The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 04:29 PM

Default Can humidity in the 65-70% damage a guitar if exposed for a few days?

Here in Mexico City we are having humidity of 65-70% only for a few days. Can it damage my Martin guitars if the are stored in their cases and this humidity only lasts about a week long?. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2020, 05:06 PM

I would say it could damage your guitar in some way but if you keep it in the case I would say it’s... fine
Old 09-19-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

No expert here but if that range of humidity is damaging, well guess I am screwed. Thats what inside reading is currently in my home in NC...I would think that very prolonged exposure....ie months might become a problem but not a few days or weeks...its the extreams that hurt guitars and sudden changes. That being said, I would not leave my guitar next to any direct heat or cooling elements for prolonged periods, nor leave it in a hot or freezing car. I will let the experts chime in.....Play On!
Old 09-19-2020, 05:17 PM

nope...nbd
Old 09-19-2020, 05:20 PM

When I put an Oasis humidifier into the soundhole then the humidity inside the body goes up to that range. I usually humidify for more than 6 months per year and have not noticed damage, but action on some guitars can grow a little.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:21 PM

Get a hygrometer, inside humidity is what is important. Do you have AC, that will take quite a bit of humidity out of the air. Regardless, if you have acoustic guitars, you should own a hygrometer...

Fender CD280S NAT
Recording King RO-127
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Fender American FrankenTele
Old 09-19-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I don't think that my guitars have been below 65% RH since April.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:42 PM

What, there are no other guitars in Mexico City?

I live in North Georgia and I don't run my AC all that often. Right now my meter is showing 70%. It's pretty much between 60 and 70% all summer long when the AC is not running. Your guitars will be fine even if you decided to stay in Mexico City.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

In short, no. That humidity will not damage your instruments if they are in their cases and it only lasts a week. You may see a change in the action if the soundboard swells enough to raise the bridge and the guitar might not sound as good (specifically, it may have more muffled tone), but there won't be any damage.

If this becomes a regular thing, then it's probably worth looking into some of those de-humidifiers for the inside of your cases. And probably worth grabbing some cases that do a lot to mitigate environmental changes (aka carbon fiber or plastic, and not wood).
Old 09-19-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
What, there are no other guitars in Mexico City?

I live in North Georgia and I don't run my AC all that often. Right now my meter is showing 70%. It's pretty much between 60 and 70% all summer long when the AC is not running. Your guitars will be fine even if you decided to stay in Mexico City.
What he said. I live in Savannah and have about the same humidity. Never has damaged my guitars. Might make them sound a bit like a sock stuck in them sometimes but that’s all.On those days I run a dehumidifier which takes it down enough.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Well my guitars are my tools as a full-time musician and they are exposed to that humidity and higher at times for years here on the Florida coast and they are fine... I would not worry about it unless it gets in the 80-90% for extensive period of time. I play in 100% humidity sometimes for several days a week, on river cruises and have on big ship cruises, then I bring 'em home and they dry out a bit and as they re-acclimate to the 55-65% in my home. So I think from my experience you'll be ok at 60 to 70% for a few days.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaz View Post
I would say it could damage your guitar in some way but if you keep it in the case I would say it’s... fine
....what??
Old 09-19-2020, 09:19 PM

Your guitar started life as a tree. Trees do fine in all kinds of humidity.

No worries!
Old 09-19-2020, 10:03 PM

Your tone will suffer until it dries out again but your guitar will survive just fine.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rov View Post
Here in Mexico City we are having humidity of 65-70% only for a few days. Can it damage my Martin guitars if the are stored in their cases and this humidity only lasts about a week long?. Thanks!
Humidity outside where I am is 74% right now. AC is NOT on and my acoustic guitars are comfy in their SKB hard cases at 55% with no de-humidification going on in the case or the house.

Granted, I would likely take some measures to de-humidify the guitars if the humidity climbs much higher, but it is not expected to...

I use Oasis humidifiers during the dry times of the year and either D’Addario Planet Waves OR Boveda humidipaks in the wet times. There is a period in between where you don’t need anything. Thing is, you need a hygrometer to figure that out...

Fender CD280S NAT
Recording King RO-127
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Fender American FrankenTele

Last edited by bobio; 09-19-2020 at 10:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion