The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2021, 02:59 PM

Default Another possibility...

Just as an alternative theory: I have those marks on both of my long standing guitars, particular near the bass side tuners, but definitely both sides. I thought I had done it with the plastic string winder that I use. I did wonder how that was possible because it doesn't seem to reach the headstock. Now I am convinced those marks are from my left-hand fingernails just accumulating over the years, particularly given the angles of tuning on the top side of the headstock.

I didn't see them for the longest time because I wasn't paying attention. Just noting my own experience and raising a possible alternative explanation. It also seems unlikely that a luthier would make that kind of mistake, though inadvertent damage is always a possibility.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Damage

You are being very understanding about this. There is a BIG difference between "accidental " damage and " careless / incompetent / who cares " damage. Not acceptable on your guitar and a real shame for the next customers instrument.

I think you owe it to all future customers to make sure this individual is removed or severely scolded.

d
Old 10-25-2021, 03:15 PM

It's not a power winder vs hand winder problem - it's about the attachment that fits on the tuners.

There is basically 2 different attachments for power winders.

I will only use the shallow cup on the right - it does not come close to the sides of the headstock.

A full time luthier may be inclined to use the deeper, more versatile attachment as he/she works on a large variety of string instruments.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-25-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Just to be clear - Streetmaster is just a spray-on finish. There is no actual relicing, as in cracks, chips, dents, etc. in the wood. It’s not the “beat-up on purpose” look most imagine when thinking “relic.” Still, I get your point. Damage to this kind of faux relic finish isn’t as noticeable as it would be on a pristine gloss finish.
Yeah, i know it's just a paint job and not actually dinged, checked, beat up in the literal sense like other "relic" jobs, but the appearance is supposed to look haggard, so actual wear or damage shouldn't detract or distract.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:34 PM

There are way to many guitar tech's and luthiers that are in the wrong line of work. The worst I had was a guy in 90's that was a full on "luthier" in that he built stringed instruments and did repairs. He set up a newish minty taylor 814c and when I got it back it looked like some chickens had a great party on the spruce top behind the bridge.

It was obvious he was dropping tools on it unprotected. I never went back, but most my music buddies know about it. He still works out of Ridgway CO, but now there are better choices in Durango, Dave Farmer, of Turtle Creek Instruments is my go to luthier of choice.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:43 PM

I really appreciate all the replies. I’ve been waiting a couple days to go back into the shop because I don’t like to conduct business when I’m angry as I feel it clouds my judgement. Now that I’ve cooled off a bit, I do intend to go in and show them the damage and see how they respond. Obviously this is not something that is fixable as the wood is actually gouged. It’s cosmetic, but the fact is I brought in a mint guitar and it is now no longer mint. Their response will likely determine my next step, whether that’s a negative review online or just letting it go with an apology, I don’t know yet. The part is that this is a very reputable shop with dozens upon dozens of rave five star reviews, so even if I wanted to call them out online it would likely have a negligible effect.

I’m still not satisfied with the setup, which I imagine they’d offer to remedy at no charge under the circumstances. But given the damage they caused, I’m reticent to trust my instrument to them again, so the alternative is to take it elsewhere and pay… again… to try to achieve the setup I want.

What recompense might you expect from a guitar shop in this situation?

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-28-2021 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Please skip the profanity
Old 10-27-2021, 03:43 AM

What recompense?

I would expect a full refund.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaDave View Post
What recompense?

I would expect a full refund.
This ^^^^^ plus the proper set up and compensation for the damage they caused.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA Cajun View Post
Obviously this is not something that is fixable as the wood is actually gouged.
It is repairable. Drop-fill with the same or compatible finish, scrape level, and polish.

Ask them to fix it or pay you the equivalent cost.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
It is repairable. Drop-fill with the same or compatible finish, scrape level, and polish.

Ask them to fix it or pay you the equivalent cost.
Exactly right. I had a similar careless run-in with a power winder shown below. It cost me $125 to fix as described above. There is quite a bit of tech time involved, I think waiting between steps. As someone mentioned, power winders are not the problem. Careless operation is. However after thousands of string changes in my life, I’ve dinged my headstock exactly twice. Both times I was using a power winder.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 10-27-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

I’d wanna see a pic of it from 3’ away - you can make almost anything look like a big problem from 3” -
Old 10-28-2021, 09:08 AM

Is it possible that was part of the factory "aging" process?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-28-2021, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Is it possible that was part of the factory "aging" process?
This is true, some people pay to get that kind of wear!
Old 10-28-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
This is true, some people pay to get that kind of wear!
My brother-in-law was a builder in Bend OR for many years. There was a period when people were asking for the distressed look in a new home. After he installed very nice looking wood floors, he and his partner would walk around dropping their hammers on the floor. Seemed to make the customers happy.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA Cajun View Post
I really appreciate all the replies. I’ve been waiting a couple days to go back into the shop because I don’t like to conduct business when I’m angry as I feel it clouds my judgement. Now that I’ve cooled off a bit, I do intend to go in and show them the damage and see how they respond. Obviously this is not something that is fixable as the wood is actually gouged. It’s cosmetic, but the fact is I brought in a mint guitar and it is now no longer mint. Their response will likely determine my next step, whether that’s a negative review online or just letting it go with an apology, I don’t know yet. The part is that this is a very reputable shop with dozens upon dozens of rave five star reviews, so even if I wanted to call them out online it would likely have a negligible effect.

I’m still not satisfied with the setup, which I imagine they’d offer to remedy at no charge under the circumstances. But given the damage they caused, I’m reticent to trust my instrument to them again, so the alternative is to take it elsewhere and pay… again… to try to achieve the setup I want.

What recompense might you expect from a guitar shop in this situation?
Your guitar tech will appreciate you bringing up this issue with them first rather than disclosing their name on a forum (thank-you for not divulging the name at this point). They may not even be aware of what happened.

Ask if they used a string winder and test the fit. Does it fit the mark? If yes then perhaps they will try to make it right with you somehow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion