The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-07-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
A few things have worked for me:

1. Acoustic music organizations - I'm in a local bluegrass club, a folk music club and an old time Fiddler's club. I've met a lot of musicians and made many friends in these.

2. Bluegrass festivals - are really all about jamming. It's kind of like speed dating. Join a jam, see how it works, stay or move on.

3. Open mics - suck in so many ways. But I've made some friends and developed some fun musical partnerships doing and hosting these.

4. Local musicians classifieds on Facebook. Recently met a very talented songwriter through mine. We had a great time getting together to pick a little while back. Relationship could definitely be going somewhere.
The folks I play with I met through the first 3 items of this list. I joined an acoustic society quite some time back and soon had several folks with whom to play.

Good luck.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 08-07-2021, 09:32 AM

My experience is that 75% of the people who respond to CL ads don't actually read the whole ad.
My ads have said 'include a link to your music online - youtube, etc' and get that about 1/4 of the time. And I've discovered that even when the person sounds legit (but doesn't have any online links), I should not waste my time.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-07-2021, 12:11 PM

An acoustic guitar band I was in tested our setlist at open mic nights. Usually at the end of the night after everone else had played. Some players wanted to join us not realizing we were already set and just giving it a dry run. I learned the word open mic aholic at these test drives. One guy was a regular at the local places and played several nights a week.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-08-2021, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
An acoustic guitar band I was in tested our setlist at open mic nights. Usually at the end of the night after everone else had played. Some players wanted to join us not realizing we were already set and just giving it a dry run. I learned the word open mic aholic at these test drives. One guy was a regular at the local places and played several nights a week.
I don't have the band anymore, too noisy. Hoping to get a little acoustic duo traction by attending some open mics. Nothing beats seeing and hearing people play, as opposed to misinterpreting ads, ignoring specifics and hoping it might magically work out anyway.

Edit added: ----------------------

BTW, I just heard back from the non-singing, 3-chord, 3-song troubadour who inspired this thread by responding to my CL ad (I was looking very specifically for another singing guitarist for an acoustic duo).

A couple days after our dismal get-together, he emailed that it was "nice meeting," and he wants to work on his guitar chops so he can have an acoustic duo (but still not sing).

I was tempted to send a short "Dear John Letter" to thank him for wasting my time and repeatedly insulting my generation/taste in music. But my wife helped me take the high road. I told him, "Thanks for the email, good luck to you."

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-11-2021 at 10:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic