The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-08-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

This one is named after a scene in a Robert James Waller book - where a guy drove his truck to pick up his lady and drove her to some hill for a romantic evening,

This one is self evident, and just "came to me shortly after buying this guitar:

It seems that often an intrument will dictate a tune. This one was inspired by this locally made Weissenborn, but also thinking about the widow of a good Texan friend who died suddenly.

This was a tune that emerged whilst noodling on my weissy, during the first lockdown and when we were told to keep two metres apart.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm going to try picking a name first, and then write to fit. Let's see how that works out.
Great idea. My next tune will be called "Muffed Notes In a Not Entirely Compelling Rhythm." I've already got that one mostly worked out!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-08-2021, 07:01 PM

I've go from outrageous ("Ode to Billy's Hoe") to whimsical ("My Mother's Oldsmobile") to gentle ("Lullaby.) The titles coming from what was happening, where the piece was started or completed, &/or who or what angered/pleased me at the time.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

If an instrumental and just starting I use the acronym WIP (Work In Progress) and then a sequential number.... WIP 1 ,,,WIP 2 ,, etc. When finished I tend to listen to it and see where it take my mind . Then try to get a name inspired by that journey

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-08-2021, 10:23 PM

When I read Doug Young's post, I laughed......that's what I do!! My wife is my main "song namer", but as with Doug I need to tread lightly.....she gives me one shot, and if I don't like it, I'm on my own!! LOL!
Seriously, my wife has "the knack" of creating titles as she listens to my stuff. The process is refined now, and if I'm just starting to get something down, I'll play it for her, completely unfinished with the idea that there might be enough there for a potential name. If it's a good one, it often helps me to compose to the title and continue on a theme that's been established. If not, I push ahead and then confirm something later on.
Here are a few good ones she's come up with in recent years that are all part of my lineup:
"Autumn's Soul"
'Sole, Soul Traveler"
"Softness at Dawn"
'Weekday Slumber"
"Purple Tangerine"
"Mayfly Whispers"
"Sweet Honey Daze"
"Puddle Jumping"
"Open Doerr"
My titles often relate to nature, or certain places, or emotion. "Lavender Bloom", "Emerald Lake" , "Sullivan Bay", Meadow Breeze" "Heart Felt" are examples.
Hope this helps!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-14-2021, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

I've got a tune called Judy. Because I was teaching it to my bass player. And a section goes G,D,G,D,G,D Falling down the register. When I told him, he said. Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy. So there you go. Got another called "Stolen Wind" It has a wind track behind the acoustics. The file, I hijacked out of a computer st s guitar center. Hence, Stolen Wind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write