The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 11:37 PM

Default Looking for songs that suit my voice

Over the last 6 months I've sort of rediscovered guitar by learning to sing and play at the same time. I've probably learned around a dozen songs but I've found most of them just don't suit my voice. For instance I love Tom Petty and had fun learning a couple of his songs but when I record myself I find that even though I'm hitting the notes my voice just doesn't work that well for them.

Is it that even though I can sing reasonably high the tone of my voice just doesn't sound great singing that high, or is it that my voice just doesn't suit his style of music? I haven't really been able to answer this. The same can also be said of The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, and Bob Marley songs I've tried.

One song where I feel like I do sound good is Friend of the Devil by Grateful Dead. Even the somewhat high verse "Got two reasons why I cry away each loney night..." sounds pretty good. I wonder if it's just the sort of laid back style of singing that works for me. Folsom Prison Blues is another one that works pretty well but I don't sing it like Cash and I capo up a step.

Any thoughts on my vocal limitations or song suggestions that might work for me?

Last edited by PeterMN; 10-19-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:51 PM

I believe any song will fit your voice if you sing it ina key that is right for you. Just transpose the song to where it fits you. I’ve been performing professionally for several decades and i’ve Never met any songs that I like to hear me sing and yet I’m hired to sing as often as I care to work. Do what you like to do and, if you know you’re hitting it, don’t worry what you sound like to you.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I believe any song will fit your voice if you sing it ina key that is right for you. Just transpose the song to where it fits you.
^^^^
THIS!!

There is no rule that says you must sing songs in the same keys they were originally recorded in.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-20-2019, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

I keep my dreads tuned down a half step, which tends to suit my voice better than standard tuning. And I use a capo quite a bit. It all depends on the key of the song.

But even at that, some songs just don't suit my 3-note vocal range. I have to pick and choose.

As for Tom Petty, I play "Free Fallin'" and "Wildflowers." Easy enough to sing.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Tune down and use a capo, keep going up a half step and playing and singing. You'll know soon enough if it's your voice or the key.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-20-2019, 06:28 AM

No need to echo what others have said, but it seems to me you feel you must sound "like" the original cover artists. If you can get over this, and just sound like you, then you may discover you can sing far more than you thought.

One of the things I do is to learn what notes I can cover at both top and bottom end, how high and how low can I go? Then I refine it, how high or low can I go and not sound forced, keep within my natural range? That helps me decide upon the key (I rarely use a capo and can play in most common keys - that is a help to me). Knowing this now, I choose songs that stay within that range. If there is one that exceeds my natural range but not the possible range, and I really want to play it, then I will probably go for it anyhow, assuming I don't have to hold the notes and they are ones that I can just punch it out and get over fast. Some folks suggest picking another note within the same chord but mostly I have found I do not like the way this sounds, especially if the song is well known. People will know what I am doing or, if they don't, will think I have messed up. Best not to go there in the first place; there are too many good ones to force yourself to play one that isn't suited to you.

Some of my friends have discovered songs that really suit their voices. Although this limits their repertoire quite a bit, they sound really great when they sing. I can't bring myself to do this - but I should.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:04 AM

When playing at a jam someone will pick a song and say key of "C". The next week someone else will pick the same song and say key of "A". And not even sing the same lyric.

Point is change key. Don't be afraid to substitute a note that fits your range. All you really need to do is get the story across in a pleasing fashion.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:36 AM

I'm now in my late 50s. There are lots of songs I like and have been able to work out playing and singing most of them, at least to my own satisfaction. Some work out in the original key, others are transposed. I try to get close to the original vocals, but some artists are better suited than others. I've played out quite a bit in the past and had compliments on vocals for songs from The Who to Johnny Cash to Bob Segar to Bob Dylan. For me, practice (with a mic and monitor, Fishman Loudbox) has ben very important in getting to that point.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I know what you mean. Like others have said, I can sing most songs as long as I'm in the right key but I just really don't like the sound of my voice on most songs. I'm more comfortable singing harmonies and backing up my wife/acoustic duo partner.

That said, there are certain songs where I do think I sound pretty good and do take the lead on. One in particular you should check out is from the latest version of the movie A Star Is Born. There's a song that Bradley Cooper sings in that called Maybe It's Time.

I play/sing that in a lower key than he does but it's easy to play and I sound really good (by my standards) singing it. There's another one that I co-sing and take the lead on the first verse with my wife joining in on subsequent verses and choruses from the same movie called Digging My Grave. I also take the first verse lead again on the classic Dylan song Forever Young.

Here's a couple direct YouTube Video clips of of the songs from the movie:

Old 10-20-2019, 08:46 AM

If you are judging based on your recorded voice, that is likely your problem.
When you listen to a recording you don’t sound anything like what you hear when you are singing in the living room.
People tell me all the time that I have a beautiful voice.
Every time I hear it recorded, I cringe.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-20-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I believe any song will fit your voice if you sing it ina key that is right for you. Just transpose the song to where it fits you. I’ve been performing professionally for several decades and i’ve Never met any songs that I like to hear me sing and yet I’m hired to sing as often as I care to work. Do what you like to do and, if you know you’re hitting it, don’t worry what you sound like to you.
I completely disagree. I have a limited vocal range and there are only certain songs I can sing, even if tuned down. The song can't go to high or too low for me to pull it off. I just didn't get the singing gene.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion