The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Well I'm sure he has lots of money to play with, but in my experience, people don't usually go into a business venture without expecting to make a profit.
Costs are high in Ireland, wages, insurance, council taxes, social insurance contributions, I can't see how they can do it? Maybe I'm wrong, it will be interesting to watch it unfold.
Yes, the last time I visited (Waterford, Tramore and Fenor), I was shocked at how much my Guinness cost. In fact everything seemed far more expensive than in England.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yes, the last time I visited (Waterford, Tramore and Fenor), I was shocked at how much my Guinness cost. In fact everything seemed far more expensive than in England.
My point exactly, I don't see how it can be done!
Old 05-31-2019, 12:20 AM

Review by Guitar.com:

https://guitar.com/review/acoustic-g...s04-acoustics/

“Something immediately striking about both these guitars is the way they feel exactly like holding a Lowden. The visual vibe is much the same and the neck profile feels unaltered.”
Old 05-31-2019, 02:23 AM
Charter Member

From the same review, slightly off-topic, but....

”and these may be the first guitars Lowden has produced with visible fret ends”.

Not so...my 2001 Lowden O-25, and my earlier O-10, had visible fret-ends, as was the practice with the ‘Original Series’ instruments back in the Newtownards days.

The O-25 had to go back to the Downpatrick workshop in perhaps 2016 for a new truss-rod, and the fingerboard had to be replaced as a result. The replacement board has ebony binding (no visible fret-ends) in conformity with Lowden’s modern practice - a very nice touch!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:43 PM

Still no deliveries, even in UK, or?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Ed could make any guitar sound good, with or without FX, looper, etc. He's a great pop songwriter, player and performer. It's not about the FX. He seems to take a lot of heat on this forum and I don't understand it. Whether someone likes his music or not, he's one helluva talented musician.

Btw... I'm not implying that you have an issue with Ed's schtick or his talent. I just see some posts on this forum at times where people do.
I am not making a judgement about him one way or another, I am not familiar with his music, but the conventional wisdom around the guitar-internet is that he is not much of a guitar player. Probably just a standard judgement of a pop singer.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Personally don't think his guitar tone is anything to write home about. He is certainly talented, and I like a fair bit of his stuff, but not sure I would emulate his acoustic sound.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 06-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I recently asked at Music Zoo, they are a Lowden dealer, and they never got back to me about when the Sheehan guitars will arrive, so I guess even the dealers don’t know when the Sheehan guitars will arrive.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Dan - Charter Member

I visited The Music Emporium recently, because someone said they had a demo Sheeran by Lowden. The demo had been sent back, unfortunately. They're expecting them relatively soon, but don't really know when exactly they'll show (or aren't telling), but July is possible.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
I am not making a judgement about him one way or another, I am not familiar with his music, but the conventional wisdom around the guitar-internet is that he is not much of a guitar player. Probably just a standard judgement of a pop singer.
He may not have the approval of guitar-freaks here or elsewhere, but he writes and performs songs that a very great many people - young and, like me, not-so-young - enjoy, he’s developed a style and skills with looping, he performs live without a band or backing singers but, using his looping skills, he sounds as though he has both, he fills stadiums, and he’s made a huge fortune from it in a very short space of time - he was worth ~£160 million (~$200 million) at the last count, not bad for a 28 year-old guy who’s ‘not much of a guitar player’.

I think he at least deserves respect for that.

No criticism of any individual intended here, I just feel that a young man who is primarily a singer/songwriter rather than a guitarist, who has brought pleasure to many, who has introduced the idea of playing guitar to a lot of young people who otherwise might never have got involved, and who has sunk a sizeable chunk of his own money into a partnership project with one of the top builders to develop a range of decent-quality, reasonably-priced guitars deserves better than side-swipe comments that he’s ‘not much of a guitar player’ yadda yadda.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 06-20-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

We gullible humans buy celebrity-endorsed products, be they golf clubs, tennis racquets, guitars, etc., in the hopes we will be just like Mike or Ed or ...( fill in the blank). I figured out with just a lot more talent, creativity, and practice, I could be really good, but does that stop me from looking for a short cut? Nope.

My personal goal is to sound as good as those old blues guys playing a twenty dollar guitar...
Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
... I know for a fact that Ed's mini Martin sold very well indeed here in the UK.
Yup, they're selling by the bucket-load... erm, on eBay.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:27 AM

Sure he has made millions, he can fill stadiums and use a looper, but really the statement "he's not much of a guitar player" is perfectly valid.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
We gullible humans buy celebrity-endorsed products, be they golf clubs, tennis racquets, guitars, etc., in the hopes we will be just like Mike or Ed or ...( fill in the blank). I figured out with just a lot more talent, creativity, and practice, I could be really good, but does that stop me from looking for a short cut? Nope.

My personal goal is to sound as good as those old blues guys playing a twenty dollar guitar...
Absolutely, it's all marketing. When I play to an audience, nobody notices whether I'm playing my Collings 0002h or my $250 recording king, especially when plugged in.
Most really good guitar players that I know just play whatever is to hand and make it sound great.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Sure he has made millions, he can fill stadiums and use a looper, but really the statement "he's not much of a guitar player" is perfectly valid.
It would be interesting to hear the playing of those who think Ed is "not much of a guitar player", so that a proper perspective might be able to be gained from such critiques.

Try looping, playing, and singing the way he does and see how difficult it is to do well. I am a guitar player, and I ran out a bought a Boss RC-300 looper because I was inspired by Ed's live performances. That was last year. Even though I've performed live since then, I still haven't gained the confidence in my looping skills to actually use it live. I've been performing live on guitar since 1984.

Ed isn't Paco de Lucia, Tony Rice, or Pierre Bensusan. But that hardly means he's "not much of a guitar player". And in regards to solo live performances that can entertain crowds of thousands for hours, there aren't that many guitar players who can hang with him. Must one be an instrumental virtuoso so be considered much of a guitar player? I can understand if people are somehow put-off by Ed's pop sensibilities and popularity, but the guy is very talented, period. And I don't understand the lack of respect for that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion