The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM

Default electrical issues

I have been putting a system together made up of mostly used equipment. I have two use JBL Eon15-1 powered speakers; two (new) Behringer B10's for monitors and Mackie CFX16 mixer. It is nice equipment for my purposes and budget. But my question goes something like this: our group--acoustic trio playing folk, country, bluegrass--often plays at outdoor or smaller venues. Sometimes there is only one outlet, or often only one outlet left at the power pole as others are using the electrical source. So, if I plug my heavy duty 100ft cable into an outlet, and then connect it to our power strip--will it be okay to plug the four powered speakers and mixer into the strip? So there'd be five items, I can't think of anything else we'd need to plug in.
In the past we've used a Bose L1 and the Mackie mixer. So that was quite simple. But we're looking at having others play with us at times and I think this "traditional" system will do better for us at outdoor events and in noisy places. Don't get me wrong I like the Bose and we've had it since 2003. Just gearing up to try something different.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It all comes down to the circuit and whether it can handle the load. You really aren't drawing that much so it shouldn't be a problem. Frankly, running everything on the same circuit is optimum because it guarantees that your gear will all share the same polarity and ground. Of, do get yourself an outlet checker that allows you to check polarity and ground. You do want that ground to protect you outdoors.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification