The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Godin Tric Cases - good for Humidity, or just temperature

I just saw something about Godin Tric cases, which claim to be thermally regulated", hence the acronym for "Thermally Regulated Instrument Case". They're made of some sort of foam that has a tongue and groove seal around the edges and then the outer case zips it down tight. I've seen a few reviews that indicate it's really good for humidity control as well as temperature - I would think if it would protect against extreme temperatures it would have to also maintain humidity pretty well...

BUT.... Does anyone have any experience with these cases? A search didn't turn up much. I don't need maximum physical protection - I'm pretty easy on guitars that way. But better humidity regulation and light weight would be a pretty seriously winning combination for my needs...

-Ray
Old 10-18-2019, 02:46 PM

It should be better than a regular case for both temperature and humidity . . but ONLY over relatively short time frames (less than a day, I' d say).

The same way that a styrofoam cup or a thermos can slow down the process of something getting hot/cold.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I find that even a Dread Jr gig bag protects from lack of humidity. I use water beads in a soap dish with a hygrometer in the gig bag and it keeps it almost at the same level as a case but that the water-beads dry up sooner. Water beads last a long time so it doesn't matter.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:50 PM

I have one for the Yamaha FS800, and although at the beginning I found the lengthy zipper to be like all those things, noisy, it protects the guitar well due to the dense foam which acts as an insulation and protection barrier. It is larger all around than a hardshell case, and it slows down temperature and humidity variations - guitar stays perfectly in tune after lengthy storage - a good sign.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I have one for the Yamaha FS800, and although at the beginning I found the lengthy zipper to be like all those things, noisy, it protects the guitar well due to the dense foam which acts as an insulation and protection barrier. It is larger all around than a hardshell case, and it slows down temperature and humidity variations - guitar stays perfectly in tune after lengthy storage - a good sign.
Have you used the Tric case and a typical wooden hard case with in-case humidification and noticed a difference in stability inside the case and/or how often you need to refresh the humidification system?
Old 10-18-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Have you used the Tric case and a typical wooden hard case with in-case humidification and noticed a difference in stability inside the case and/or how often you need to refresh the humidification system?
No, I haven’t had to use or think about in-case humidification yet this year, although last winter, all of February of 2019 (a disastrously cold outdoors/ dry indoors month for the south west coast of Canada) I did have to humidify in-case the other guitars. The Yamaha and Tric are new, haven’t seen any dry conditions yet, although now I’m living very close to ocean front so there is a micro climate where I live I’ve noticed is especially humid.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:45 PM

I bought one for a parlor and while it is nice. It is huge. Thickness is about 7 inches maybe more. Also not heavy at all. All the cases are the same size. Its the inside that makes the difference.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
I bought one for a parlor and while it is nice. It is huge. Thickness is about 7 inches maybe more. Also not heavy at all. All the cases are the same size. Its the inside that makes the difference.
Yes, the thick insulation it provides on all sides of the guitar is impressive. The bulk of it may be a drawback but it doesn’t take a backseat to a hardshell case for impact resistance from what I can tell. Does it provide better humidity control within due to its thickness? I don’t know.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:20 PM

I have one for my Godin acoustic and between a humidpack and the tric case, the humidity never fluctuated below 50 or above 55%. Only good things to say from me.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I have one for a Godin Doyle Dykes Ltd Ed Multiac and I really like it. I can't answer the details about humidity that you ask as this is not an issue in my house and where I live, but I would think it would do well short term due to the groove and seal you mentioned. It is a little thick as someone mentioned, but I think it protects the guitar well and I like the straps it comes with as well. Helps carry it if you have other gear, etc. Very nice case.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 PM

I own a TRIC dreadnought size case and while I use it mainly for when I travel with a dread, I can attest to it's superior humidity-maintaining capabilities.

Looking at it from as neutral a point as I can, I love it's very low weight and it's ability to maintain proper humidity for a much longer time than either my Gibson or Martin HSC. In fairness, the TRIC case has a far superior joint around the opening the HSC's do not. The TRIC has a ridge on the bottom of the case that fits into a slot that is part of the lid. Of course, these two features are all around the perimeter of their respective halves.

Having said that one may wonder why I don't use it all my guitars and just sell the manufacturer's cases...

I'm not entirely convinced the foam material protects my guitars as well as the HSC's do. I only travel on Southwest Airlines so I'm never in a position to have to put it in the cargo hold of the aircraft so I'm really not worried about this perceived lack of protection. If I ever think I'll have to check my guitar as baggage, I will go with the HSC it came with.

Completely non-scientific I know but I'm just not convinced it would be properly protected in the TRIC case.

But since the OP was asking about humidity retention, in my experience, there is no comparison. The TRIC keeps my guitar at a constant level of humidity for about three times longer than the HSC. And this is in Nevada which is NOT known for being a humid place.

Best,
PJ
Old 10-18-2019, 10:19 PM

My duo uses them, in fact we just got back from California (~20%) to Washington (~57%) and no problem.

I got them specifically for good temperature and humidity regulation when travelling. The same design that keeps the temperature from changing quickly helps with humidity for the same reason.

Other than sheer impact resistance, these cases are protective from a few different angles.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-19-2019, 06:26 AM

I have one for a few years now and I’m pretty happy. The only issue that I had was zipper on older model and because it was still under warranty they sent me newer model with much stronger zipper.
I don’t travel with this case, it’s mostly for home use and occasional gigs and I only put one Humidipak during (dry/Canadian) winter season from November to March.
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro
Old 10-19-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

"I have one for my Godin acoustic and between a humidpack and the tric case, the humidity never fluctuated below 50 or above 55%. Only good things to say from me."

"But since the OP was asking about humidity retention, in my experience, there is no comparison. The TRIC keeps my guitar at a constant level of humidity for about three times longer than the HSC. And this is in Nevada which is NOT known for being a humid place."

"I only put one Humidipak during (dry/Canadian) winter season from November to March"

This is the kind of information I was looking for - thanks. It will be more than adequate for protecting against the odd bump or jostle. Temp and mostly humidity were my main questions and it seems it would be at least as good and probably better than my HSC for both, and a lot lighter too.

"It should be better than a regular case for both temperature and humidity . . but ONLY over relatively short time frames (less than a day, I' d say). The same way that a styrofoam cup or a thermos can slow down the process of something getting hot/cold."

This I don't get. Styrofoam is used for insulation for a lot longer than one day. It's a better insulator than wood by a lot. For any period of time. Lots of coolers are made of it, some homes use similar types of foam for insulation. I was more wondering how well sealed the case would be, which should affect humidity retention.

In any case, I'm satisfied to give one a try anyway...

Thanks much to all who responded!

-Ray
Old 10-19-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
"I have one for my Godin acoustic and between a humidpack and the tric case, the humidity never fluctuated below 50 or above 55%. Only good things to say from me."

"But since the OP was asking about humidity retention, in my experience, there is no comparison. The TRIC keeps my guitar at a constant level of humidity for about three times longer than the HSC. And this is in Nevada which is NOT known for being a humid place."

"I only put one Humidipak during (dry/Canadian) winter season from November to March"

This is the kind of information I was looking for - thanks. It will be more than adequate for protecting against the odd bump or jostle. Temp and mostly humidity were my main questions and it seems it would be at least as good and probably better than my HSC for both, and a lot lighter too.

"It should be better than a regular case for both temperature and humidity . . but ONLY over relatively short time frames (less than a day, I' d say). The same way that a styrofoam cup or a thermos can slow down the process of something getting hot/cold."

This I don't get. Styrofoam is used for insulation for a lot longer than one day. It's a better insulator than wood by a lot. For any period of time. Lots of coolers are made of it, some homes use similar types of foam for insulation. I was more wondering how well sealed the case would be, which should affect humidity retention.

In any case, I'm satisfied to give one a try anyway...

Thanks much to all who responded!

-Ray
I read that the TRIC foam is polypropylene-the stuff used for the core of motor car bumpers. Polystyrene ('Styrofoam'), is the stuff you get in cheap cases and, as you say, coolers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion