The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 01:40 PM

Default Funny How Times Change

A few years ago I could list a great name-brand guitar on here and have it sell quickly. Likewise, on Reverb and Ebay I never had any issues selling well-known guitars. Lately, while selling off a few to clear some room in the studio, I've had far more response and results on Craigslist. I've never sold many guitars on Craigslist (far better success with tools, sports equipment...) but of the guitars I've sold over the past month 2/3's and soon to be 3/4's of them have sold locally on Craigslist. It's surprising mainly due to there being hundreds of millions of potential buyers on Reverb, Ebay (and even here), and only a million or two of potential buyers in the local and expanded-local area. I even have a guy driving 5 hours, each way, coming tomorrow or Tuesday to pick up one of the few I have left for sale. Funny indeed.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Glad that’s working for you, Steve. Craigslist is pretty much a bust for me mainly because I live in a small rural town. Not a lotta action on Craigslist. On the other hand I’ve had no trouble moving high-end, brand name guitars on Reverb and co-listed here. Typically sell in 10-14 days. Sometimes in just a couple days. I keep hearing about a buyers’ market...but I’ve sold a lot of guitars at fair prices over the last few years with no problems...

Old 10-19-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
A few years ago I could list a great name-brand guitar on here and have it sell quickly. Likewise, on Reverb and Ebay I never had any issues selling well-known guitars. Lately, while selling off a few to clear some room in the studio, I've had far more response and results on Craigslist. I've never sold many guitars on Craigslist (far better success with tools, sports equipment...) but of the guitars I've sold over the past month 2/3's and soon to be 3/4's of them have sold locally on Craigslist. It's surprising mainly due to there being hundreds of millions of potential buyers on Reverb, Ebay (and even here), and only a million or two of potential buyers in the local and expanded-local area. I even have a guy driving 5 hours, each way, coming tomorrow or Tuesday to pick up one of the few I have left for sale. Funny indeed.

It's all that cash flowing from the Mary Jane companies in Colorado. Folks got some extra bucks...actual cash...in their pockets burnin holes needing a new home.

Or somethin like that

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 10-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Here in the Seattle area craigslist is pretty good for anything around or under 2k with a big name on the headstock.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:39 PM

I can’t seem to sell things on Craigslist anymore. What was once my go to selling site has been overtaken by Market Place on Facebook. Guitars or merchandise posted on both site sells on Market Place. Seems to have over taken Craigslist.
I sell in both Minneapolis and Phoenix same results..
Old 10-19-2019, 08:57 PM

I'm glad it works for you, Steve. Typically all I get on CL are ghosts and chiselers.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:09 AM

I have also had good success with Craigslist. While the meet-and-greet transaction process can be tedious, avoiding shipping is a primary benefit that I think many buyers and sellers favor. Everything I have sold on there, guitars included, went very smoothly, quickly, and with good people.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

The problem here is that there is just SO many great guitars out there. Five years ago when I was in the throes of buying/selling/trading it was awesome and I went through a lot of guitars. Then a few years ago it just slowed to a crawl. Reverb has gotten better and I've sold a few there but it brings out the tire-kickers mostly. Craigslist for me has been hit or miss, mostly miss. The scammers are like mosquitoes on a hot, summer evening - thick and annoying. I have sold a few guitars on it over the years, all Martins. But it's definitely a buyers market with no signs of slowing down!
Old 10-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

My local Craigslist has always worked well for me and enables me to deal with in-person, cash sales only. I do get a few stupid email inquiries and offers from cranks but they're easy to spot and sometimes I playback to them with in-kind gibberish.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Last summer I sold a Taylor 814 to someone from my Craigslist ad, and he returned the other day (from a pretty good distance) with his father-in-law to purchase my Taylor 714. I also sold my Taylor 710 (yes, I'm getting out of the "Taylor business") to a guy in September from a Craigslist ad. I know that Craigslist can be a convenient punchline to a lot of stories, but I've never had a bad experience and have sold a lot of stuff. Of course you should meet in a public place (although I neglected that rule on a number of transactions) and only accept cash, but you'll never convince me that Craigslist listings aren't a good thing. The buyer gets to play and examine the guitar before making a decision; and the seller doesn't pay fees, doesn't have to worry about shipping and walks away with cash. Kind of hard to top that....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-21-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:18 PM

I moved two Eastman’s this year via local craigslist. Both went to seasoned players (I’m mid life, so I refuse to say “older”) who knew their stuff. Easy to talk to and work with, and happy with the guitar and the price. Saved me haggling with shipping and PayPal, too. They took a little bit, but they sold without me having to drop the price, either. Worth the wait, and way less stress.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:30 PM

It's Denver. Lotsa money, lotsa guitar interest. Just look at Craigslist Denver vs Craigslist Chicagoland, a metro area with three times the population.

Then look at the number of stores selling $2k and up guitars. Denver wins again.

There are metro areas that are gardens of eden for guitars, and there are are wastelands. I know. Used to live in Denver, now live in a wasteland.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 10-20-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
It's Denver. Lotsa money, lotsa guitar interest. Just look at Craigslist Denver vs Craigslist Chicagoland, a metro area with three times the population..... There are metro areas that are gardens of eden for guitars, and there are are wastelands. I know. Used to live in Denver, now live in a wasteland.
Thank you. This is hilarious.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Steve, I live 120 miles west of you, up in the high country. I've had good luck with Craigslist lately too.

I sold a nice Genz-Benz amp to a guy who drove 100 miles up and over Independence Pass from Glenwood Springs. And then back again.

I then sold a nice Alvarez-Yairi to a guy who drove up from Denver. We then talked a week later and he decided to buy my other A-Y; however, I was due for a Costco/Applejack run, so I drove down and he met me at the Arvada Costco.

The guitar market is really flat right now, but if you price things right and don't get greedy they will sell. And it appears Coloradans are willing to get in the car and drive for the right deal.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:52 AM

CL has been my go-to for 3 what I would call modest guitar sales: GS Mini, vintage D-18 and 000-15M. All sold at or near my asking price, quickly and without hassle (though I caught a couple scam hopefuls on the newish 000-15)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion