The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Default 1982 Martin OM 28 Custom

Hello,

Do any of you know the story behind this particular model?

I found a little information on the UMGF, saying that Eric Schoenberg ordered 8 custom models in 1982, 4 with Sitka tops, 4 with Alpine spruce tops, and that these guitars kick-started Martin to begin offering OM-size guitars again.

Would love any information you can add.

Thanks.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Call Eric.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Hi,

I did a little research and found it interesting so I will share.

Martin stopped making OM style guitars in 1933. But Eric Schoenberg, as a fingerstyle guitarist, felt that the Martin OMs produced from late 1929 through 1933, had qualities possessed by no other guitars. "The tonal wonder of the 1929-30 guitars to me is the explosive response, the full, complete tone from bare fingers. It's a magic thing, like the guitar is alive and kicking, giving back to the musician as much as he [or] she is putting in," he said. The balance, projection, and responsiveness of these guitars really stood out to him.

It was so difficult to find these original guitars in good condition that Eric went to talk to Chris Martin. "It took years of cajoling to get them to make OMs," Eric reported. In 1969 Eric was finally able to order a batch of six OM-28s. They were the first OMs Martin had made since 1933. Then, later, Eric ordered more OMs, convincing Martin to start their Custom Shop in order to build these guitars to specs provided by Eric. Eventually, Martin re-introduced the OM in its standard lineup.

Regarding the OMs ordered in 1982, the first batch of four of these were done with Sitka spruce on two and the other two with European spruce from the Levin factory in Sweden after Martin bought the company. Mine is one of the latter. Apparently Martin bought Levin to gain access to their stock of old, quality European spruce, and Eric says that the ones he produced using the European spruce (about 12 total) were phenomenal in tone and superior to the sitka-topped ones.

Hope this was interesting to folks.

Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)

Last edited by bho; 02-10-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Hi,

I did a little research and found it interesting so I will share.

Martin stopped making OM style guitars in 1933. But Eric Schoenberg, as a fingerstyle guitarist, felt that the Martin OMs produced from late 1929 through 1933, had qualities possessed by no other guitars. "The tonal wonder of the 1929-30 guitars to me is the explosive response, the full, complete tone from bare fingers. It's a magic thing, like the guitar is alive and kicking, giving back to the musician as much as he [or] she is putting in," he said. The balance, projection, and responsiveness of these guitars really stood out to him.

It was so difficult to find these original guitars in good condition that Eric went to talk to Chris Martin. "It took years of cajoling to get them to make OMs," Eric reported. In 1969 Eric was finally able to order a batch of six OM-28s. They were the first OMs Martin had made since 1933. Then, later, Eric ordered more OMs, convincing Martin to start their Custom Shop in order to build these guitars to specs provided by Eric. Eventually, Martin re-introduced the OM in its standard lineup.

Regarding the OMs ordered in 1982, the first batch of four of these were done with Sitka spruce on two and the other two with European spruce from the Levin factory in Sweden after Martin bought the company. Mine is one of the latter. Apparently Martin bought Levin to gain access to their stock of old, quality European spruce, and Eric says that the ones he produced using the European spruce were phenomenal and superior to the sitka-topped ones.

Hope this was interesting to folks.
Very interesting, thank you! It is amazing such a perfect guitar design fell out of production for so long, but thankfully recognized by one influential individual who pursuaded Martin to bring it back in our time to the benefit of that company.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:51 AM

I have one of the Levin spruce models from 1982. Beautiful tone! Fights well above its weight class!
Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 AM

Eric is featured in last months Acoustic Guitar Magazine. I vaguely had heard the name but wasn't familiar with his contributions.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

With only 12 of these made originally I wonder how many are still around (and if the owners know the story behind what they have). We should have a gathering of these guitars and owners!

Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
Old 12-13-2019, 09:04 PM

Last edited by Skydog; 12-13-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
With only 12 of these made originally I wonder how many are still around (and if the owners know the story behind what they have). We should have a gathering of these guitars and owners!

https://imgur.com/gallery/1I4er
Old 12-13-2019, 10:44 PM

This is my idea of the most attractive body shape.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion