The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 08:34 PM

Default GHS Thin Core PB's.

First time user - put them on my Epiphone IBG Hummingbird yesterday.

'Low Tension Round Core Full Sound'

First impressions are yes, these are noticeably lower in tension and very easy on the fret hand - they actually feel must lighter gauge than .012 - .052.

That slightly lighter .052 might not be the best match for this guitar - it seems to need a .053 or .054.

Volume is good and nice fresh string sustain - good strings for players looking for lower tension alternatives.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-28-2021, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up from me too. I put them on two guitars after a friend recommended them. No big deal on the first guitar, which is now sounding great with Earthwood Silk and Steel. But on the second guitar the Thin Cores are quite amazing.

Following the success of the Thin Cores, I've put GHS Vintage Bronze on my 00 and they work really well. It is definitely worth trying out various strings for each guitar.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
First time user - put them on my Epiphone IBG Hummingbird yesterday.

'Low Tension Round Core Full Sound'

First impressions are yes, these are noticeably lower in tension and very easy on the fret hand - they actually feel must lighter gauge than .012 - .052.

That slightly lighter .052 might not be the best match for this guitar - it seems to need a .053 or .054.

Volume is good and nice fresh string sustain - good strings for players looking for lower tension alternatives.
Definitely easy feeling under the left hand. As for "nice fresh string sustain", I'd say they are more than that. On the two guitars I've tried them on they ring for miles and miles unless I use my palm to damp them.

Which is a good thing for some kinds of playing but has to be managed (damping) for other styles. I think it's just a round-core thing to have lots of ringing sustain.

I'm keeping a "light" set on my old ready-to-fall-apart-any-day Takamine dred because they are by far the fullest sounding low-tension set I've found and the bridge on that guitar will last a lot longer with around 130 pounds of tension rather than 150-160 with a normal light-gauge setup.

It's funny, I was just playing that guitar moments ago, for the first time in a fw day, before opening up the laptop and seeing this thread!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-28-2021, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Another thumbs up for these good sounding, low tension strings, although I prefer my Martin retros/monels

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 10-28-2021, 08:27 AM

Maybe my experience was an outlier, but somehow I found this set to be the stiffest strings I ever tried. Maybe GHS mispackaged another set of strings.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:45 AM

For me going with low tension strings on a few of my guitars is more a matter of survival than sound. As a shop right down the road stocks GHS strings they ordered me in some sets of the Thin Cores. I tried them first on my '32 Gibson L1. I went with 11s though and the low end felt kinda floppy. Too much give. The 12s though fared better on my '42 J50.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

They also make these in a medium gauge. I ordered 2 sets to try out. I'll let everyone know how they are.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-28-2021, 01:37 PM

I tried them on my Eastman Ac222 and I found them to have a bright brash tone in the d and g strings initially, especially noticeable with slide playing. They got better as they broke in. I put on Sunbeams 2 weeks ago and the clear balanced tone that I love was back. Not a bad string but I probably won't buy them again.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
For me going with low tension strings on a few of my guitars is more a matter of survival than sound. As a shop right down the road stocks GHS strings they ordered me in some sets of the Thin Cores. I tried them first on my '32 Gibson L1. I went with 11s though and the low end felt kinda floppy. Too much give. The 12s though fared better on my '42 J50.
I had something similar. Newtone Heritage low tension strings (12-51) on a 25.6 inch neck feel fine for me, but when i put a set on my 00 (25 inch neck) they definitely felt sloppy.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:34 PM

Default yup

Excellent for my "ol digits"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion