The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-16-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Fender Noventa Strat?

Have any of you had a chance to try these out? I am a huge P90 fan and generally find them to be about the perfect pickup. The Noventa series is made in Mexico and they generally run in the $1k range.

I played one today and I had a hard time putting it down. Fit and finish were very good, and it had great tone. I know it may sound sacrilegious for the strat folks, but I am seriously considering selling my Am Pro strat and picking one of these up instead. I just really loved the tones I was pulling out of it.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

I haven't, but I've played a lot of P90 guitars, including teles. Currently, I have a Robert Cray hardtail strat and an Epiphone SG with P90s. I play the strat about 90% of the time, but P90s are seductive, and there are times that nothing BUT P90s will do. I wouldn't sell my main strat, but I'd try to add a P90 axe. I honestly think Gibson type solid bodies with P90s sound better than Fender's attempts with them. You might think about checking out an SG or Les Paul with P90s - Epiphone makes both and sells them for around $400. A Strat with P90s isn't a strat, but a Les Paul or SG with P90s is still a Les Paul or SG. And for some reason, I think they sound better in a Gibson type of guitar...

-Ray
Old 10-16-2021, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I haven't, but I've played a lot of P90 guitars, including teles. Currently, I have a Robert Cray hardtail strat and an Epiphone SG with P90s. I play the strat about 90% of the time, but P90s are seductive, and there are times that nothing BUT P90s will do. I wouldn't sell my main strat, but I'd try to add a P90 axe. I honestly think Gibson type solid bodies with P90s sound better than Fender's attempts with them. You might think about checking out an SG or Les Paul with P90s - Epiphone makes both and sells them for around $400. A Strat with P90s isn't a strat, but a Les Paul or SG with P90s is still a Les Paul or SG. And for some reason, I think they sound better in a Gibson type of guitar...

-Ray
I already own an Epi IBG LP Special (TV Yellow) and an IBG Epi SG Worn, both with P90s. Honestly, I think the Noventa is better. It has the thickness of P90s but not quite as thick as the LP Special. It's hard to describe, but from my perspective the Noventa really nails it.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I already own an Epi IBG LP Special (TV Yellow) and an IBG Epi SG Worn, both with P90s. Honestly, I think the Noventa is better. It has the thickness of P90s but not quite as thick as the LP Special. It's hard to describe, but from my perspective the Noventa really nails it.
Well, then go for it. I'd just be careful about selling your only actual strat (is that Am Pro your only one?) - there's nothing like a strat. If you have a bunch of P90 guitars, one of those might be redundant....

In any case, enjoy the Noventa...

-Ray
Old 10-16-2021, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Well, then go for it. I'd just be careful about selling your only actual strat (is that Am Pro your only one?) - there's nothing like a strat. If you have a bunch of P90 guitars, one of those might be redundant....

In any case, enjoy the Noventa...

-Ray
Yeah, I'm not sure I would sell my strat. I would probably just keep it.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:57 PM

I really like the look and sounds of the Noventa tele. This seems like a really interesting line.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

https://youtu.be/I43latZz9CQ

A nice overview here and some playing on both the strat and tele.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:03 AM

I'm having a difficult time just wrapping my head around the idea of paying $1,000 for a Mexican-made Strat.

I remember when they were $349...
Old 10-21-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
I'm having a difficult time just wrapping my head around the idea of paying $1,000 for a Mexican-made Strat.

I remember when they were $349...
Yeah, I can remember when a lot of things were cheaper! [emoji1787]

I guess the MIM stuff has just increased in price. The American stuff has too I suppose. The big thing for me is that it ticks a lot of boxes for me in terms of what I want a strat to be. The one turn off is the truss rod adjustment. I much prefer a headstock adjustment versus taking the neck off. Aside from that, the specs are great.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:06 PM

The price is definitely a big consideration. I wonder if we will see a time coming when the Mexican line disappears because the cost gets too close to the US line.

Also, I am a bit scared of the Mexican line quality. In 2018, we bought a green mustang offset for my youngest son's Christmas present. It turned out to not be a great guitar at all - developed bad cracks in the finish around the body/neck joint, the neck was constantly moving and shrinking (lots of fret sprout over and over again and many truss rod adjustments), tuners were junk, the jack was terrible from day one - it was almost unplayable - we immediately replaced the jack since I can do a lot of my own work. After doing some work on it, we sold it off because it just wasn't a very good guitar and my son sort of outgrew it. I have read other posts about the offset series suffering a lot of neck/body joint finish cracks. My older son had a Squier red bullet strat (bottom of the line) that was a better guitar.

My older son has three electric basses (he is quite good and also great on the upright) His first electric was a Squier jazz bass - a 2007 model I believe. He still has it and it plays well - sounds pretty good for what it is. We had to do some wiring repair in it - but nothing too unusual or unexpected. He has a Fender Mexican 5 sting jazz bass that has had issues with fret sprout and the neck moves around on that one too. We had to replace the jack and some of the pots on that one. Finally, his main electric is an American Elite jazz bass which has been great! I had no issues at all with my American Standard Strat for the years I had it.

After these experiences, I am a little fearful of the Mexican line (especially the green mustang was junk) and as much as I think the one pickup Noventa tele looks neat - I don't need it and with my history with the Mexican line - I seriously doubt I will buy one. And it is pretty expensive for what it is - you are well on your way to an American guitar with that price - admittedly without P90s though. If I buy a Fender, It would probably be an American Professional Tele. I hate to admit it, but my experience is that the Squier line exhibits better quality than the Mexican line.

Maybe my experiences with the Mexican made Fenders are unique. I will be curious how yours goes if/when you get it. I would check it out very carefully.

Last edited by TiffanyGuitar; 10-21-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I would definitely look it over well if I decide to get one. Since I already have a LP Special with Duncan Antiquities, I would probably try to compare them first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars