The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2019, 05:07 AM

On the question of noticing tuners and pins. I notice tuners, in the same nerdy way that I read car registration plates. It's a habit bordering on compulsion.

Pins is a new one though. It has never occurred to me to study those. Until now....
Old 04-26-2019, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

I have to say, even though I’m a gear head, I never pay attention to details like that when I’m watching a performance. If I’m in a very small venue, I probably will check out the guitar, but not the appointments.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
I'd say it's a 000.

a) Martin don't make an OM-18
b) it has the larger pickguard of the 000
When Martin first started making OM's in the very early 1930's, they did make OM-18's. I've played a couple of them.

But I suspect that the guitar in question is a 000-18.

whm
Old 04-26-2019, 05:42 AM

After Knives & Guitars wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
So while we are on the subject mater, I do have a small favor to ask you Wade. I know you have Schertler open back tuners on at least one guitar if I am correct? Would you be kind enough to check and see if Gotoh buttons fit on the shaft? Schertler seem to be the only reasonably priced open back tuners that have interchangeable buttons. I have been very curious about this.[/INDENT]
I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Uh, okay. I'll check. I'll be surprised if they are interchangeable, but stranger things have happened. I've got buttons for Schaller and Grover tuners, too, and can take the button off a Seagull Ping tuner and check that, as well, while I'm at it.
Okay, I pulled out my box of tuners, got some aftermarket Gotoh tuner buttons handy, and took a small Phillipshead screwdriver to unscrew the screw holding on the tuner button on a Schertler tuner.

This was the only image I found online that shows the screw in question even halfway well:

Schertler tuners

So I sat down to loosen the screw, then remove it so I could test a Gotoh tuner button on it, only to discover that it would not budge.

At all.

I gave it the old college try but stopped when I realized that the screw would get stripped out if I persisted. As it is, I'll always be able to tell which tuner from the set was the one that I tried to take apart, as I did start to distort the slots a bit.

I've loosened plenty of stiff screws that didn't want to be loosened, but this went beyond that. I'm convinced that the screw was cemented into place when the tuner was put together, and that it was there as a construction method to assemble the tuner but wasn't intended to ever be removed so the buttons could be swapped out.

Perhaps a guitar repairman would be able to coax the screw out of there and change the tuner buttons, but I didn't want to risk it, frankly.

So I'm sorry I can't tell you whether a Gotoh button will fit on a Schertler tuner's shaft, but I think I did determine that the Schertlers aren't intended for that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-26-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I have to say, even though I’m a gear head, I never pay attention to details like that when I’m watching a performance. If I’m in a very small venue, I probably will check out the guitar, but not the appointments.
I generally don't either, but so many folks on this and every other acoustic guitar forum write posts about installing new bridgepins to dress their guitars up a little bit, and I can't recall ever noticing that on somebody else's guitar. I mean, I have when other folks have made a point of saying:

"Look at the new (your choice of exotic bridgepin material here) bridgepins I just installed!"

but I never notice them otherwise.

whm
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

''What do you think?''

Well if that other guy wasn't making so darn much noise on the mandoline, I'd be sure it's an OM. But since that guy's hogging the mic, I'm just guessing!

Last edited by lowrider; 04-26-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:07 AM

Yeah, those pesky mandolin guys! They're kind of like the yellow jackets buzzing around your head when you're trying to enjoy a nice summertime picnic!

whm
Old 04-26-2019, 06:07 AM

I'm about as interested in some guy's bridge pins as I am in what brand of tyres he has on his car. In other words, not in the least.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:13 AM

I don't !
Looking dor the brand on the headstock when the model/sound catch my eyes/ears though.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:43 AM

I notice sometimes, especially if it's a guitar brand with which I'm otherwise unfamiliar, or a small shop builder known for changing things. I'm not likely to look if it's a common brand.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:51 AM

I am what George Gruhn refers to as a utility-tool user. So no I don't really pay much attention to that stuff.

hunter
Old 04-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
I'd say it's a 000.

a) Martin don't make an OM-18
b) it has the larger pickguard of the 000

Well, Martin does still make plenty of OM-18s, and many of them have 000-style pick guards. But Gordy often uses a 1940s 000-18, so I’m guessing that’s what he’s playing in the video.

To answer the OP, I don’t think I’ve ever noticed another player’s tuners or bridge pins.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Not when someone is playing. But if someone is sitting and holding their guitar, I might look more closely at the inlays or the head stock. I don't think that I ever really notice bridge pins but if the tuner buttons are unusual, I might take a closer look.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-26-2019, 09:21 AM

it never occurs to me to look at stuff like bridge pins and tuners, I'm usually caught up in the performance

TBH I could'nt even tell you whats on my own instruments without looking
Old 04-26-2019, 09:29 AM

I absolutely look at those things as well as the name on headstock. I also notice the amp (if there is one). Occasionally I'll notice wardrobe too but I'm there for the music and so whatever is creating the sound is what I focus on. And focus I do (though not so much as to detract from the show).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion