The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-12-2017, 01:13 AM

Default $125 for a pickup. Which do you all think?

I'm putting a pickup in my Guild and I'm trying to cover all of my options. I'd like to keep the expense below $125. Used is fine, new is better. I'd really like a dual source as I have experience with a number of, mostly dual source, pickups:

Baggs Dual Source (element & mic)
Baggs Anthem
Baggs M80
Fishman Ellipse VT with PUTW quackbuster inline with UST.
Fishman Ellipse VT with JJB dual disk inline with ust

I enjoy all of the above systems, barely preferring the Baggs M80 and thinking of trying the quakbuster or other thin film sbt as the intriguing option of the movie ment.

Problem Is that these are all out of my budget at the moment. What I did find was a Dtar multi source (mic&ust) $125 new or a B-band X2.2 (dual source sbt & ust) $69 new for on China. Also found a Duncan SA6 used for $135.

Looked at the Schertler Magnetico but it's more $ and I'm not sure what to expect for on it.

Any ideas?

TIA
Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 AM

The DTar looks an option. I'd avoid China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 04-12-2017, 05:55 AM

What is the general use you have in mind? In a band? By yourself as a solo act?
Consider the Baggs I-Beam as well. Excellent pickup. Very Natural sounding and a new one can be had for $150, maybe a little less.
I was pleasantly surprised by the I-Beam. My other three guitars have the Anthem SL, which I like a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32q3a5S1lx0

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 04-12-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 AM

For $125, you can probably get an Anthem SL used. Solid choice.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 04-12-2017, 06:59 AM

DTar Multisouce is a really good pickup. If you're comfortable with USTs, it's the way to go on a budget, or otherwise. I think they ship with the Baggs element as the pickup. I paired it with a K&K with good results.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:37 AM

Do not buy B-Bands from China, they are many times forgeries, and any B-Band bought from Chinese sellers on ebay and others are not covered by B-Bands warranty. Check with B-Band for info. I was burned by a Chinese B-Band seller and so was forum member Midwinter. B-Band XOM systems are great pickups so buy the real deal from a licensed seller if your interested in one.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
What is the general use you have in mind? In a band? By yourself as a solo act?
Consider the Baggs I-Beam as well. Excellent pickup. Very Natural sounding and a new one can be had for $150, maybe a little less.
I was pleasantly surprised by the I-Beam. My other three guitars have the Anthem SL, which I like a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32q3a5S1lx0
I have had the exact opposite experience with the iBeam. It came installed in a new Martin custom D18. I struggled trying to get a decent sound out of it and finally gave up and replaced it with a JJB 330. They say that you have to get the placement just right with the iBeam ... perhaps that was the issue.

I would go with the K&K pure mini or the JJB 330 as half of your solution. I know nothing about the microphone side of things.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
I have had the exact opposite experience with the iBeam. It came installed in a new Martin custom D18. I struggled trying to get a decent sound out of it and finally gave up and replaced it with a JJB 330. They say that you have to get the placement just right with the iBeam ... perhaps that was the issue.

I would go with the K&K pure mini or the JJB 330 as half of your solution. I know nothing about the microphone side of things.

Could be the case... I don't know. I have mine in a Eastman E 10 00 and it sounds really good. The guy who installed it for me has installed many I-Beams. Maybe he knows something

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Do not buy B-Bands from China, they are many times forgeries, and any B-Band bought from Chinese sellers on ebay and others are not covered by B-Bands warranty. Check with B-Band for info. I was burned by a Chinese B-Band seller and so was forum member Midwinter. B-Band XOM systems are great pickups so buy the real deal from a licensed seller if your interested in one.

I appreciate the warning. When you say 'burned' can you tell me more exactly what happened? Is your Chinese pickup of much poorer quality than an official one? These things seem to be of suspect quality all around, I didn't realise that fake pickups were an actual problem.

I'm looking at an XOM 2.2 which has the feather pickup in addition to the ust. It's $69 from a seller on eBay.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Kaos, I'm solo into a Fishman Loudbox Mini. I fingerpick with bare fingertips, strum a little too but with my fingernails. I don't typically drive the pre with hot hitting on the guitar. I'm a more sensitive , quiet guitar player.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Problem Is that these are all out of my budget at the moment. What I did find was a Dtar multi source (mic&ust) $125 new or a B-band X2.2 (dual source sbt & ust) $69 new for on China. Also found a Duncan SA6 used for $135.

Stay away from pretty much every pickup direct from China. They are mostly cheap knock-out. I've seen Fishman pre-amps which look like someone has never seen a pick-up before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2017, 01:09 PM

I just went down to my music room and played my 00 with the I-beam in it for about 30 minutes. Yep, still sounds great!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 PM

I got burned by a Chinese knockoff and so did a friend of mine. Try to track down this: http://www.lsmsound.com/en/product_view.aspx?id=408 . They sound amazing! I put one in my J35.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
I got burned by a Chinese knockoff and so did a friend of mine. Try to track down this: http://www.lsmsound.com/en/product_view.aspx?id=408 . They sound amazing! I put one in my J35.
That's interesting. Seems to be a 'dead to rights' copy of a Baggs Anthem SL from China. So are these Chinese copies serviceably good pickups or are they not? Seems to me that they could be and I'm supposing that I can count your review of this LSI as a 'yes, it's good'?

Anyone else care to comment? We're the black market B-band pickups any good, or a total rip? I've seen a fake Baggs Anthem copy (full version) and a Schertler Magnetico w/Mic clone, both on eBay for cheap. Anyone try anything like these?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
That's interesting. Seems to be a 'dead to rights' copy of a Baggs Anthem SL from China. So are these Chinese copies serviceably good pickups or are they not? Seems to me that they could be and I'm supposing that I can count your review of this LSI as a 'yes, it's good'?

Anyone else care to comment? We're the black market B-band pickups any good, or a total rip? I've seen a fake Baggs Anthem copy (full version) and a Schertler Magnetico w/Mic clone, both on eBay for cheap. Anyone try anything like these?
They are always available on eBay for @$69.00. Just search for LSM 220 pickup. Two great reasons not to buy one: It just doesn't seem fair to the folks at Baggs who did all the R&D, and if you go to YouTube and listen to a sample it sounds like someone shoved an ice pick in your ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification