The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Is the neck actually set yet or was that just a dry fitting? What type of bridge do you have to put on it? Belly, pyramid, other? Rosewood or ebony?
She is bolted and glued down. The basic checks tell me its at the right angle
I made a saddle yesterday and broke it when 95% done Grrrr Belly Bridge/rosewood with a special anomaly in the grain that matches the fretboard. I have the first 3 frets level, 6000 gritted....shakin' the bushes!
Tomorrow is a 15 hour photo shoot for my biz.... I wanna finish!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm cheking the calendar. You have one week to finish this project. One week before McJammers will be checking out your creative work of art.

It's funny (not) how work gets in the way sometimes.

I will see you next Friday.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
She is bolted and glued down. The basic checks tell me its at the right angle
I made a saddle yesterday and broke it when 95% done Grrrr Belly Bridge/rosewood with a special anomaly in the grain that matches the fretboard. I have the first 3 frets level, 6000 gritted....shakin' the bushes!
Tomorrow is a 15 hour photo shoot for my biz.... I wanna finish!
OK, I'm confused. You're just talking about the saddle right and not the bridge itself? I hope the bridge didn't split on you. That'd really suck!

Now if the bridge is on OK then did you do the straight-edge check?

The neck looks good - I love the volute - but I'm gonna have to look back in the thread to see how much work you put into it. What kind of tuning machines are they? Waverly or Grover Sta-Tites?

Sorry if I'm nit-picking here. I'm actually really inspired - though I'm too lazy to do it myself. I can't wait until I see it at the jam.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
OK, I'm confused. You're just talking about the saddle right and not the bridge itself? I hope the bridge didn't split on you. That'd really suck!

Now if the bridge is on OK then did you do the straight-edge check?

The neck looks good - I love the volute - but I'm gonna have to look back in the thread to see how much work you put into it. What kind of tuning machines are they? Waverly or Grover Sta-Tites?

Sorry if I'm nit-picking here. I'm actually really inspired - though I'm too lazy to do it myself. I can't wait until I see it at the jam.
Between snaps right now.
Bridge is not on yet. I was fitting the saddle and it was too snug. I snapped the saddle. The Bridge came off the shelf. The neck was a Martin second. It already had on the headplate. I am 90% sure its a Cedar neck. My next build already has a big block of Mahogany waiting for me.
Grovers. Drilling a neck I have 30+ hours into (remember I had to create a new angle because of the body being um....backwards) was scary. I have the whole "rest of the story" typed, just not corrected. Lots of pictures.
With the bridge just siting there I am a hair high. But that was before fret leveling. It should dial in perfect.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Been following this thread and I'm throughly enjoying it...you have a nice build going on and looking forward to seeing the finished product...Thanks for sharing it with us

Last edited by Lost4Daze; 06-19-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Between snaps right now.
Bridge is not on yet. I was fitting the saddle and it was too snug. I snapped the saddle. The Bridge came off the shelf. The neck was a Martin second. It already had on the headplate. I am 90% sure its a Cedar neck. My next build already has a big block of Mahogany waiting for me.
Grovers. Drilling a neck I have 30+ hours into (remember I had to create a new angle because of the body being um....backwards) was scary. I have the whole "rest of the story" typed, just not corrected. Lots of pictures.
With the bridge just siting there I am a hair high. But that was before fret leveling. It should dial in perfect.
FWIW that's a nice-looking neck regardless. I guess it's a 28? I can't tell from this distance what kind of neck it is either but I'd guess Spanish cedar. That's good though; Tim has said that it goes better with mahogany and the like than with rosewood. Good luck with the bridge though.

What're ya gonna call this one? Got a kitchsey name for it or some cryptic model number? I can't wait to see what the next one is gonna be? Gonna go for Walnut/Adi with a maple neck and do your own "all American" model?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Hey, YJ, I've been following a similar thread over at HCAG that's in about the same stage as yours. The guy's not doing too bad having started in early February and currently doing the French polish as well. When you mentioned that you were putting the bridge on (after polishing) I went back and re-read the entire thread over there. He hasn't bolted/glued the neck on for good just yet either but it's looking good.

BTW, he's voicing his like a Yamaha LL16 'cept he's using an LMI kit with zebrawood back & sides.

I gotta tell ya, I envy you guys. Maybe in a coupla years I'll go ahead and make my own D-35. I have excavate my basement and locate my workbench first though. I shan't share pics of that predicament though.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 06-21-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: deleted pics
Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I dig the zebra wood.
Fret leveling is tedious but rewarding. I am at one with the Stew Mac Fret Rocker. I have all of the frets done. My Bridge locater assembled and my leather label finished
Tomorrow I play her!
My finish is not fully done. I wanted the shellac to harden for a week+ before the McKnight Jam. The beauty of French Polish, you can go back.
There are many lessons learned on the build.

As for a name "Model 1" has a ring to it.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Wow. Bridge location education makes my brain hurt. I spent a good chunk of the day really understanding bridge location. I hope I got it. She's glued down. Still screwing with leveling a last few frets. I have the saddle thickness and width done.
Tomorrow I have to drill/taper bridge holes. Finish saddle height and nut grooves.
Lots of pictures, more story coming.

I have a box of strings and Bridge pins on the table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Story is coming! She's a player........

I still have a few hours of screwing with string height. But she tunes up. Plays very pretty sounds.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 PM

WOw. I don't know why, but that guitar's visual motif just made me think of Picasso and cubism. Not because of any funky perspective going on but the colors and that rosette with the little inlays in the binding. I like the colors though. I wonder how it'll look once the sitka top tans a little and that mahogany darkens to a more reddish hue?

PS: ya gotta let us hear it. Back when you closed the box it had a nice tap tone to it. I'm dying to hear it now that it's strung up. Any chance of firing up the Zoom and strumming some chords for us? If file hosting is an issue you might want to try box.net.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
WOw. I don't know why, but that guitar's visual motif just made me think of Picasso and cubism. Not because of any funky perspective going on but the colors and that rosette with the little inlays in the binding. I like the colors though. I wonder how it'll look once the sitka top tans a little and that mahogany darkens to a more reddish hue?

PS: ya gotta let us hear it. Back when you closed the box it had a nice tap tone to it. I'm dying to hear it now that it's strung up. Any chance of firing up the Zoom and strumming some chords for us? If file hosting is an issue you might want to try box.net.
You walk me through the soundposting the next time you drop by. You'll hear her on Friday! Reminds me of Picasso also. Stuff in relative places lol
Lutz top
Old 06-22-2010, 11:02 PM

Congratulations YJ!!! So cool it's finally finished. I started my build towards the end of February and I just installed the tuners. Just need to shape the nut and saddle and I'll be playing my first build too!!!

BTW, you're an amazing photographer!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:28 AM

There is a bit of Kandinsky going on in that rosette, nice idea. Not sure about those inlays on the top though Anyway very impressive for a first build congrats.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

I had a couple of cancellations so maybe someone will want to see your guitar this weekend.

They can contact me today and I will sign up at the last minute for the Ohio McJam for Friday and/or Saturday.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair