The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2021, 01:26 AM

Default yamaha red label fs5 vs Eastman Om

I'm mainly an electric player. I've been without an acoustic for a couple years since I sold my BTO Taylor which I never really bonded with. On a whim I bought a super cheap recording king parlor. which made me realize how much more I would play and write having an acoustic around. What do yall think between the Yamaha and Eastman. Or maybe other recommendations? Budget is under 1k used.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:28 AM

While neither is going to give you the full range depth and breadth of tone you'll get with a dreadnaught or jumbo model, both the Eastman and Yamaha will have pleasant tones and surprisingly good bass response. I've owned an Eastman E1OM and really didn't want to sell it, but a bandmate needed a good guitar and I made him a deal he couldn't refuse. So I hear the guitar all the time and can attest that it sounds good -- even though he's not a good player, the guitar sounds good. I recently picked up a Yamaha FSX730SC and can tell you that I mich prefer its tone over the Eastman. It has better low end. The neck is more familiar to me. I own many other Yamaha guitars and guess I just prefer their tone. Also, plugged in, the ART pickup sounds better than the Seymour Duncan Magmic in the Eastman.

If you prefer a thicker neck and are a fingerstyle player I'd say the Eastman would be a better fit. If you're a strummer and prefer a fast, thin neck go for the Yamaha.

Either guitar would be a good pick.

BTW, I own an FGX5 and it's terrific. However, I do have some intonation issues when using a capo, which seems to be a minor problem people sometimes have with the red labels.

Being an electric player, I bet a Yamaha AC3M would be a nice fit for you. Fantastic plugged in tone too. GC just lowered the price on a used Deluxe model they have. I own the Deluxe model. It's one of my favorites.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 10-28-2021 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:19 AM

I've played the FS5, very nice tone, nice neck, but less bass presence when strummed than the Eastman OM's I played, however compared to the hog b/s Eastman the tone was "richer" with the Yamaha IMO. Because I like bass, I'd be torn.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:22 AM

I’m curious about thoughts on this one too. Not to hijack the thread, but I’m curious if any of you have tried a Martin Road Series 000? Those are similar specs, with the short scale, and about the same price. Curious if about the bass presence they offer. I’ve preferred Martin and Yamaha necks to Eastman, but agree that the Eastmans I’ve played have usually been very nice. (I didn’t prefer an 00 of theirs I played, but I think that’s the size, not the maker.)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:51 AM

Default No help, for sure!

Welcome to AGF, strings12! I had a RW OM from Eastman that sounded great in a rich sort of way. I still have a mahog Eastman OM that is bright and articulate. Won't go wrong with Eastman.

OTOH, my two best guitars are top-end Yammies. I've not had the pleasure of playing an FS5 but they sure get good press!

I think for equivalent $, I'd go with Yamaha.

Good luck with your quest!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
buying advice