The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-15-2019, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Deal of the day...

Our little town has a "junk" store...they have a large music section...mostly Squire Strats and off brand acoustics and electrics. Many old amps....After going to the gym today I thought I really do not need to walk down there...but I did...got the DEAL OF THE DAY....this sweet Mexican Strat...for....$203 tax included!!!...set up perfect...one ding on the lower bout..this never happens to me...
On the left is my expen$ive custom shop Strat and on the right is the new addition...there is NOT $3000 worth of difference!!!!..guess which one may be up for sale before long...
Old 10-15-2019, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

All kinds of good things coming your way lately!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:53 AM

I have a Mexican Strat that is far better than it should be for the price. I don't know how the current ones are, but the ones from 15-20 years ago can be really excellent.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:56 AM

I bought an Older Squier Jazzmaster once for $105 at Idaho Youth Ranch put new strings on it and sold it for $250
Deals can be found
Old 10-15-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Nice find. I'm not an electric guitar guy although I own a Robert Cray Strat and a beautiful butterscotch MIM Telecaster. So it is with ignorance that I say that I can't see what the MIA uncharge gets the buyer...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-15-2019, 07:16 AM

The MIM Strats are a great value. I have an HSS and prefer to play it over my American made Stratocaster. You found yourself a great guitar at a great price. Congrats!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I don't know anything about electrics but congrats on your new (to you) MIM Strat! You gotta figure pawn shops in and around Nashville are loaded with treasures like this?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Nice find.[B] I'm not an electric guitar guy although I own a Robert Cray Strat and a beautiful butterscotch MIM Telecaster./B] So it is with ignorance that I say that I can't see what the MIA uncharge gets the buyer...
I guess that makes you and electric guitar guy.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:07 AM

I have an electric guitar guy buddy that tells me you will get far more bang for the buck from the top of the line Mexican Fender stuff than you will ever get from American made Fender. He says that you would have to spend thousands on American made Fender just to match it. I personally have had really good luck with G&L ASATs(telecasters) when you stat talking bang for bucks.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:05 AM

Nice snag dude!!

I tried out a bunch of strats a few months ago from Classic Vibes to MIM to American Performer and even a used American Standard. Walked away thinking I just wasn't a strat guy. Nabbed a Vintage Modified w/a hardshell case on CL for well under 2 bills and it has changed my mind - very happy with it.

It was a full moon last night, maybe it swung good fortune your way.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 AM

Is that Sherwood Green metallic? If so, I'm even more jealous.

My MIM Stratocaster is a black reverse Strat (non Jimi Hendrix branded, but with the reverse neck and pickups, non-reversed controls). I've been through a few Strats over the years, and this is the one that stuck.

Congrats on the score!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 AM

Excellent find.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:10 PM

Many years ago (2002) I worked in a Guitar Center for a short while. I sold recording and PA gear so I wouldn't be around guitars so much. One day while I was getting ready to leave, the UPS guy dropped off a bunch of Fender guitars. One of them was a Mexican 1950's Tele. One of the guys at the shop plugged it into a Fender amp and I couldn't believe how good it sounded. I owned some nice Teles, and I constantly tried every new Tele that came into this store, but this one smoked them all. Sometimes the tone is in the wood, and this one had the tone. I bought it without thinking twice. I still have it. It sounded great stock, but I love Van Zandt Tele pickups so I put some into it and changed the the hardware (bridge with compensated saddles) and pickguard up a bit for fun...

Old 10-15-2019, 11:55 PM

Looks good. How the neck is joined to the body, how closely the neck and body match and as well the quality of wood of the neck I have found can make for a great instrument, especially with the one piece maple Fenders. I have an exceptional Telecaster (I won’t disclose where it’s made) that feels alive in the hand, every note permeates the instrument, the strings feel sinewy. I also have a good made in Mexico Telecaster - the history of Fender and workers from across the border has been closely intertwined from day one.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:33 PM

Now that's a great deal, regardless of the day. Congrats on your Strat. Gotta like it when you walk into a store, see something you like, and walk home with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars