The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Check out the Breedlove Discovery Series Concert models... right around $300, solid tops, very nice little guitars for not a lot of money!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
I have searched. Some threads are older, recommending models no longer available. Also I'm hoping to get folks that have played those listed above. Yamaha getting lots of love. If I ever get to a GC or other store again, I'll try these.

I'm currently playing a Larrivee L-03R. Sounds great, in both standard and DADGAD. However, going back to standard seems to take a bit out of the strings. Plus, who DOESN'T need a second guitar.
Cool. I'll add to the Yamaha love. I used to own an FG830 and it was wonderful and wonderfully affordable. I've been trying to convince myself not to buy a Yamaha FS something since there are quite a few available (used) currently at GC, but I don't need one. There's an FS800 available for $140 now. I don't think I can go wrong, but I'll resist.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2020, 11:02 AM

I'd just watch for a used S-6; I keep mine mostly in DADGAD and it's stellar.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-17-2020, 11:17 AM

Hum ! A second guitar kept in DADGAD for 200-300$

Why not a USED Alvarez, Seagull or Eastman ?
Old 09-17-2020, 11:29 AM

Another vote for used. You can get Seagull S6s in your price range pretty readily. I have one, and it's really a good guitar, not just "for the money".

Since my "daily driver" is a Martin 00-28, that's pretty high praise, considering that I literally paid 10x as much for the Martin as I did for the used Seagull. And the Martin is outstanding.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:20 PM

Some more good suggestions, thanks.

What is the difference between the Yamaha 800, 820, and 830? It's not obvious from the basic specs, so I'm guessing different levels of bling? I also heard the FS800 on YouTube, and it sounds pretty good, even in the low end, for something that is such a small guitar (under 15" at lower bout.)

I've been keeping an eye on the local CL for a used Seagull, either S-6 or mini-jumbo entourage. I'll expand my search image to include others. Or, I'll have saved up enough for new.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Some more good suggestions, thanks.

What is the difference between the Yamaha 800, 820, and 830? It's not obvious from the basic specs, so I'm guessing different levels of bling? I also heard the FS800 on YouTube, and it sounds pretty good, even in the low end, for something that is such a small guitar (under 15" at lower bout.)

I've been keeping an eye on the local CL for a used Seagull, either S-6 or mini-jumbo entourage. I'll expand my search image to include others. Or, I'll have saved up enough for new.
Different woods, bling..

Also, since starting back in January of this year, the FG/FS800 has cheaped out some over the 820/830 series. I’ve previously posted the differences and the reasoning behind this (my opinion) here multiple times.

Basically the 2020 FG/FS800s dropped the use of rosewood fretboard and bridge for the cheaper and softer dyed Walnut. Also the finish was not to the usual standards one the new one that I seen last week. Not sure if this is the new norm or not. It may be one that just slipped by QC. I will keep an eye out for later runs

As for the 820/830, besides having different back and sides, they do have different degrees of bling.

Also, I know others will disagree, but I can certainly hear the difference between the 820 (Mahogany) and 830 (Rosewood) models, especially in the FS line. So you may prefer one more than the other. Btw, I find the 820s are usually a little more boomy/louder.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
+1 for the PCH guitars.
... it has a relatively chunky neck (I don't like thin necked guitars).
+1 more

PCH1-OM

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/pch1_om

Neck Material:Maple
Fingerboard:Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius:12"
Neck Profile:Traditional Even "C"
Nut:Bone 1 3/4"
Fretwire:20 Jescar-FW43080
Scale Length:24.9"
Body Dimensions:15" x 4 1/4" x 4"
Bracings:X-Braced
Body Top:Solid Sitka Spruce
Body Back/Sides:Laminated Sapele
Bridge/Saddle:Rosewood/Bone, 2 5/32" Spacing
Rosette:Abalone
Truss Rodual Acting
Binding:Top and Back
Binding Material:Black Plastic
Logo:Maple Headstock
Inlay:Pearl Dots
Side Dot Color:White
Bridge Pins:White Plastic w/black dots
Body Top Finish:Open Pore
Neck/Headstock Finish:Open Pore
Hardware Color:Nickel
Pickguard:Optional Plack Teardrop
Tuners:Ping RM 1171
Electronics:None
Strings'Addario .012-.053 #EXP16
Action Height:12th fret 3/32" on the bass side and 2/32" on the treble side
Case:None
Truss Rod Wrench:4mm
Old 09-18-2020, 05:29 PM

There's a semi local store with the Eastman PCH1, including a grand auditorium. I see a masked road trip in my future...
Old 09-18-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
There's a semi local store with the Eastman PCH1, including a grand auditorium. I see a masked road trip in my future...
Eastman guitars and mandolins are definitely worth checking out.

While a new Seagull guitar might be more expensive than your budget will allow, I see them for sale as used guitars on Craigslist fairly frequently. I've bought several off Craigslist that way, and have never spent more than $300 on one. In fact, I think I've never paid more than $275.

So keep an eye peeled for one of those. My strong preference among the various Seagull and Simon & Patrick guitars (both made by Godin) is for their guitars with solid cedar tops and laminated cherry backs and sides. Those hit a tonal sweet spot for me that none of the spruce-topped Seagulls and Simon & Patricks have.

I suspect it's because the cedar tops just sound fully broken in when the guitars are still brand new. They're NOT fully broken in yet, and will continue to develop richer tonality the more you play the guitar, but they are ready to go and rich-sounding from the very start.

Here are some Seagull Folk models, followed by a picture of the various other body sizes that both Seagull and Simon & Patrick (S&P) guitars use:

Seagull Folk Models

Various Seagull models

Two other models you should consider if you can find them are the Concert Hall and the Mini Jumbo (MJ) models shown.

I've played all of those various Seagull and S&P body shapes in stores and have owned all of them at one time or another except for the MJ. The Concert Hall is Seagull/S&P's version of an OM, which is a very versatile midsized guitar design. I've used OM's onstage for years because they're so tonally balanced that they mic like a dream.

In all of the Seagull/S&P body styles shown above, for me the tonal champions are still the solid cedar/laminated cherry versions, which are also typically the least expensive of the guitars that the Godin company makes. But they sound terrific.

One thing about those cedar tops that you should be aware of going in is that because cedar is softer, it's more easily scratched than spruce. So if you really dislike scratches on any kind of guitar, new or used, it's fairly pointless for you to buy a cedar-topped instrument.

Because they can scratch if you give them a hard look.

So I recommend using harsh language on them instead....

Seriously, if you haven't already made a decision about which guitar you want to get, keep an eye out for cedar topped Seagulls and Simon and Patrick guitars.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-18-2020, 06:36 PM

To my ears DADGAD only sounds right on a jumbo - you want the low-end support you're only going to get from a large body; I say borrow a few extra bucks or juggle your budget if you can, and spring for this:

https://www.midlothianmusic.com/products/alvarez-aj60s
Old 09-19-2020, 03:22 AM
Charter Member

My cheap beater is a Dean Exotica DAO. Sounds pretty good for a $500 guitar. And not so expensive that I can take it anywhere without worry.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:46 AM

I really like slightly used guitars in this price range. They look virtually new and there is a considerable savings, allowing a lot more bang for your buck.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-19-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
+1 for the PCH guitars.

I have a PCH1-OM, which is OM sized. I bought it because I wanted a lower end guitar (but not a piece of firewood) that I could keep on the stand, that it wouldn't be a big bother to me if my naughty/curious cat messed with it. It's great playing and sounds fantastic. So much so, that I could see gigging with it. My price out the door for it was $250 - pretty good IMO for a guitar with a solid top, and unlike the Yamahas, Orangewoods, etc. it has a relatively chunky neck (I don't like thin necked guitars).
Ditto for me. I bought one earlier this year for a campfire/boat guitar. It's surprisingly fun to play. Tonally it reminds me of something more like a rootsy/bluesy/Silvertone-esque sort of thing, a bit fundamental sounding. Which is cool for me because I didn't have a guitar with that kind of voice, and in fact I'd record with this if I wanted that kind of sound. If you're looking for chimey ringing overtones and prettiness you might look elsewhere.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:10 AM

There will be a number of decent guitars available in that price range, but you should pay attention to nut width when you're checking them out. The guitar you have right now has a 1.75 inch nut width. Eastman and most Alvarez guitars will keep you there. The Yamahas, and most other guitars in that price range, will take you down to 1.69. I don't know if that makes a difference to you, but it does to me so I thought I would put that on your radar screen.

I currently have a Yamaha FSX700SC and I love it, but I certainly feel the difference when I pick it up after playing my Martin.

I'm in a similar shopping mode right now, and I'm anxious to check out the Eastman PCH1-D and the Alvarez AD30 as soon as someone has them in stock locally. I've played the Seagull S6 a bit, and I'm quite impressed with it (nut width 1.8) Your preferences, of course, might be different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion