The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
One of my favorites in that price range is the Yamaha FG800. As you may know the FG series sound better than they should for that price.
+1 on the Yamaha FG800. Another option is to find that used Seagull, or Simon & Patrick.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Wanted to add that I played a guitar just the other day, a new Teton, and I was thoroughly impressed... I'd played a few Tetons in the past and they've been "meh", so I wasn't expecting much...

This was a solid cedar top w/ laminate mahogany b/s... and the thing was absolutely stellar sounding! Finish work looked great, although the edges of the fretwire were a bit uneven... but the thing is $400! Played it next to a Collings slope-shoulder dreadnought AJ-ish body size - and although the Teton was more of a Grand Auditorium size, there really was no comparison in the volume out of those boxes... the Teton KILLED it over that Collings...

I don't know what they're doing to these guitars to have them be so loud and so responsive, right out of the gate, but they're definitely worth a look-see if you're in the market for a less expensive instrument!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-19-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Check out the Breedlove Discovery Series Concert models... right around $300, solid tops, very nice little guitars for not a lot of money!
Better yet, a Breedlove Pursuit Concert.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:04 PM

Good advice on the nut width. I had a seagull mini-jumbo that had a narrower nut that bothered me a bit. Still, for mostly strumming I think it would be okay. The Alvarez advanced jumbo looks fun, but I can't find the lower bout size. I'd love an actual jumbo, but that is a shoulder-breaker for me. Yamaha also has the FS series, smaller than I maybe want tho. The Yamaha dreads are a bit larger than may be comfortable.

In fact, if I may rant a little, there are several brands that I can't find specs on - Takamine, Alavarez, and Epiphone. I've even emailed Takamine and Epiphone, but no response.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
Obvious question and not meant to offend: have you searched the forum for similar older threads?

I have a terrible time with the search feature using my iPhone. Maybe it would be better on the desktop
Old 09-19-2020, 11:29 PM

I would recommend the Yamaha FG/FS 800 series. I've been looking for a second guitar but I want mine to be more mid-ranged but in my search for a quality instrument, the Yamaha 800 series is said to punch above it's price range in terms of quality.
I also would recommend the Epiphone AJ220. When I got my EJ200 it literally came down to cosmetics between the EJ and the AJ. The AJ is pretty nice guitar also, like a very cheap J45 lol
Old 09-20-2020, 01:58 AM

I second the pawnshop recommendation from an above post.

The majority of my guitar/bass collection has come from pawnshops.

I found an acoustic at a local pawnshop that fits right into your $200-$300 budget.

I found an '81 Yamaha FG-365SII with an almost brand new Gator Go Pro Ultimate Padded case($165 value) for $200.

This is a guitar with an amazing tone,and worth way more than the $200 I paid.

OP, I'd hit as many pawnshops in your area as you can.

You have the opportunity to score a way better used acoustic than your budget.

Here's a few pics of my Yamaha FG-365SII

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 10-17-2020, 01:04 PM

I thought I'd follow up and let you know what I ended up with. And the winner is: a Yamaha FS800. I tried a couple of dreadnoughts, including the recommended Ibanez AW54, but dreds are just too big for me, as much as I like the sound. Wouldn't be fun to play. The FS800 fits nicely, and sounds pretty good. Maybe better than a small-body Guild I had several years ago, at three times the price. Got the sandburst, and it's nice-looking too. Needs slightly heavier strings for DADGAD. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:10 PM

The FS800 is a fine budget guitar. I briefly tried an FS800 and returned it for an FSX830C. I like the rosewood back and sides better and think there is just a skosh more tone. I have since put on a bone saddle and Santa Cruz parabolic low tension strings, and that was a real bump up in sustain and playability. You might want to put a bone saddle on it. I decided not to change out the nut because the saddle would give me more benefit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion