The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Default Kramster - AKA Carbon Fiber Gateway Enabler

I recently spent an afternoon with Kramster who is a stellar, generous individual. Me being a CF noob, I was very pleasantly surprised at the tone of today's instruments.

I played an Emerald X20, X30, a Blackbird Savoy, a couple 3 RainSongs (CH-WS, OM, and an older model) and a McPherson Sable and Touring.

All I can say is "wow". So that's what I've been missing. Here in AZ, the land of low humidity, a guitar that one can leave out on a stand all year round makes all kinds of sense.

Thanks so much to Kramster for his hospitality and being a guitar 'bro! I had a blast - there's far worse ways to spend an afternoon than noodling on guitars and BS'ing with a buddy.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

So, what caught your eye the most, sixx?
Old 10-10-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
So, what caught your eye the most, sixx?
I was impressed by the Emerald guitars' ergonomics. They're really quite beautiful and the arm and body bevels really make a large guitar kinda disappear. I'm about 5'10", and I could have sat and played the X30 all day long quite comfortably. And hit an open "E" on the X30? Oooooh mama...I think it made the windows rattle.

A direct comparison between the guitars is hard, because some had different strings, different string ages, etc. And I will say that I would play one, then Kramster would play it so i could hear it from an audience perspective and every one of them sounded good sitting in front.

Also, I'm not good enough to play for anyone, so I never amplify and I play for myself, sitting, and it's 98% fingerstyle with flesh and nail. So that's what I was looking for personally. And on that day, for me, I could have gone home with either the RSong CH-WS or CH-OM. To MY ears they sounded the best for how I play.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

You folks do know that, according to my bow hunting nephew, McPherson makes about the best carbon fiber hunting bows in the world?

So, Sable, Touring, hunting bows, same difference! (runs for cover...)

I can safely say that my favorite guitars are my two McPherson Tourings. Why two? One has the action lowered and is used exclusively for standard tuning, and would buzz with the strings tuned too low. The other is unmodified and used for open tunings. Both use the low(er) action saddle of the two supplied with the Touring.

Though I have only known kramster online, I think he is doing a real service as an ambassador of carbon fiber guitars, by opening his home and collection to guitar players, introducing them to a wide variety of instruments.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you've got a lot to choose from, sixx!

I agree about the Emerald ergonomics... very comfortable guitars to play.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:58 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Kramster is awesome. We once crashed NAMM together.

JR
Old 10-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
JR
I once ate a meatless burger with the man himself. Not the same one mind you.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I once ate a meatless burger with the man himself. Not the same one mind you.
IMPOSSIBLE!
Old 10-11-2019, 02:43 PM

--------------------
Old 10-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post

JR

We were just kids then... them was the days... or day.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-11-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
--------------------
I sorta agree.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-11-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
IMPOSSIBLE!
Does seem so I know... but alas .. a veggie burger up a wee north of Payson... listening to a friend play, even though he plays wood...and his daughter plays keys... he has been in my McPherson videos...Mr Fishkind, retired MMI president...

Last edited by kramster; 10-11-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

I can safely say that my favorite guitars are my two McPherson Tourings.

Tony

Mine just followed me to Albuquerque... got in some photos some how...I’ll get some up maybe Monday if I ever get home again.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixx View Post
I recently spent an afternoon with Kramster who is a stellar, generous individual. Me being a CF noob, I was very pleasantly surprised at the tone of today's instruments.

I played an Emerald X20, X30, a Blackbird Savoy, a couple 3 RainSongs (CH-WS, OM, and an older model) and a McPherson Sable and Touring.

All I can say is "wow". So that's what I've been missing. Here in AZ, the land of low humidity, a guitar that one can leave out on a stand all year round makes all kinds of sense.

Thanks so much to Kramster for his hospitality and being a guitar 'bro! I had a blast - there's far worse ways to spend an afternoon than noodling on guitars and BS'ing with a buddy.

Some of this above make a me blush... any way... was fun showing the kids and hear them played by someone else... sixx posing with the guitars is model material..photos on Monday ...made for a few hours worth starting a thread about... well that sure worked out as here it is.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:45 AM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber