The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM

Default Bridge pin advice

I just received a set of Taylor ebony bridge pins, the model with the abalone dots, to replace the plain plastic pins as supplied with my GS Mini Koa. I'd intended to buy a set when I do my first string change, but they were a good price. My question is, is it possible to change the pins without removing the strings, or should I just wait until I put new strings on? I don't expect any tonal improvement, they just look nice!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magirus View Post
I just received a set of Taylor ebony bridge pins, the model with the abalone dots, to replace the plain plastic pins as supplied with my GS Mini Koa. I'd intended to buy a set when I do my first string change, but they were a good price. My question is, is it possible to change the pins without removing the strings, or should I just wait until I put new strings on? I don't expect any tonal improvement, they just look nice!

You will need to detune each string to get the pin out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 03:48 PM

Pins can change the tone. In my experience plastic does not sound as good as wood or bone.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM

Maybe I should have said "To my ears" plastic doesn't sound as good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 05:44 PM

As Rickit has said, they can change tone, when the string is fitted correctly it is wedged in against the bridge pin very tight so wood or bone pins will transfer frequencies to the bridge and top different to plastic pins would. Be aware that some bone pins may need some adjustment to get them to fit correctly....I can't say how your new pins will fit. If they're completely loose when tried with no string then they're no good, if they sit higher than the existing pins they're too wide. Good look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I guess I'll need to have a new set of strings on standby in case of any problems, detune, and see how it goes. From what I've read the replacement pins from Taylor should be a straight swap.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:36 AM

All done. I was surprised by how little tension I needed to remove from the strings, I changed one at a time starting with the low E. The new pins from Taylor are a little shorter and are wider than the plastic ones they replaced, but slid in no problem. After tuning up and playing a little I could definitely hear a richer sound with more sustain, and could feel more vibration in the body. Definitely worth the £7!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair