The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-05-2021, 03:16 PM

Default Gretsch coming-out party

I went to a memorial gathering, sort of a funeral ceilidh, last weekend for a friend who died last year (not COVID-related). Many of his friends are musicians, so people brought instruments and gathered in the host's large backyard to play and sing. There were several acoustic guitars, a mandolin, harmonica, etc. Along with my Martin I brought my new Gretsch 5420TG and a little portable Vox modeling amp for it. It was the first time I had played the Gretsch with other musicians.

Two things about the 5420 that I was already in love with really came to the fore that night: its absolute butter-like playability and its sweet, clear, ringing tone. I was having that experience where everything your brain tells you to play is just right there; the neck hands the notes to you on a silver platter. After it got dark, it was tricky to see the fret markers, but it hardly mattered; I was finding my way by feel, and the guitar made that easy.

As for the tone, all night long I kept getting compliments about how great the guitar sounded. I've never played an electric that combines clarity and definition with roundness in quite this way. It reminds me of a slogan my dad's trumpet teacher taught him: "every note a pearl."

Can't believe I only paid $700 for this thing, lightly used. One of my best instrument purchases ever.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 08-05-2021, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

The Gretsch 5420TG is a winner and I wish I'd have discovered it and similar Gretsch models years ago. Mine sounds great through my Fender amps! Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-05-2021, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post

Can't believe I only paid $700 for this thing, lightly used. One of my best instrument purchases ever.
You got a wonderful deal on a great guitar! I'm glad you are enjoying it!

- Glenn
Old 08-05-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I went to a memorial gathering, sort of a funeral ceilidh, last weekend for a friend who died last year...Many of his friends are musicians, so people brought instruments and gathered in the host's large backyard to play and sing...I brought my new Gretsch 5420TG and a little portable Vox modeling amp for it. It was the first time I had played the Gretsch with other musicians.

Two things about the 5420 that I was already in love with really came to the fore that night: its absolute butter-like playability and its sweet, clear, ringing tone. I was having that experience where everything your brain tells you to play is just right there; the neck hands the notes to you on a silver platter...

As for the tone, all night long I kept getting compliments about how great the guitar sounded. I've never played an electric that combines clarity and definition with roundness in quite this way...

I've been saying for years that the MIK E-Matics are fully pro-quality instruments that just happen to sell for step-up/intermediate-player prices - IME most electric players who try one buy one, and I'm sure you opened up a lot of eyes/ears/minds that day...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 08-06-2021, 09:07 AM

hey guys... I've been playing for decades, got lots of guitars, (eg: I'm not an intermediate....) my MIK 5422TG is killer.. I can't really see how a MIJ module for 3x the price is 3x the guitar aside from maybe a pickup swap for TV Jones of Filtertrons..

These are sweet!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-06-2021, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I went to a memorial gathering, sort of a funeral ceilidh, last weekend for a friend who died last year (not COVID-related). Many of his friends are musicians, so people brought instruments and gathered in the host's large backyard to play and sing. There were several acoustic guitars, a mandolin, harmonica, etc. Along with my Martin I brought my new Gretsch 5420TG and a little portable Vox modeling amp for it. It was the first time I had played the Gretsch with other musicians.

Two things about the 5420 that I was already in love with really came to the fore that night: its absolute butter-like playability and its sweet, clear, ringing tone. I was having that experience where everything your brain tells you to play is just right there; the neck hands the notes to you on a silver platter. After it got dark, it was tricky to see the fret markers, but it hardly mattered; I was finding my way by feel, and the guitar made that easy.

As for the tone, all night long I kept getting compliments about how great the guitar sounded. I've never played an electric that combines clarity and definition with roundness in quite this way. It reminds me of a slogan my dad's trumpet teacher taught him: "every note a pearl."

What a beautiful story and great way to honor your friend. The Gretsch 54xx Korean guitars are incredible. They way out punch their weight. I have the older 5122 which Jones pickups and it sounds glorious.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 10-05-2021, 11:40 AM

What color is yours?
I got a new 5422T almost two years ago and am loving it. I sure haven't played all the guitars out there, but I sure agree that this is a great value, and it comes with plenty of personality built-in.
Mine is the Vintage Orange.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-05-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I own several Gretsches and one of them is a 5420t (not the gold version) in Fairlane blue. I love Gretsch guitars and they really do punch above their weight. I have some minor upgrades on mine, but really these are great just as they come from the factory. I also own a G5422-12 and have been considering a standard g5422t, but I doubt the tone would be appreciably different from my g5420t.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:51 PM

yea,,, same experience that everyone has that buys one of these newish gretchs

they really are great deals

I love my 5422tg

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-08-2021, 02:27 PM

For you 5420 and 5422 players, I have a question. Some of the used ones I've seen on Reverb have the iconic thumbnail fret markers, but some of them have a rectangle with a hump on top (not sure what those are called). Are those the older ones?

If so, when did the switch happen? And are the older ones with those fret markers as good as the new ones?

I'm kinda jonesin' for one of these, although I need it about like I need to be axed in the head.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
For you 5420 and 5422 players, I have a question. Some of the used ones I've seen on Reverb have the iconic thumbnail fret markers, but some of them have a rectangle with a hump on top (not sure what those are called). Are those the older ones?

If so, when did the switch happen? And are the older ones with those fret markers as good as the new ones?

I'm kinda jonesin' for one of these, although I need it about like I need to be axed in the head.
I think the switch happened maybe in 2015 or 2016? I may be wrong about that. However, the gold models, as seen with a "g" on the end, I think have kept the other marker (rectangle with a hump as you describe it).
Old 10-08-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I think the switch happened maybe in 2015 or 2016? I may be wrong about that. However, the gold models, as seen with a "g" on the end, I think have kept the other marker (rectangle with a hump as you describe it).
They're kind of a mixed bag, depending on model; Neo-Classic (AKA "thumbnail") fingerboards appear at least as far back as the early-2K's on certain Electromatic hollowbodies, and they've been used periodically thereafter across the E-Matic line, IMO to immediately differentiate them from their more expensive Professional Series counterparts as with the gold models and certain double-cut solidbodies (the white 5422G and its discontinued single-cutaway 5420G stablemate - which ironically bore Neo-Classic markers in its final incarnation - can be easily customized to near-Falcon specs with readily-available over-the-counter parts, and there's at least one fellow AGF'er whose 5420G has been mistaken for the real thing). That said, as with all things Gretsch since 1883 nothing's set in stone - several Pro-Series models also use the hump-block inlays, and the $299 entry-level G2210 Streamliner Junior Jet Club uses the Neo-Classics...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 10-08-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:25 PM

Thank you so much for the info. I think the moral to the story is to find one I like in good shape and at a fair price and buy it regardless of which fret markers it has.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info. I think the moral to the story is to find one I like in good shape and at a fair price and buy it regardless of which fret markers it has.
There was a fairly major upgrade in the blacktop filtertrons a number of years ago. You would have to research when that was, but I think anything after around 2016 or so should be fine. The older pickups weren't as highly regarded.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
...I think the moral to the story is to find one I like in good shape and at a fair price, and buy it regardless of which fret markers it has.
There's also the question of pickups, headstock, and country of origin - since there's too much info to get into here, I'd recommend using the Search function to consult prior threads dealing with each variation - but the broad general rule-of-thumb (pun intended... ) is that the post-2013 Korean-made Electromatics with blacktop Filter'Trons (including the current 5400-Series) and/or Super Hi-lo'Trons are the "good" ones...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars