The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-09-2019, 07:31 AM

Default Newbie Effects Loop Question

I just got my first electric guitar which i'm playing through my Fishman Loudbox Mini and am now looking to get a real electric guitar amplifier. I'm confused about how the effects loop feature. From what I read, the Send output is the pre-out and the Receive is the power amp input. Intuitively then, I would assume that you need a patch cord between the two for when you don't use pedals. But that doesn't seem to be the case. So what am I missing?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering a Bugera V22 which does not have an Aux In or a headphone jack. I was thinking that I could use a mixer in the effects loop to add those features and, in the case of headphones, just leave the Receive input disconnected to silence the speaker.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:39 AM

If you are not using the loop, you wouldn't need to patch in anything, they are passive until you use them.

There are also parallel and serial loops, most amps loops are serial.

The biggest difference is a parallel loop, the signal is not interrupted if you unplug one of the leads to the loop. With a serial loop. if you unplug at the amp, the signal chain will be interrupted. depending on the fx used, the parallel loop can achieve a smoother sound with things like delays and chorus pedals, and many amps have a MIX control to govern how much of the loop is blended with the sound.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:01 AM

What I don't understand is, how does the pre-amp output get to the power stage if there's no effects loop or patch cord connected? Is there in internal connection that's disconnected when a loop is connected?
Old 10-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduray View Post
What I don't understand is, how does the pre-amp output get to the power stage if there's no effects loop or patch cord connected? Is there in internal connection that's disconnected when a loop is connected?
basically, yes.. when nothing is in either jack, it's in bypass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars