The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
actually it was like playing tennis in the street. Dodge Ram trucks kept going by. In the background of the shots is a guy walking his dog and a kid on a big wheel, I pitted them behind Kurt and Bruce so you could not see them.
I'm surprised you could hide a scarecrow behind my scrawny little frame, much less a Dodge Ram!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM

LOL, Kurt! Most people worry about the camera adding a few pounds.

I look at the pictures with me in 'em and think to myself "when did my neck swallow my chin?" Now I know why my mom thinks of me whenever she watches "King of Queens!"
Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 AM

Perhaps next year John can bring his special camera that adds a bit of muscle to my legs, shoulders, chest and arms...
Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 AM

LOL, Kurt. Keep up that talk and next time we'll snap pics of you in the corn fields surrounding Morral!

FYI: my own pics will be shot in the tank up at Sea World!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Last night after getting put to work on YJ's build number 2 I picked up Kitchen Guitar #1 and broke out the Zoom H2.

Sorry for the tuning; it sounds like the B is out which isn't for lack of trying. It looks like the truss rod could use a tweak since there's a noticeable bow but there's really not that much buzz at all really. There seems to be a strange subharmonic on the A string but it may be a ball end not seating properly.

The guitar sounds great when played though and is nice and open; much better than any new D-18 I've ever tried in fact. YJ says that's because it's about to implode - so I agreed no Tommy Emmanuel or Andy McKee. YJ's trying to reach out to his family by learning Green Day but he's having a hard time competing with Guitar Hero. So, as a combination lesson and demo I gave it a try:

http://www.box.net/shared/67pmo6vj0g

Here's some technical date regarding the recording:
- the room is small (maybe 8' X 10') and lively with hard wood floors and a high (but not vaulted) ceiling.
- the recorder was placed on a desktop and pointed at the dual mics at the 12th fret from about 18" away.
- The recording is dry; no aftereffects added or EQ adjusted, just a boost of 10dB for volume only and then exported to MP3.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

THANKS Neil!
Whether its my computer or the loose nut behind the keyboard I have not figured out how to post videos or music. Thanks for getting it on there. Back to Greenday! Yesterday my 15 year old asked for guitar lessons! Somethings working!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
THANKS Neil!
Whether its my computer or the loose nut behind the keyboard I have not figured out how to post videos or music. Thanks for getting it on there. Back to Greenday! Yesterday my 15 year old asked for guitar lessons! Somethings working!
That's great! Hopefully he was not really inspired by "Glee."

EDIT: I feel like I should've done a better job tuning it. That B string is off and I'm convinced that it's user error. BTW, folks, YJ is waiting for it to settle in and getting used to being a guitar before he does a complete set up.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 07-16-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Last night after getting put to work on YJ's build number 2 I picked up Kitchen Guitar #1 and broke out the Zoom H2.
Sweet, Neil! That's the guitar I recall from the McJam -- bright, sparkly top end, a bit of grit in the bottom end. Way cool...
Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 PM

Kurt: oh yeah, there's lot of sparkle even though the strings are starting to fade toward death. I'd love to A/B it against my D-16GT or better yet a D-18GE. I already feel that it'd probably blow away a modern D-18.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Time for a visit.
First restringing! I had adjusted the truss rod quite a bit 2 months ago. It was needed.
The guitar has been getting rave reviews. I was even asked to replicate her for build #3. Backwards, light, weird braces! A local that has really taken a shine to the Fish. Man can he play! But if he is to continue I need a pickguard!
The frets needed about an hour of filing the ends, polishing, also a touch of leveling and I guess I am getting fussier.
New strings and she sounds great.
I'm in the heart of my busy season, time in the shop is nil or little for the next few weeks. It was nice to spend a while tuning and tinkering.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:44 AM

We should learn a lot from your story.I feel very excitement to read your story
Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 AM

The previous post inspired to me to go through this whole thread to become re-inspired - and maybe sideskirt some potential mistakes whenever I get moving with my build. At some point there was mention of a #2 which was to be an OM. Whatever happened to it?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
The previous post inspired to me to go through this whole thread to become re-inspired - and maybe sideskirt some potential mistakes whenever I get moving with my build. At some point there was mention of a #2 which was to be an OM. Whatever happened to it?
Remember my drum sander learning curve?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Remember my drum sander learning curve?
3rd time was the charm IIRC. I think we finally figured out how to use the dremel effectively too. That should come in handy when I get to binding sometime around 2020 at this pace. I was actually paying special attention to the trouble you were having with the grain orientation on the bracing and the redo of the UTB.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

2020 will come much sooner than you thought it would.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair