The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Default tuners for Taylor Academy

There was a thread recently about changing tuner buttons. I thought that is something the Academy needs. I asked Taylor about buttons but they didnt know of any. They did say that the tuners they use are made for them specifically for Taylor Guitars. The company is called Hanchang. They also manufacture for Grover. Just trying to contribute to our fund of knowledge. There may be people on this forum that have an Academy and would want to know.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 AM

I have an Academy 12e and I can't for the life of me think why it would be worth it to change the buttons or the tuners.

They work really well, they look good, and the guitar stays in tune really well.

This is just an aesthetic thing?

I haven't even looked at how the buttons attach.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM

The Academy series is the lower end of Taylor’s line. Replacing functioning tuners will add no value to the guitar.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 09-17-2019, 02:14 PM

I wasnt thinking of changing the tuners, just the the buttons cause I dont like metal buttons and so have not had metal buttons for many years.
If you want to talk functionality, a guitar is a head heavy instrument but putting wood or plastic buttons on will lighten the headstock noticeably so it doesnt have as much tendency to dive.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:17 AM

I haven't noticed any tendency at all for my guitar to neck dive.

I play with a strap all the time though, even when sitting, so there is that.

But I don't think I've ever played a Taylor that seemed neck heavy or had neck dive, and I've played a great deal of them. I live < 5 miles from a flagship dealer & have visited the factor and played all kinds of Taylor there for about 3 hours one day. And I've never used a strap with a guitar I was demoing that didn't belong to me.

It's your guitar though, you can do whatever you want. To me plastic or wood buttons would seem like a downgrade, but that's just my preference, I like the look of metal.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I wasnt thinking of changing the tuners, just the the buttons cause I dont like metal buttons and so have not had metal buttons for many years.
Assuming these are Ping minis like most Taylors with mini tuners. Can't be done. Nobody makes replacement buttons that fit correctly.

For full size Pings you can get buttons from Charis.

Cheapest option is to change the tuners to Schallers or Gotohs.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-19-2019, 02:36 PM

Taylor told me they were made by Hanchang and didnt say Ping so Im assuming they are not Ping's. Also they look different to me so changing the machines seems to be the only way and I am averse to do this on an inexpensive guitar.
Thanks all and I hope this has helped some Academy owners out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion