The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Every time I read about somebody taking their guitar into their "luthier" I want to scream! How many real luthiers are out there? If I went to Gryphon near me and had one of their guys setup my guitar it wouldn't be taking it to a "luthier". A luthier makes stringed instruments and if someone doesn't they aren't a luthier.
Yeah judging from your large collection of guitars, you are not very impressed with luthiers.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 10-26-2021, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'm glad we got this settled.

- Glenn

PS: By the way, my technician, who is very good, doesn't build guitars, and he refers to himself as a technician. But by some definitions he might actually fit the "luthier" description.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:22 AM

I don't have any problem with accurate language. Seems reasonable.

But I take my guitar to a luthier who also does a lot of repairs. Every time I write luthier am I obligated to mention that Steve has some very reasonably priced guitars? A buddy purchased kind of a D-18 copy (very plain hog) for around $7,000, although that was a handful of years ago.

My prejudice usually runs to a mental picture of a 19 year old kid working as a tech at the local GC, which is, of course, not tied in any way to reality in many places. I don't really care what anyone else calls their guy/girl. Not everyone lives driving distance from a good luthier.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-27-2021, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Since we have pretty much worn this one out, let's go after "Jam". I mean, I hear that one misused all the time. My friend went out to the park and sat on a bench to jam. Come on, everyone knows that's woodshacking.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-27-2021, 08:49 AM

Having worked on my own gear and other peoples instruments for 20 + years doing complete refinishing jobs on many guitars, electronic swap outs and mods, saddle and nut installations, neck relief adjustments and even some minor fret work I now know according to many on this thread that I am a luthier. Thank you all for the title.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 10-27-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Having worked on my own gear and other peoples instruments for 20 + years doing complete refinishing jobs on many guitars, electronic swap outs and mods, saddle and nut installations, neck relief adjustments and even some minor fret work I now know according to many on this thread that I am a luthier. Thank you all for the title.

Don't thank us for bestowing, figuratively?, {;-) this title of "luthier" upon you, for now you will have to charge less money for the work you do on said guitars than you could have if you had just remained a "guitar repair tech".

But...Your Welcome...anyway?...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 10-27-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Since we have pretty much worn this one out, let's go after "Jam". I mean, I hear that one misused all the time. My friend went out to the park and sat on a bench to jam. Come on, everyone knows that's woodshacking.
Hmmm...the term I've heard is woodshedding...uh oh, sounds like we need a new thread
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-27-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
You're free to call yourself whatever you want. The proof is where the rubber hits the road. What you can actually do... anything else is simply paying yourself lip service.

I can stand in front of the drugstore display and pick out a pair of reading glasses, but I wouldn't call myself an optometrist.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Hmmm...the term I've heard is woodshedding...uh oh, sounds like we need a new thread
Not sure it is even worth its own thread. But then we've gone farther on this one than I ever imagined.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-27-2021, 11:34 AM

What's wrong with "guitar tech"?
Old 10-27-2021, 11:38 AM

Park in a driveway and drive on a parkway….durn ol words never shoulda trusted em
Old 10-27-2021, 12:21 PM

Since I can do repairs, setups, and maintenance and know how to make a guitar, henceforth I shall be known as a, "Doctor of Luthiopathic Medicine".

I get to put, "M.D.(g). after my name, I get special license plates, and I have up front reserved parking at guitar shops. And I must be addressed as, "Doctor".

I'm sure I can think of other benefits. I just need to think on it.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:27 AM

Oh such fun (for free), on a Thursday morn'!
I just read the whole thread, and it made me smile and see the AGF can still chase down and beat that ol' horse when it gets dragged into town!

I have been an English (and Art) teacher for 30+ years, and indeed, the
American-English language is one of the most dynamic and flexible in the world; look at how many different words from other languages we have incorporated for daily use, and have become "invented" from the digital age--just in my lifetime.

Hat's off to the poster (not artwork on a wall here!) who utilized The Bard's soliloquy; well done!

What was once "cool" is/was recently "hot". "I'm good with that" is now "I'm down with that!" When did bad become a noun? ("My bad!") Etc.

Just rollin' with it as noon approaches. (Conjure all you want from the word "rollin'"!)
Old 10-28-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboz View Post
Oh such fun (for free), on a Thursday morn'!
I just read the whole thread, and it made me smile and see the AGF can still chase down and beat that ol' horse when it gets dragged into town!

I have been an English (and Art) teacher for 30+ years, and indeed, the
American-English language is one of the most dynamic and flexible in the world; look at how many different words from other languages we have incorporated for daily use, and have become "invented" from the digital age--just in my lifetime.

Hat's off to the poster (not artwork on a wall here!) who utilized The Bard's soliloquy; well done!

What was once "cool" is/was recently "hot". "I'm good with that" is now "I'm down with that!" When did bad become a noun? ("My bad!") Etc.

Just rollin' with it as noon approaches. (Conjure all you want from the word "rollin'"!)
Or in the words of that great American Grandpa Simpson...

Quote:
I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-02-2021, 08:07 AM

To be clear; I can't say, "I'm taking my guitar to my luthier," because he doesn't build guitars for me.
I prefer to be more clear in my communications, and so refer to that person who I take my guitar(s) for guitar tune-ups and repairs to as a guitar tech (shorthand for technician--we should know this) or repair person...or I just say I'm "taking them to Elderly" (which is where I've been going for 30+ yrs. for all of my guitar needs, and which strikes fear into the budget chief!).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion