The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-04-2021, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Hi Dustin, the updated drawing looks great. I love the shape.

As far as the veneers go, I'm off the opinion that they won't have much influence on sound due to the stiffness of the side construction and thinness of the material so if it was for me, I'd probably go for the walnut to provide visual contrast against the blackwood. That being said, if I were you, I'd probably go for the bocote because of the reflection of my heritage! Good luck with the choice.
I love em both! Just waiting to hear back from Rory if he believes there to be any sort of tonal coloring from either/or. My guess is no but we shall see, indeed

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 08-04-2021, 09:06 PM

Default Taran "Tirga Beag" (Italian Spruce & ABW) due Oct/Nov

The insides of mine are purple! Haven’t honestly noticed this at all on the regular. In person it’s all very subtle. I’d imagine that the tonal impact is minimal/negligible, but I’m no Rory. All I know is that the sides on my Taran don’t vibrate at all (on the exterior), and it sounds stellar.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 08-05-2021, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Just waiting to hear back from Rory if he believes there to be any sort of tonal coloring from either/or. My guess is no but we shall see, indeed
I was talking to nylon luthier Kris Barnett about exactly this issue a while back, when I mentioned that increased side thickness suggested the wood used was irrelevant. I was surprised that he disagreed, stating that he felt the woods used did indeed impart some tonal colour.

He said that this surprised him, but it's what he heard from his (many) builds.
I'll be interested to hear what Rory thinks.

The inside of mine will be Seafoam Green!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-06-2021, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Decided to go with the Bocote just because it would be a first for me having that wood on a guitar. Rory is taking a small vacation for a few weeks so I'm hoping Zachie sends over a photo or two once the box is closed!

Old 08-07-2021, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Dustin, the only thing that might be a consideration in laminate choice is differential radial shrinkage between African Blackwood (2.9%) and Bocote (4.0%). Black Walnut actually moves even more (5.5%). Woods like Honduran Mahogany (2.9%) and East Indian Rosewood (2.7%) are both very close.

My $.02
Old 08-07-2021, 06:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Dustin, the only thing that might be a consideration in laminate choice is differential radial shrinkage between African Blackwood (2.9%) and Bocote (4.0%). Black Walnut actually moves even more (5.5%). Woods like Honduran Mahogany (2.9%) and East Indian Rosewood (2.7%) are both very close.

My $.02
Hi Dustin,

Bob's point may be valid for solid sides but looking at the photos of your wood choices it appears that the inner wood pieces are more than likely veneer which is typically .020" thick. During the lamination process its typical that the adhesive will permeate the veneers under the clamping force of the lamination process. Therefore, the veneer will become saturated with adhesive to the point that it renders it immobile of any radial or tangential shrinkage and locks the inner and outer side pieces of wood into one solid ply.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Hi Dustin,

Bob's point may be valid for solid sides but looking at the photos of your wood choices it appears that the inner wood pieces are more than likely veneer which is typically .020" thick. During the lamination process its typical that the adhesive will permeate the veneers under the clamping force of the lamination process. Therefore, the veneer will become saturated with adhesive to the point that it renders it immobile of any radial or tangential shrinkage and locks the inner and outer side pieces of wood into one solid ply.
Tim may be absolutely correct Dustin. I did not look at the veneers carefully. very thin laminates will flood with epoxy and be stabilized. My comment was based on that many builders who laminate their sides will utilize thicker laminations.

I have seen 2 x 1.2 mm layers and 2 or 3 mm outer + 1 mm inner used by a number of builders. I have also seen 3 layer laminates like with a 2 mm outer + 2 x 0.5 mm middle/inners used. I guess I think about inner laminations not so much aesthetically, but in terms of mass, bendability and stability.

Cool guitar BTW, thanks for sharing the build here…
Old 08-24-2021, 03:51 AM

I've been watching this thread closely. Dustin gets to play a lot of guitars so when he jumps on a brand, I get interested. I found a small Taran DS5 at a reasonable price and I bought it. Moon Spruce and Macassar Ebony. Should take delivery late this week.

Cincy
Old 08-24-2021, 06:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations Dustin,
I’ve been following Rory’s work for quite a few years, and he builds world-class guitars which are definitely worthy of your artistry. Beyond that, though, is the nature of his being…as he seems to be a genuinely kind and compassionate human who is guided by the temperament of an “old-soul”

I’m looking forward to seeing this guitar, and to hearing what it’s going to inspire from within your own “old-soul”

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-27-2021, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
I've been watching this thread closely. Dustin gets to play a lot of guitars so when he jumps on a brand, I get interested. I found a small Taran DS5 at a reasonable price and I bought it. Moon Spruce and Macassar Ebony. Should take delivery late this week.

Cincy
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I love that tone wood combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Congratulations Dustin,
I’ve been following Rory’s work for quite a few years, and he builds world-class guitars which are definitely worthy of your artistry. Beyond that, though, is the nature of his being…as he seems to be a genuinely kind and compassionate human who is guided by the temperament of an “old-soul”

I’m looking forward to seeing this guitar, and to hearing what it’s going to inspire from within your own “old-soul”

-joel
Rory definitely is an old soul. It's been fun to see his posts of the old vintage saws and wood processors he's been acquiring to more efficiently mill every last bit of usable material. His son seems to be pulling a significant amount of weight too, which I think is great. Teach em young!

Old 08-28-2021, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I love that tone wood combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQAs7EAxpOI

This is the actual instrument. Without even touching it yet, it's easy to understand why you invested in the brand.

Cincy
Old 08-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Well, you learn something new everyday, it seems. I stand corrected that Zachie isn't actually Rory's son, my mistake to assume given his young age and skill. I'm pleased to know that someone who will most likely be a master luthier in his own right later is spending some of his formative training on my guitar. Will only add to the value of it later

"Zachie isn’t myself and Gemma’s Son. He came into the workshop when he was 13 and started working when he turned 16. He’s been full time now for 2 years which is crazy thinking about it. Even aged 13 he had crazy abilities and now 18 he is one of the best wood workers I’ve come across (I’ve met a few). As his experience grows so does his skill but fundamentally he looks at wood as in 3D, can see inside it before its cut and can foresee problems before they arise. It took me years to get to that point and it’s amazing to share work and the workshop with someone who truly get it. Super cool!"

Old 09-17-2021, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

A plethora of goodies to share here from the last few months, Rory spent today voicing the top and I assume the box will be closed in the coming weeks. Seriously cannot wait to pick this up in late November.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:09 PM

I know I'm biased, but that is looking awesome. Great combination of woods.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:09 PM

Looks great. I just love the arch to the back and the tension braces!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop