The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Taming a Recalcitrant Electric Guitar

I recently had a run-in with one of my guitars, which seemed a bit unruly and headstong to say the least. I frittered around to find a way to rein the silly thing in until I remembered a lesson I had learned with the Telecaster when I first started using it. You can learn my lesson with me over HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-02-2019, 07:19 PM

Interesting discussions and findings, Bob. Your articles alerted me to the fact of my renewed interest in playing electric at home has come about in conjunction with having the volume control on the guitars rolled back, often close to 50%. Tone on the guitars is reduced probably 80% most of the time. Having the volume full on seemed to result in a “flat out” or “flat” output with no extra power available in reserve. I’ll have to investigate further. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:26 PM

Glad you got 'er tamed, Bob. That baby is a beauty.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:43 PM

I've found the case to be that the amp and/or effects chain is as much to blame. But then again, some guitars are of just more responsive to changes in controls.

In my experience, the way my Weddington or even my Pacifica respond to changes in pickup selector positions and tone knob adjustments is much more noticeable when running through a tube amp.

On the other hand, my Revstar's tone immediately changes with the slightest change of volume knob, tone knob, and/or pickup selector, regardless of what it is plugged into.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Interesting discussions and findings, Bob. Your articles alerted me to the fact of my renewed interest in playing electric at home has come about in conjunction with having the volume control on the guitars rolled back, often close to 50%. Tone on the guitars is reduced probably 80% most of the time. Having the volume full on seemed to result in a “flat out” or “flat” output with no extra power available in reserve. I’ll have to investigate further. Thanks for the reminder.
It's funny how you can not think twice about pulling back the volume on one guitar because "that's just the way you play it" but another comes in and you can forget all that. I really don't think twice about throttling back the ES-335, Tele, or the older Les Paul I have but forgot it entirely about the new guitar. I wonder if guys go through this and never get around to pulling back the volume to see if it will tame things and instead just end up flipping the guitar and looking for another.

Bob

Old 11-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Glad you got 'er tamed, Bob. That baby is a beauty.
Thank you kindly!

Bob

Old 11-03-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I recently had a run-in with one of my guitars, which seemed a bit unruly and headstrong to say the least...
This'll straighten it out in a hurry:

Old 11-03-2019, 06:15 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hah! No joke.

Bob

Old 11-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
This'll straighten it out in a hurry:

I find that knotting the strings makes it harder when it comes time to change them.

If you use the Elixir strings on one of these, they fray and get all messy just when you are getting into it.

Also, in the old days we used flat-wound strings on these, which was a mellower, more punchy sound or scream, or something.

Thank you laddies and gents, you've been a fine audience. Be sure to tip your waiter....

Now back to Bob's observation. There are players whose practice is to either pair the guitar to the "appropriate" amp or that are always moving the amp settings when they plug in a different guitar. Modern modeling makes that practice somewhat easier (a pre-set for everything!).

Maybe it comes from playing acoustic guitar first, but, like Bob outlines I tend to keep the amp as is, and adjust playing technique and knobs to get the sound I'm looking for. The typical Gibson 4-knob scheme has it's advantages in "mixing" pickups, but the typical Fender "right where your right hand finger can grab them" control location is great for some other things.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars