck combo that I bought at a guitar show in the early 90's. The guitar had no electronics or pick guard. However, it did have the bridge, nut and tuners and the dealer strung it up so a buyer could "play" it. I picked it up and the guy at the both told me that this guitar rang out acoustically better than any Strat he'd ever played and he simply ran out of time to install any pickups before the show. Seemed a bit strange, but oh well. I picked it up, gave it some big cowboy chord strums as well as some jazzier stuff up the neck and, wow, he was right. There was something special going on with this piece of maple bolted to the slab of ash.
I put my Strat together from various parts, a body from an Eric Johnson Strat which already had the bridge installed, and a Classic 60's lacquer finished maple neck. And since I already had the neck and tuners, I strung mine up in the same way yours was strung up. And it too had a crazy resonance. I had to wonder was that because a loaded pick-guard may just dampen tone, but even after I installed the pick-guard, it sounded great.

I've had a few Strats, and this one smokes them all...

Listen to the spanky twang goodness...

The pickups are EP Custom, and I used a Eric Johnson style wiring harness. which was done by a reverb seller named SmokeyBs.

I cut and finished the nut

I removed two of these strings when I set it up to float...

Old 10-10-2021, 05:01 AM

Frank, that's a beautiful reverse headstock Strat. Don't see them around. String tree looks odd on the low E string but it serves its purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Mine's not particularly pretty, but it does what I need it for and I like its one distinctive feature. A lot of people who look at it will think "OK, a black Strat." Look again.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Frank, that's a beautiful reverse headstock Strat. Don't see them around. String tree looks odd on the low E string but it serves its purpose.
Before I bought this one I actually bought a left-handed Strat and flipped it upside down for the full Jimi Hendrix experience. What did I learn? Extraordinary bafflement at how Hendrix could play that and look so natural and at ease! Little stuff like bumping into the the cable at the jack plate would often bug me (when I watch Hendrix play on film it never seems to bother him). The upside-down controls were so, so in the wrong place, and of course the famous Strat "comfort contours" were all wrong too.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-10-2021, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Love that first one, rockabilly! These are all too pretty. I need to get out of this thread or pretty soon I'll be looking for a Strat!
Old 10-10-2021, 11:02 AM

'64 strat and ron thorn strat...

cool look at the Thorn
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 10-10-2021, 03:25 PM

My offering is a 1998 SRV Strat that I bought last year. I realize some may consider it heresy but I replaced the Texas Special pickups with David Allen Texas Floods. Usually I run it with a really clean tone from my pedalboard. Keeping an eye on it is my sidekick Finn.

-jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1715.jpg (48.2 KB, 118 views)
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 10-10-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
My offering is a 1998 SRV Strat that I bought last year. I realize some may consider it heresy but I replaced the Texas Special pickups with David Allen Texas Floods. Usually I run it with a really clean tone from my pedalboard. Keeping an eye on it is my sidekick Finn.

-jay
The colors on that (headstock, pickguard, body) really flow together nicely. Probably sounds good too, but we are looking at pictures.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-10-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
The colors on that (headstock, pickguard, body) really flow together nicely. Probably sounds good too, but we are looking at pictures.
The SRV pick guard was pretty chewed up but I'm kinda weird, deep respect for Stevie but its my guitar, hence, replaced the pick guard. Its tone is just what I was looking for, a clean powerful tone for a worship setting. Really love the David Allens.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 10-11-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
The SRV pick guard was pretty chewed up but I'm kinda weird, deep respect for Stevie but its my guitar, hence, replaced the pick guard. Its tone is just what I was looking for, a clean powerful tone for a worship setting. Really love the David Allens.
-jay
Jay, I was going to ask you about the pickguard because it didn't look stock (no SRV initials). Great guitar and specs too. I know I'd like the 12" radius.

BTW, Finn is beautiful. When you mentioned the pickguard was chewed up, that's just an expression, right?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars