The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM

Default Repair Crack

i have this guitar with a crack should i repair by my self or should i take it to
music store? i dont have experience repairing guitar but i dont want to spend a lot of money for a guitar and its not going to last long time.
here are some pic
any advice of rate of how much would be to repair ir is welcome.
the guitar is a taylor big baby

Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM

I'm sure others can help more than I can, I just ordered some supplies ($15.00 total) from www.stewmac.com to do a small crack on a bridge. They have a nice selection of glues, tips etc. that might come in handy for your repair. For each glue they offer they have a guide to help match it up to the repair you are doing.
I did a lot of research...it's my first attempt at a repair like this. We shall see. I did have a pro look at it first and he helped guide me too.
Good luck

My question about glues is listed just below this one...at least it is now anyway.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:07 PM

It should be an inexpensive repair if you take it to a luthier, and they're more likely to do a clean job of it than somebody without experience.

If you want to see what's involved, frets.com is a great resource:
http://www.frets.com/fretspages/Luth...2topcrack.html

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. If I can figure out how to send a pic I will post. The finish is so dark that I don't think I could show much but the damage.

I'm puzzled ... why is is suggested that might want to veneer the insides?
There is about a 1/4 x 3" piece missing from the back right at the lower bout curve. I think I can probably replace that with a trash piece of rosewood form some where. I could just sand the curve out but then I worry about the sides having to match.

Something odd about the top is that it slopes in instead of out. Like it collapsed.

This one also had a metal string thingy on the tail that the ball end of the string passed through. I've seen that on some Washburns and some not. What was the difference.

Jt.

Anyone have an idea what it would cost to get this professionally restored?
I've never worked on repairing a guitar but I have done some significant woodworking.

Rustin
Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 AM

This is the best way i've found. I use magnets to hold a piece of crossgrain wood under the crack to stabilize and strengthen it. then i cut a piece out of scrap and fill it. Go to 4:55 of this vid. This is the best way i've found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8F-gA9HHQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair